Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Valherran

Re: ALIENS (TC) 2016 / Aliens: The Ultimate Doom Beta 9.2

Post by Valherran »

Ah, an update. That HD MOD has been keeping you busy these days.
JimpArgon wrote:
Endless123 wrote:I only have one personal complain about the aliens, they look a bit taller than usual, or it's our protagonist that is small :lol: They also look a bit slim and norrow compared to what we used to see
Don't listen to this guy. He clearly has not seen Aliens or knows much about them. Their size is just fine and they do no look "too slim" at all.

I really liked the ship demo a lot! The HD aliens and the atmosphere was perfect.
It's kind of hard to tell the height with the Xenomorph sitting in that posture, but generally they average 7 feet in height. It looks about right in size, but again, hard to tell.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

JimpArgon wrote:
Endless123 wrote:I only have one personal complain about the aliens, they look a bit taller than usual, or it's our protagonist that is small :lol: They also look a bit slim and norrow compared to what we used to see
Don't listen to this guy. He clearly has not seen Aliens or knows much about them. Their size is just fine and they do no look "too slim" at all.

I really liked the ship demo a lot! The HD aliens and the atmosphere was perfect.
That was a joke man, i though it was clear but i guess i was wrong :P

BTW "this guy who clearely has not seen Aliens" has a mod FULL of them with what i could call the first Alien generation make by the man - Kontra Kommando himself. So yeah i guess i know nothing about Aliens :lol:
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Endless123 wrote:BTW "this guy who clearely has not seen Aliens" has a mod FULL of them with what i could call the first Alien generation make by the man - Kontra Kommando himself. So yeah i guess i know nothing about Aliens :lol:
Ya.... I may have jumped the gun with that statement. Sorry. I forgot you are helping with the AVP project which I adore. My apologies.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

JimpArgon wrote:Ya.... I may have jumped the gun with that statement. Sorry. I forgot you are helping with the AVP project which I adore. My apologies.
To makes things clear the AVP project is my baby, sort of :lol: However the next release is made in collabaration with jdredalert and since the revamped sprites job (whish is about 90% of the work to do)is entirely his work i included his name in the title, to honor his gigantic contribution. But let's not advertize my mod, it's Kontra's thread and i don't want to highjack it.

BTW you don't have to apologize. Everybody makes mistakes even me ;) Besides i can't expect everyone to know about the collaboration between Kontra Kommando, jdredalert and me on our respective projects. KK's mod is so much fun - even if i die a lot :lol:

Kontra's mods and maps are awesome and he put a lot of efforts into them and it's showing a lot in the results. That's why i really enjoy this mod, as i said even if i die a lot while playing it :lol:
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

I'm re-doing the walking frames, and altering the original sprites I made, significantly in photo shop. Moreover, I have darkened the dome of the Xenomorph, to be more like the movie.

The sprite sheet is huge, so you'll need to click on the link.

http://i.imgur.com/uHwSgWN.png
BFG

Post by BFG »

you seem like somebody who knows his stuff, this feels like an official Alien game, I use to play that Alien TC back in the day, and this is a great new experience.
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

There is a version of zdoom? (SORRY MY ENGLISH)
Kontra Kommando

I have place my order on amazon for this Neca figure, of the Weyland Yutani Commando, from Alien 3. I have also endeavored to utilize the original HD sprites I made. However, I have actually reduced their resolution by about 70%. They are still very detailed, but mesh much better with the standard doom-style resolution textures. I have also downloaded the Alien Vs Predator 2 (2001 Monolith) textures from Realm667, because they work much better with the HD sprites. The sprites and textures together look reminiscent of something you would see on playstation, Jaguar, or an arcade game from the 90s. I want to make a few levels with the initial HD xenomorph drone, and eventually create similar HD sprites for the other monsters. The next sprites I would work on would be the WY commandos.

Here's a example of the new reduced version of the HD sprites I will use.
Last edited by Kontra Kommando on Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

They look good i was wondering if you were still working on this lol
Kontra Kommando

armymen12002003 wrote:They look good i was wondering if you were still working on this lol
The other day, I realized that if I were to reduce the HD sprites, they would be a lot more malleable. I decided to try it out, and it gave me some motivation to put the HD sprites to use.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Ok
goanna678

Post by goanna678 »

will you add rocket launchers?
Captain22

Post by Captain22 »

Hi everyone, how's it going in LV-426? Just chillin' with some predators and fuckin' razorsharp bugs roaming around. Anyway, let me tell you something : I'm the BIGGEST fucking fan of this mod. I seriously think this is the best Doom mod I've ever played (at least, so far, heheh). The randomization of the maps is definitely a huge plus. Each time you play the game, it's truly a different experience. Usually I play with either Maps of Chaos or MARSWARS. Sometimes when I load up E1M1, it's the complete dead silence : not a sound being heard. Then the next time I load up E1M1, it's a fucking warzone with the Predator constantly yelling in pain while being ripped to shreads by a Praetorian, or the loud Pulse Rifle sounds being fired from afar by a squad of hopeless marines while they are being mauled at by a horde of xenomorphs. Then, sometimes when I load up MARSWARS MAP03, I open the first door near the map starting point only to find out that a horde of sneaky aliens (about 50) was just there waiting for the perfect ambush zone, so I need to immediately drop off my only two sentry guns and pray so that I don't get fucked. I seriously consider it to be the best gameplay conversion mod I've played. Heck, I can't wait to fuck up Extermination Day with this. It will look wrong (killing Cyberdemons with M41A's, fuck yeah) but it will definitely be fun, even if that is being made for Brutal Doom support first and foremost. I don't even care. I WANT TO SHOOT MORE ALIENS GODDAMNIT! Oh and can't wait to see a bunch of young queens being killed off with airstrikes coming from old ass 20th century jet fighters.

What I'm about to say will sound VERY harsh from my part, but it's actually because I REALLY love this mod. Since I honestly think it's the best, I think there's still further improvement and I honestly think that perfection can be reached. That's why I'm pretty much posting this message. I want to see this mod to be THE perfect Colonial Marines experience. To make players feel like they're actually in LV-426. To feel like they're in hell. So if anyone's reading this and you're working on the mod, PLEASE listen at least. I'm not asking that ALL of this gets available in the next version ASAP. Take the time needed.

Without further ado, here's my 3 hour seminary on how to make the perfect Aliens game :

So while I'm anxious to see the new upcoming versions of Aliens The Ultimate Doom, I was reading the ZDoom forum posts. I saw that you want to replace the sprites with ones based on toy models you've bought (just like Id Software did with the base game sprites) and replace the world textures with AVP2 textures (which are super high quality and I absolutely love them), but are you going to replace some of the weapon sprites too?

Seriously, they need a big overhaul so that they can match these high quality assets. Otherwise it will just look wrong. I think the sprites in Aliens Online, Alien Trilogy and Aliens vs Predator Jaguar (in that order) look really good and ripe for ripping, and maybe these would better fit the new graphics scheme. Or maybe even high-quality ripping from AVP99/AVP2/AVP2010/Aliens CM would work. Because by the way it's going on now, it won't make the cut. Some of the weapons look downright messy and pixelated, like the shotguns for example. While they don't look "HORRIBLE" (they actually match the environments and enemies quite well, for now), they'll have to go if the goal is to make the mod more visually appealing and consistent. Some of the sprites are absolutely BEAUTIFUL though. The M41A is fucking flawless. The Flamethrower too. I can barely see ANY pixels in these, maybe the flames in the flamethrower, but even then I don't care. They look crystal clear. If you can make all of the other weapon sprites look similar to the quality of the ones of the Pulse Rifle and the Flamethrower, that would be the ideal. On second thought, some of the weapon sprites in AVP Jaguar look horrid (like the M41A, which looks TOTALLY FUCKING WRONG), but with cleverness, there might be another function for the other ones.

On top of that, some of the weapon functions are DEFINITELY wrong, or at least don't abide to canon.

-The M41A has a 99 rounds magazine, not a 95 rounds mag like in the mod. The rate of fire is also incorrect, being roughly more or less 1100 rounds per minute, instead of the correct 900. What about giving the weapon a four round burst mode like in Aliens? Also, if I were you, I'd remove some of the weapons that work too identically from another. For example, the scoped M41A when you play as a Combat Synthetic. It's way too similar to the M41A in terms of use and even shares the same ammo. I think the weapon arsenal should be varied enough so that each weapon truly feels different and unique, like in Halo. If every weapon feels the same, the gameplay is no more better than Call of Duty. Which is why people hate Aliens Colonial Marines so much, and why people usually prefer the other AVP games instead, because all of the weapons truly feel special and different. So no multiple versions of the M41A, no multiple shotguns that work the exact same way but with just a different reload, nothing like that.

-The Smartgun does NOT just hold 150 rounds; it holds 500 rounds per magazine. The rate of fire is also incorrect, being roughly 900 rounds per minute (I tested and calculated it myself, 150 rounds in 10 seconds, multiply that 10 seconds per 6 and you get 900) instead of the correct 1200. The Minigun in the mod is actually closer to what the Smartgun should really be than the Smartgun currently is itself. As for the rest, it works as it should, and the tracking mode is especially impressive and works just like the canon one, unlike most other interpretations of it. My congratulations in that department.

-The Minigun technically isn't canon either, and has only ever appeared in AVP99 and AVP2. It has always been supposed to be a small nod towards the Predator movies. It's not supposed to be here. The Smartgun already pretty much completely fills the roll of a full on Minigun. Again, weapons that feel too similar between each other. Get rid of it completely.

-The USCM doesn't use Desert Eagles either, and it puzzles me that you can magically turn 9mm magazines from the ground into full on 50 caliber pistol rounds. Their pistols are the Heckler & Koch VP70 and then the M4 Pistol which is a fully automatic 9mm pistol that looks like a Colt 1911 and has a 12 round clip. There's also the VP78 Pistol from AVP2010 but that weapon is technically just a successor to the VP70 and as such are basically the same except for appearance. Both the VP70 and the M4 Pistol use 9mm ammo. While you can say that both weapons feel similar to each other, I think that this is where the class system comes in : since some of the weapons like the pistols can ONLY be picked up by choosing a class, you can have both the M4 (an automatic Pistol) and the VP70.

-According to the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual and even AVP2010, there should be a secondary fire mode for the flamethrower where you can turn off the nozzle burner so that you can just spray the raw thickened fuel in the flamethrower canister. TL;DR : The secondary fire mode of the flamethrower in AVP2010. Put it in there.

-Didn't the marines in AVP2010/A:CM use full on glove sets? (Like in http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads ... _hands.jpg?) It's more realistic considering that modern military prohibits the use of fingerless gloves and strictly enforces the use of full gloves for heat protection. Not to mention that the original Doomguy glove sprites look better than the hand drawn fingerless ones in the mod. There's a ton of different sprite templates of Doomguy's hands, and no doubt there should be one with black gloves or a different set of gloves entirely.
http://s632.photobucket.com/user/Snarbo ... s.png.html
(The link to the glove sprite templates were made by Snarboo in this very forum, on top of that the glove colors can easily be recolored, just look below for the exact pixel shades)

General improvements :

-Get rid of the current shotgun sprites. Replace them with the Aliens Online shotgun ones. Now. Add whatever shotgun sprite you want : the single barreled one or the other double barreled one in the earlier Aliens The Ultimate Doom versions. Either way, shotgun holds 6 or 8 shells, respectively. Or you can add both shotguns and be done with that, however one shotgun would only fire one pellet and the other two at the same time, all the time.

-Add a 6th game mode dubbed "Realistic" which, as it says, makes the game more realistic. Default walking speed is actually half the speed of vanilla walking (0.5), and running is barely faster (1.5x) than walking in vanilla Doom. Pressing the run key also drains out your stamina. All enemies have their health halved, while your resistance to damage is also halved. Dying from radioactive water or acid water for example is quite easy and fast. Yes, it can unbalance some maps, but if it does, you can always switch to the other modes which have vanilla settings.

-It's weird that most of the marines in the mod never seem to shoot enemies until they actually see you. How about randomly spawning marines that start reacting to stuff once they see you WITH marines that shoot at things even when they DON'T have eye contact with you? I know that people complained that the marines in the mod were basically eradicating the maps of enemies clean, but let's be honest : it's also weird that the marines in the map just stand there motionless doing nothing until they actually see you. It's just weird. In some circumstances, you may see a horde of aliens going after you across a hallway, and once you deal with those aliens and go across the hallway, you just see two dumbass marines just standing there, doing jack shit. Again, spawn marines that DO shoot at things once the map starts ALONGSIDE marines that DON'T shoot at things until they have eye contact with you.

-Add chestburster enemies, maybe? Oh and, what about randomly spawning marines that, in a random interval, they suddenly die because a chestburster got out of them? Heck, even have them cough up and vomit on the floor at random intervals too, to signal you that they have a chestburster.

Other things I think are missing in the mod :

-The mod is also definitely missing a sniper rifle. Maybe you could take the M41A sprite in Alien Trilogy, recolor it to grey (so that it looks like the M42C Scoped Rifle in AVP2010) and bam. Then slap some M42C sounds from AVP2010 and voala, you got your M42C Rifle from AVP2010, Alien Trilogy style. Secondary fire actually fires the same grenades as the M41A, and even shares the same ammo pool. The main weapon ammo however, is different.

-The famous XM99A Phased Plasma Rifle is missing. Maybe you could rip the Flamethrower sprite from AVP Jaguar and then recolor it so that it looks like the one in Aliens Colonial Marines. Obviously, it won't be 100% the same (as a matter of fact, not NEARLY the same thing) but it will at least look like a rifle that shoots plasma thingies. After all, the "flamethrower" in AVP Jaguar doesn't look much like a flamethrower in the first place, so people won't notice this much at all.

-The famous "Sharp Stick" is missing too. Maybe you could use that horrid AVP Jaguar M41A sprite, recolor it to black and you have your rifle. While it may look similar to the M41A, the uses would be different since it's an explosive weapon first and foremost.

-The famous "Sonic Electronic Ballbreaker" is missing as well. You could use the grenade sprites from Aliens Online as a base and then do some magic. GZDoom's lighting and lightning effects would look awesome with this.

-What about the land mine sprites from Aliens Online? I'm sure there could be a way to use it somehow... AS A LAND MINE! Of course. Add land mines. Plz.

Miscellaneous improvements :

-Make the Motion Tracker a "weapon". What I mean is, a weapon that you can only get with one type of class, or that you can find on the ground. On top of that it could also be battery operated, so everytime you hold it the battery drains out, and to find more battery you need to pickup other motion trackers randomly spawned on the map.

-Get rid of the "Combat Synthetic" class. Maybe you could add another class of synthetic with brand new sprites for him, but it's weird that you get to play as a Weyland Yutani synthetic, yet the other ones still shoot at you and the marines actually don't shoot at you. According to the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual, each platoon has a android that assists the Platoon Commander. Moreover, each class would also make you start with each individual weapon available in the mod.
How the classes should work :
Rifleman : VP70 Pistol, M41A Pulse Rifle, two Sentry guns
Support : VP70 Pistol, Flamethrower, Motion Tracker
Machine Gunner : VP70 Pistol, Smartgun
Section Sergeant : M4 Pistol, Shotgun, Ball Breakers
Platoon Commander : M4 Pistol, Phased Plasma Rifle
Pilot : M4 Pistol, Sharp Stick, Flares
Android : VP70 Pistol, M42C Rifle

-Remove weapons with the laser sight attachment. Why? Apparently the laser itself tends to make most enemies in the map aware (even if none even saw the laser at all) and even triggers objects. For example, MAP01 in Starter Pack. Just aim the laser at the switch and apparently it explodes. Sort of weird.

-Add complete FreeDoom compatibility. Replace all remaining assets in Doom with new ones. Primarily, the font in the HUD (the one that says your health status, like "Good", "Super", "Critical", whatnot) and other sprites with new ones. Also replace all the other sounds in vanilla Doom with brand new ones from the AVP games.

-Weapon ammo pools should also be rebalanced in the following way : you can carry 5 magazines of said weapon without a backpack, or 10 magazines of the same weapon. For example, you can carry 495 Pulse Rifle rounds without backpack, 990 with backpack.

"That's it, really". Pretty much what I think would be the complete badass experience. Oh and, remember to put an option to completely disable the HUD, please? Just like what Aliens Colonial Marines was supposed to be : a HUD-less FPS game.

Thanks for making the mod and I hope that it becomes the best thing ever in the Doom community. And I really wish for the best for the official map pack. That shit is gonna be badass!
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I'm pretty sure all of that stuff you mentioned above was already on the to-do list for change ever since the project split off. Keep in mind that it's just one person working on this MOD, so it will be a while before he gets to all of the stuff you mentioned.
Kontra Kommando

Re: ALIENS: Legacy

Deimos Anomaly of Aliens: Colonial Marines (TC) has merged his project with Aliens: The Ultimate Doom. Thus, Aliens: Legacy is born, and Deimos is hard at work creating brand new maps. I will continue to advance the Monsters, weapons, and other aspects, with help from Deimos Anomaly as well.

Ultimately, we want to bring the gameplay aspect, and combat of ALIENS Ultimate Doom, and combine it with the masterful level-design and atmosphere of Aliens: Colonial Marines (TC).

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Image Image

I am also editing the old xenosprites from ACM, to be a new version of the Runner. It works out well, because the Runner, is larger than the warrior and drone.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”