Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Csonicgo

Re: Smooth Doom (With Dynamic Lights!)

Post by Csonicgo »

I didn't read every page in this thread (as it's 14 pages!) but I really like this mod!
At the risk of repeating possible past posters' posts (pfft) I'll Go ahead and give my thoughts on it.

There are some things that stand out as weird though:

Some of the death animations are too fast, notably the death animations from the original game. The original game suggested a slight bit of struggle as an enemy fell, not losing his balance as quickly as he seems to do with Smooth Doom. The end result is that the deaths look like cartoonish cardboard. A quick way to fix this would be to slow down the frames at the start, and then keep the speed you have already when he falls. some of the other death animations are cool but they seem almost *too* slow, most notable is when the Imp flails a bit and falls forward.

Some of these animations have odd shading. I can't really describe this other than the contrast may seem too much or too little from death animation to death animation, or some frames feel "flat", like these:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Another weird omission is the lack of sounds on the new, longer "agonizing" deaths. It's weird to have a death sound followed by what feels like seconds of extra animation. the death screams in doom fit the animations for the most part, so when a death animation lasts much longer than the originals, it stands out a lot.

The fist needs some work. Doomguy's arm has a black outline to it that seems to rapidly change shade as the animations play out.

I know making extra animations is a lot of work, especially when you don't have all the source materials (clay models? Bah!) but Doom is so iconic and each sprite so well known that any derivation from them have to keep up to snuff with the original ones, which is probably a near impossible task to get 100% correct. But this is a great start and a tremendous effort so far, and I'll love to see what happens with it!
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

I'll be the first to defend the death animations with the fact that he didn't make them, only used very common already-existing animations. (Some solid reworking wouldn't hurt though.) the weapons, likewise, have more or less gone untouched from Perkistan's originals.

I do agree with some of the death animation speeds, however.
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

This mod is fantastic and I would like to see it going. I have pretty much tried many mods out there and all of them take Doom into a way too serious level with uber-realistic movements and many more. At least there's this mod and I seriously love it. Keep it going, it's excellent.
Jrockity

Post by Jrockity »

In GZDoom, with wads that use a custom palette like Back to Saturn X, the sprites show odd colors. Is there a way to fix this?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Onar4241 wrote:This mod is fantastic and I would like to see it going. I have pretty much tried many mods out there and all of them take Doom into a way too serious level with uber-realistic movements and many more. At least there's this mod and I seriously love it. Keep it going, it's excellent.
Thank you very much! That makes me feel groovy.

Speaking of groovy, update is incoming in a day or two.
Last edited by Gifty on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Jrockity wrote:In GZDoom, with wads that use a custom palette like Back to Saturn X, the sprites show odd colors. Is there a way to fix this?
That happens with all mods that use Doom graphic format. You'd have to go and reconvert everything to PNG
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Wow, somehow I missed Jrockity's post while replying to the one above. Guess I took too long typing.

Well god damn, I hadn't anticipated that palettes would be busted; I deliberately kept everything Doom format just so it would play nice with custom playpals (I can't live without technipal, myself). I guess converting back to PNG would fix the more blatant color screwups, but then those graphics would be stuck in their saved palette forever and custom playpals would have no effect on them, which would be kind of a pisser too.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Why don't we have both?
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

mallo wrote:Why don't we have both?
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gifty wrote:Wow, somehow I missed Jrockity's post while replying to the one above. Guess I took too long typing.

Well god damn, I hadn't anticipated that palettes would be busted; I deliberately kept everything Doom format just so it would play nice with custom playpals (I can't live without technipal, myself). I guess converting back to PNG would fix the more blatant color screwups, but then those graphics would be stuck in their saved palette forever and custom playpals would have no effect on them, which would be kind of a pisser too.
It's not a "screwup," it's BTSX's custom palette, which removes some "redundant" identical colours and uses the spaces to add some new colours. It's the same reason Brutal Doom can't be run properly with it. This is a problem with BTSX; you can't sit there and make a custom version of SmoothDoom that works with everything ever.

It's the end user's job to know what their wads are doing, and how to fix minor clashes. In the case of BTSX, literally anyone with a copy of SLADE3 can open up SmoothDoom, select all the sprites, right click on them, and press "Convert Gfx to PNG," and be done with it.
Jrockity

Post by Jrockity »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Gifty wrote:Wow, somehow I missed Jrockity's post while replying to the one above. Guess I took too long typing.

It's not a "screwup," it's BTSX's custom palette, which removes some "redundant" identical colours and uses the spaces to add some new colours. It's the same reason Brutal Doom can't be run properly with it. This is a problem with BTSX; you can't sit there and make a custom version of SmoothDoom that works with everything ever.

It's the end user's job to know what their wads are doing, and how to fix minor clashes. In the case of BTSX, literally anyone with a copy of SLADE3 can open up SmoothDoom, select all the sprites, right click on them, and press "Convert Gfx to PNG," and be done with it.
Okay, so there are three PNG formats to convert to. There is truecolor, paletted, and alpha. Which one do I want to select?
mallo

Post by mallo »

Not alpha. You may want to choose paletted, just to slim out the file size. (Remember to choose doom palette!)
Jrockity

Post by Jrockity »

mallo wrote:Not alpha. You may want to choose paletted, just to slim out the file size. (Remember to choose doom palette!)
Thanks.

I do have another question, when I run Smooth Doom with BTSX, the custom liquid doesn't move (like at the start of level 1). The water on all the walls still flows, but the pools stand still. What is causing this?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Smooth Doom defines its own liquid animations, so it conflicts with custom liquid textures. The waterfall still kind of works because I haven't yet defined a custom animation for it. Between this and the switch issues, I'm looking into a way to make SD's texture component optional.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Update get! Notable changes: I finished the missing zombie missile rotations, added rotating keys (couldn't hold out any longer), and put in some alternate skins for the zombieman. That last one is supposed to be optional but this update is so overdue I had to delay the toggle switch and also the classic style torches until next time. Oh, and the bloodsplats finally look more appropriate; I had a strange fondness for the creepy hi-res ones, but I understand this has been a long time coming. Thanks to Nash for his impeccable gore sprites on that one.

Check the full report, it's quite tasty.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”