[Boom] Stomper Beta 1-C - Needs your testing help!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alterworldruler

[Boom] Stomper Beta 1-C - Needs your testing help!

Post by Alterworldruler »

http://www.doomworld.com/20years/best3.php

If you don't know what Stomper is by now, it is an unfinished 32-map BOOM megawad by Nmn, who was unable to complete it due being occupied with his personal life all the time, eventually resulting in a cancellation.

It had some new textures, some new graphics, new sprites and some other stuff, making it a little unfinished partial conversion.

Now, what the cacowards page hinted at, was this. I am intending to finish Stomper with Nmn's permission and his wishes to be fulfilled as he told me in a mail. It's gonna take a while to get all the maps up to snuff, but I will try.

So far to give you a run down of things that changed since I picked the mod up:

- The map order has been reorganised.
- Some maps had to be cut on Nmn's request due quality issues.
- Now it contains a full soundtrack consisting of Nmn's midi tunes.
- Unfinished maps were finished and many others were changed and polished, some still require polish.

What's ahead?
- Polishing until September/October release.

Now, have the beta! Containing all the maps except Xaser's 20 but I put a special placeholder map in it's place for now that won't waste your time.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN TERMS OF TESTING:
- Bugs, Bugs and even more Bug reports!
- Balance feedback
- What could be improved visually
- Your feelings on the mod or each map.

Beta link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmk8qgw7jq63w ... Beta1c.zip
YOU NEED TO LAUNCH THE BEX FILE TOO TO ENSURE MAP29/30 WILL WORK CORRECTLY!!

Map names, description and screenshots:

MAP13: The Slums - You thought you stopped the mutant outbreak in Union's top secret facilties but it turns out it's only gotten worse and it has reached your home land.

MAP15: Tremont City - The resistance is long gone as this city's been torn to flames by the mutants. As you become outraged by the dramatic sight, you pick up the shotgun and the chaingun, all you feel, is the revenge.

MAP28: Spirit Path - As you descend in the levels of "Hell" trying to find the source of the outbreak. You stumble upon a weird dimension that is like a void, only thing you can tell, is that this path will be hell of a trip.

Also obligatory current maplist:

Map 01 - Incoming! - COMPLETE

Map 02 - Security Point - COMPLETE

Map 03 - Radar Base - COMPLETE

Map 04 - Human Outpost - COMPLETE

Map 05 - Fusion Plant - COMPLETE

Map 06 - Mainframe - COMPLETE

Map 07 - The Barricade - COMPLETE

Map 08 - Scrapyards - Requires tweaking, poor gameplay, poor details, crap texturing

Map 09 - Flow Control - COMPLETE

Map 10 - Toxic Yards - COMPLETE

Map 11 - The Bloodtower - COMPLETE

Map 12 - Grand Gate - COMPLETE

Map 13 - The Slums - COMPLETE

Map 14 - City Outskirts - COMPLETE

Map 15 - Tremont City - COMPLETE

Map 16 - The Bastion - COMPLETE

Map 17 - Outer Power Plant - COMPLETE

Map 18 - Assault (old map32) - COMPLETE

Map 19 - Blacktown Powerplant - COMPLETE

Map 20 - Union Halls - Xaser's working on it, soon to be complete.

Map 21 - Chambers of Torment - COMPLETE

Map 22 - Castle Crossack - COMPLETE

Map 23 - Grindhouse - COMPLETE

Map 24 - Twisted Keep - COMPLETE

Map 25 - The Feeding Pit - COMPLETE

Map 26 - Queen of South - COMPLETE

Map 27 - Lost Sanctum - COMPLETE

Map 28 - The Spirit Path - COMPLETE

Map 29 - City of Babel - COMPLETE

Map 30 - The Machine - COMPLETE

Map 31 - Bad Mojo - COMPLETE

Map 32 - Ezxzentiel - requires gameplay and architecture tweaking
Last edited by Alterworldruler on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ribo Zurai

Re: [Boom] Stomper Restoration Project - Demo included!

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Whoa. That looks awesome! Looking forward this project.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Holy cow this one looks great ! I'll go check those demos right away :D

EDIT : I have this message when starting the mod

Execution could not continue.

No player classes defined

I have been able to play it with a small patch i made with the player class defined and i must say it's really fun to play. VERY hard even at the "I don't want to die" difficulty but still enjoyable enough to be played over and over again.

This one will be really good :D
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

I wonder if I can use that spiffy SSG sprite set O:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Sorry to report the SSG and the Chaingun are the only weapon not usable once picked up in this mod. Probably because they don't have the same name as the default doom weapons. That or it's just because the spites used in the actor def are not present in the wad. Note that the fist and the pistol aren't showing unless the "give all" cheat is used. However, any weapon mods should work fine as long as the player class is defined.

I tested it with my own mods and then with Project MSX and Brutal Doom and it's working correctly.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I'm not seeing any of the issues Endless is describing. There are no actor definitions or playerclasses in this project at all. It's just graphics, sounds, and maps.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Maybe you could enlighten me then, why i get this error if i don't use any other mod (with player class defined)? Could it be because i'm using the zdoom launcher to start gzdoom or could it be something else?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Endless123 wrote:Maybe you could enlighten me then, why i get this error if i don't use any other mod (with player class defined)? Could it be because i'm using the zdoom launcher to start gzdoom or could it be something else?
I can't possibly imagine why you're getting these issues. Go ahead and look inside the Stomper wad. There's nothing in there but graphics, sounds, and maps.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I know i already checked thats why i'm clueless. After i checked the wad with Slade it's clear to me that the problem is on my side and not on the wad side. I'll run a scan to check if something malicious could cause that. I'll also clear the temp files just in case.

Sorry for the false alarm.

EDIT : After a quick scan and i reboot my pc, everything is normal now. I guess it's an other one of the Windows mysteries that won't be solved. Gremlins in the engine as someone i know would say :lol:
Alterworldruler

How about some feedback gentlemen? It's necessary to make it better.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Alterworldruler wrote:How about some feedback gentlemen? It's necessary to make it better.
Well here is some,

Good points : very big maps, nice weapon sprites, nice HUD, good music, challenging enemy placements, many places to take cover and think about a plan before jumping into battle.

Bad points : due to the immense maps it's easy to get confused and get lost meaning the player can search for a keycard or for a passage for a long time before finding a clue to where to go next (specially problematic on the third map with all those high structures, ledges and lots of enemies that can spot the player from very far), a large number of enemies are high grounded and can get our ass quickly without even been noticed( however if the player can jump over 10 it's not much of a problem), lack of firepower( i know the weapons do the default damages but when surrounded by over 20 imps and shotgunners and you haven't find the SSG yet you start to call your mommy to send you one :lol: )

In short it's a challenging wad which needs only a few improvements.

Of course it's just my opinion, a hard map for me can be an easy map for others that's why i hope others who played this wad will tell you what they think about it. It's hard to know if nobody tells anything isn't it :P
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

It looks beautiful, and I really enjoy the first map. The second looks great, but I'm finding a tremendous spike in difficulty compared to the first..
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

great looking there, mr. gatling gun! also gotta play this right now!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This seems kinda cool, but I really feel like these awesome new weapon graphics need to have some more awesome sounds to go with them. It just feels weird that three of the weapons sound like the original Doom shotgun.
Alterworldruler

Re: [Boom] Stomper Beta 1 - Needs your testing help!

Beta 1's out gents! Read the main post for the link and what kind of testing help I need with this wad. Test the entire wad please :).

Mind you this is the first out of planned betas, so lots of things will be probably improved if there's any real feedback. However, not to say it doesn't represent the final product, it does, it is pretty much the final product minus some polishing and testing!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”