Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: ALIENS (HD) / ALIENS:The Ultimate Doom

Post by Endless123 »

Great, i can't wait to play them :)
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Here is the progress I've made thus far on the new Xenomorph sprite sheet. These sprites are about as large as the queen sprite I made a while ago. I will scale them down in-game. They will also be the basis for the new Warrior, and Runner sprites. Once I complete this drone sprite sheet; creating the other xenomorphs will be relatively quick and easy.

I will have the enemies as a separate pk3 files; there will be two types:

Standard-Resolution Enemies (These will be the original sprites I used; the ones found in Beta 8.0)

Higher-Resolution Enemies (These will be the new Xenomorphs, based on the sprite sheet attached to this post)
Kontra Kommando

Here are some screen shots of the new xenomorph sprites, in addition to some new custom textures.

Valken

Post by Valken »

Textures and sprites looks great! It would be cool if you can animate the sprite so it is dripping saliva as it walks by. :D
Kontra Kommando

Valken wrote:Textures and sprites looks great! It would be cool if you can animate the sprite so it is dripping saliva as it walks by. :D
I was thinking about creating a new actor, by scaling down the acid blood, to resemble saliva droplets. Further, I would script it so it would fall downwards, and slightly forward, during the xenomorph's preliminary-offensive stance, and melee attack.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Kontra Kommando wrote:
Valken wrote:Textures and sprites looks great! It would be cool if you can animate the sprite so it is dripping saliva as it walks by. :D
I was thinking about creating a new actor, by scaling down the acid blood, to resemble saliva droplets. Further, I would script it so it would fall downwards, and slightly forward, during the xenomorph's preliminary-offensive stance, and melee attack.
That would be great to see.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

Ok, so I have a few pointers:
ART:
-The new sprites, as awesome as they look, I do think the grey patch on the top of the head looks somewhat out of place, especially in the front-facing.
-Aside from that, amazing work.
GAMEPLAY:
-Horror Gameplay Design Tips:
-[Behavior] xenomorphs should kill the player quickly, but you should also make sure the player can take more than a few hits - unless you get cornered, the player should be able to recover from mistakes. That, and if you die too much, the game gets a lot less scary, just from "welp, here's the part where I save-die-reload".
-[Gameplay Design] If you intend to make xenomorphs a survival horror monster, make sure they don't become too common - I'd say 1-2 at a time works pretty well. 4 should be the maximum, and at that point, it's more about the player getting the hell outta dodge.
-[Gameplay Design] xenomorphs should wander throughout the map when they don't have the player directly in his line of sight - meaning that the player can't be absolutely certain that he's safe at any point, because some xenomorph might just happen to find him, that and he's never safe because he cannot be certain the locations of the xenomorphs.
-[Map Design] If you're making maps, I know this seems like quite a difficult request (because it is), but I'd love to see if instead of having a static map layout with the enemies in it, the xenomorphs are instead spawned into that map, at seemingly random intervals. This way, the player is ultimately pressured, under the knowledge that he cannot know whether or not he is actually safe.
-Action Gameplay Design Tips:
-[Behavior] See the above about xenomorph deadliness.
-[Gameplay Design] Make sure there's enough ammo - if I have to resort to punching xenomorphs, I'm kind of completely dead. This thankfully doesn't happen often, but be careful about this.

Now, I'm not saying this is necessarily bad; in fact, a lot of what you've done is awesome, awesome work.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Kontra Kommando wrote: Any suggestions on particular areas that are lacking smooth animation? I think the running, and crawling are pretty good, but perhaps the attacking frames could use more.
It's a little hard to explain, but someone told a lot of pages back that the more realistic the sprite looks, the harder to make it look fluid and realistic while moving around and that proved to be true. I think that when i see a realistic looking sprite i expect that it would move like a 3D model of some sort, with dozens of frames for each movement (which is obviously a discrepancy on my part). It would also be completely impractical do such thing, considering you're taking the frames out of the xenomorph toy, and it should have a lot of limitations in terms of movements compared to, say, AvP 2 xeno model. However, i think that i won't feel the same about the new "low res" xenomorphs, even if they use the same sprites as base, since they look more like a hand draw enemy.

ps: i really liked these new xenos. They fit the mood of the game perfectly.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Kontra Kommando wrote:
Endless123 wrote:How about U.S.S. Xeno or U.S.S. Doomed Marines :lol:

Kidding aside no matter the name this map will surely still be really fun to play :)
I've continued to focus on creating those sprites for the new xenomorphs. Moreover, I've created more custom textures, and remakes of the hive textures, for Aliens: The Ultimate Doom. I think I will make custom levels for it.
Well if you want me to, i can re-watch the first couple of alien films and take a crack at mapping for this.
Kontra Kommando

Here's a refined version of the Xenomorph Drone.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Untitled wrote:Ok, so I have a few pointers:
GAMEPLAY:
-Horror Gameplay Design Tips:
-[Behavior] xenomorphs should kill the player quickly, but you should also make sure the player can take more than a few hits - unless you get cornered, the player should be able to recover from mistakes. That, and if you die too much, the game gets a lot less scary, just from "welp, here's the part where I save-die-reload".
-[Gameplay Design] If you intend to make xenomorphs a survival horror monster, make sure they don't become too common - I'd say 1-2 at a time works pretty well. 4 should be the maximum, and at that point, it's more about the player getting the hell outta dodge.
-[Gameplay Design] xenomorphs should wander throughout the map when they don't have the player directly in his line of sight - meaning that the player can't be absolutely certain that he's safe at any point, because some xenomorph might just happen to find him, that and he's never safe because he cannot be certain the locations of the xenomorphs.
-[Map Design] If you're making maps, I know this seems like quite a difficult request (because it is), but I'd love to see if instead of having a static map layout with the enemies in it, the xenomorphs are instead spawned into that map, at seemingly random intervals. This way, the player is ultimately pressured, under the knowledge that he cannot know whether or not he is actually safe.
-Action Gameplay Design Tips:
-[Behavior] See the above about xenomorph deadliness.
-[Gameplay Design] Make sure there's enough ammo - if I have to resort to punching xenomorphs, I'm kind of completely dead. This thankfully doesn't happen often, but be careful about this.

Now, I'm not saying this is necessarily bad; in fact, a lot of what you've done is awesome, awesome work.
Are you talking about this mod or Alien: Isolation? Cause these points ring true for both this mod and that game.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Those sprites look amazing, keep it up!
Kontra Kommando

Here's a little preview of something I've been working on.
wpninja

Post by wpninja »

Just curious but are you going to be adding the the limb hitbox detection feature that brutal doom20b is going to use in this mod or is there no need for it?
Kontra Kommando

wpninja wrote:Just curious but are you going to be adding the the limb hitbox detection feature that brutal doom20b is going to use in this mod or is there no need for it?
I will be exploring new ways to improve upon the current layout of the actor scripts. But I don't want to use that specific code from brutal doom; in respect to brutal doom.

I am also working on something else that I will leave to be a surprise. As for now, I am currently recoloring over one thousand sprite frames, and I will add the HD blood I made from the other Aliens project.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”