Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: Xenomorph Queen WIP/ Xeno Drone and Warrior/ MAP01

Post by Endless123 »

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:Heh... If my project can start [I literally have no skills, I appologise, but I have big plans for this thing, been working it over in my mind for a bit] you'll be seeing a lot of that.
I think almost all modders could tell you they had big ideas for mods way before they created their mods and it's the same for me. Not even 6 months ago i knew nothing about modding Doom but i've learned a lot and i'm sure you can do it too :)
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

New:

I now present to you, the dancing queen. Just kidding, this is a gif of the walking animation. Sorry for the slow progress on this one thus far; I'm juggling my work, and personal life along with this project. Moreover, the queen is much larger than my previous editions.

Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Who cares about slow, your work always been top quality so far and it worth waiting :)

As for the walking animation of the Queen it's really well done :) I'm eager to try it in-game :D

I might need to tuned up my Plasma Caster because that beast will not want anyone near her without kicking the invader's ass and trying to beat her in melee combat would probably be suicide so a long range weapon would be safer :P

Anyway good work once again :)
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:Who cares about slow, your work always been top quality so far and it worth waiting :)

As for the walking animation of the Queen it's really well done :) I'm eager to try it in-game :D

I might need to tuned up my Plasma Caster because that beast will not want anyone near her without kicking the invader's ass and trying to beat her in melee combat would probably be suicide so a long range weapon would be safer :P

Anyway good work once again :)
Thanks Endless! :D

She's sure going to be strong. I'm thinking 200 hp melee attack. or 100 hp melee attack with a random chance of x2.

The other Xenos I made are at speed 30. I think I will make her a bit slower; maybe 20. And I will not give her the strafing ability; probably would be way too hard, and it would look odd for a creature that size.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Yeah a big thing that size must be slower than the normal xenos. many times smaller creatures are faster than bigger ones (if we exclude the snails of course :lol: )
Kontra Kommando

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:Heh... If my project can start [I literally have no skills, I appologise, but I have big plans for this thing, been working it over in my mind for a bit] you'll be seeing a lot of that.
That's fine, I started creating simple vanilla maps about a year ago; took a long break, and then resumed. I started researching stuff about doom editing online, and asking a lot of questions. Collectively, I really only have a few months of Doom modding under my belt. I am sure if i can do it, you can do it too :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A couple of observations of things that might be slightly problematic when the sprite is in game.

The sprite is very tall and the distance between the legs is quite large. As a result, in game, the player will be facing an apparent wide open gap that looks like things can pass through but, given how Doom collision works, the "gap" will just be part of the solid cuboid actor. So rockets, plasma, whatever will apparently explode in thin air below the queen's crotch!

The sprite - particularly that wildly swinging tail - is very wide. The tail, in particular, it likely to be swinging around way outside the monster's collision box. As such, it is likely to pass through scenery etc and look bit odd. I have to say that the tail swinging that much looks wrong to me too. There aren't enough frames for that much movement so it looks very jumpy/slide-show-like.

Perhaps all of these problems could be addressed by making it so that the tail swings much less? That would eliminate the tail being too far out of the collision box (at least in the front view) and make it less of an open gap between the legs too.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I think the tail sways too much when it walks, other than it it looking pretty good.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Correct me if i'm wrong but the xeno Queen in Aliens2 don't have a tail so to solve the "problem" i think removing the tail could be an alternative. As for the gap between her legs it's not model related but a doom engine limitation so to me it doesn't really matters. I've seen a lot worse than that in a wad and it never prevented me to play :mrgreen:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Endless123 wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but the xeno Queen in Aliens2 don't have a tail...
Assuming you mean Aliens / Alien2, you're wrong. :P

You can just about see her tail here:
Spoiler:
And she even uses it to impale Bishop:
Spoiler:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

You are absolutely right :P I forgot that scene. I was thinking about the scene where she escaped the fire, she seemed to have lost her tail(from what i remember) :lol: I guess i'm due for an Alien anthology viewing night once again :lol:

Sorry for the mistake
Kontra Kommando

Enjay wrote:A couple of observations of things that might be slightly problematic when the sprite is in game.

The sprite is very tall and the distance between the legs is quite large. As a result, in game, the player will be facing an apparent wide open gap that looks like things can pass through but, given how Doom collision works, the "gap" will just be part of the solid cuboid actor. So rockets, plasma, whatever will apparently explode in thin air below the queen's crotch!

The sprite - particularly that wildly swinging tail - is very wide. The tail, in particular, it likely to be swinging around way outside the monster's collision box. As such, it is likely to pass through scenery etc and look bit odd. I have to say that the tail swinging that much looks wrong to me too. There aren't enough frames for that much movement so it looks very jumpy/slide-show-like.

Perhaps all of these problems could be addressed by making it so that the tail swings much less? That would eliminate the tail being too far out of the collision box (at least in the front view) and make it less of an open gap between the legs too.

I was worried about the large gap between the legs as well. I even inquried at Doomworld's editing forum for some advice: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editin ... m-monster/

This is what scifista42 recommended.
scifista42 said:
If you make her tall (set large actor height), bullets will automatically target her chest unless autoaim is disabled.

Can't really recommend much more. I definitely wouldn't even try to split her body into more targetable pieces, that brings a lot of complications and side effects and tons of additional coding and "unnatural" feel during the game.
However, I noticed that even the developers of Alien Trilogy couldn't really figure out this issue as well. Here you see the player firing between the queen's legs at nothing, yet it produces blood. I certainly would like to make my queen better though, I just hope its possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrWztnA_Stw

Moreover, I think you are correct about the tail. What is shown in the gif is not particularly what I had envisioned. I want her tail and body to move similar to a dinosaur. I think by reducing the swing of the tail should help with that.
Kontra Kommando

Here is the Xenomorph Queen, with a revised tail; I think it looks much better.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I can't wait to see that Queen in action :D Well done :)
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

It's nice, but the walking really needs to be smoothed out. The animation looks incredibly choppy. The arms and tail are, like others have said, far too flail-y and look more like horribly-secured costume peices. Xenos tend to keep their limbs at fixed positions unless they are being currently used.

For all intents and purposes, that looks somewhat like a sidestep, rather than legs being moved forward.

Looking forward to updates on this, though.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”