Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kontra Kommando

Re: Xenomorph Queen v 1.0 [Custom Monster] Released/ MAP01

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Right now I'm working on the egg chamber of the Hive. This is where the final battle will take place. Its a different pace from Starship Konrad; it plays more like an Arcade action-game. I must say, I'm enjoying the play tests thus far. You constantly must evade danger, as the Queen, and a mixed group of 12 drones, and warriors chase you down. The level is grid like, so an enemy could be around any corner. All in all, it sort of reminds me of Left 4 Dead; its similar to fighting a tank, accompanied by a horde of infected. I was thinking about release this level on its own, but perhaps I will hold back, and try to make 8 more levels in-between Starship Konrad level 1, and the Hive. Therefore, I will have a full 10 level WAD. I also want to include the Praetorian in the last level anyway; I just need to create them first.

The Praetorian will sort of be like a faster,(powerful) melee only, Baron of Hell.

Moreover, the Hive features custom textures and sprites that I created for it yesterday. However, one thing the hive is missing thus far are the eggs and the facehuggers. I plan on eventually creating my own, but for the time being I was thinking of using the ones created by Justin Fisher in the Aliens TC. Now All I have to do is figure out how to implement that into my game. I have the sprites, but I don't know where to obtain the decorate file for them (a little help, from anyone please). If not, I supposed I could try to create the decorate myself.
Last edited by Kontra Kommando on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kontra Kommando

ObsessedWithMODs wrote:
Of course I would love a MMO-FPS hybrid situation where it's a BIG Battle (imagine it like in LOTR) between a full Brigade or Battalion of Colonial Marines VS. something like 500-700 Aliens with their Queen.
That would be really cool actually. A massive level with tons of aliens, but it should also include the predator too. A Doom, Aliens Vs. Predator, with a the marine as a playable character. All fighting a massive swarm of xenomorph in an effort to eliminate the queen.
Kontra Kommando

Work on the Praetorian Xenomorph has begun. I plan on giving it 2000 HP, 40 speed, and deal 75, (Random 75*2) Damage.
ObsessedWithMODs

Re: Xenomorph Bestiarum Vocabulum / Aliens MAP01

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

I'd say go with updating new and better looking egg and facehugger sprites. They're ok for their time but I think they could be improved significantly with newer effects, maybe better sounds for the eggs too.

Maybe a more slimier and darker color look for new Egg sprites. Or, you could edit Fisher's ones first and see how they work out.

But definitely a new and better looking Facehugger. The Fisher one looks awkward the way it walks and moves compared to what we see in the movies, even the tail effects. But again it was 1993, 1994 at the time so many limitations so he did his best with what's available at the time. New effects for Face huggers is ideal, they really should be one of the creepiest and sneakiest as well as annoying SOB xenos you'd go up against unless you have a Smartgun or Flamethrower and spot them before they spot you.

Mr. Fisher's version had been used many times there are also the ones in Aliens the 2nd Nukage and then there were Barrel Sprites replacements type of Eggs used in Aliens Doom 2.0 and a few other older Aliens themed Doom mods.
Kontra Kommando wrote:
ObsessedWithMODs wrote:
Of course I would love a MMO-FPS hybrid situation where it's a BIG Battle (imagine it like in LOTR) between a full Brigade or Battalion of Colonial Marines VS. something like 500-700 Aliens with their Queen.
That would be really cool actually. A massive level with tons of aliens, but it should also include the predator too. A Doom, Aliens Vs. Predator, with a the marine as a playable character. All fighting a massive swarm of xenomorph in an effort to eliminate the queen.
I think a single Predator caught up in a really Big Battle between Human soldiers and Aliens isn't ideal or realistic. Usually when they are by themselves that would be a Trophy Hunt type of situation, although in the 2nd AvP movie changes that and have a lone veteran attempting to stop and contain an infestation, and look at how that all turned out? Not good obviously. xD LOL

It can not really be a hunt situation anymore, more of a combined effort to eliminate the Xenomorph infestation before things get out of hand.

Personally I do not like the idea of inter-species alliances since I always feel that Preds and Humans will always be rivals. But this case scenario maybe they can put aside their differences otherwise those Aliens are gonna turn both parties into nice meals or bug wombs if they don't. Something like a special unit of Predators sent to eliminate the Xenomorph threat at the moment permanently.

Or separate maps for those that do not agree with the crossover of AvP and alliances, course they can always decide to turn on each other fighting to see which team kills the Queen first, it will be a mixture of Co-Op and Team Deathmatch more or less.

Another situation I thought about is maybe something like Evil Corporate Mercenaries (Weyland Yutani Commandos, like the ones in the Colonial Marines game and the classic Alien Trilogy game) trying to secure xenomorph specimens (capturing as many eggs is an example I can think of), and trying to sabotage the effort of both Colonial Marines and the group of Elite Preds forging a temporary alliance(optional).

Mercs end goal should be something along the lines of secure xenomorphs specimens and wipe out all that interferes with their evil scheme to "weaponize" and attempting to "control" the Xenomorphs.

USCM an Preds both are fully aware of this and MUST stop them at all costs, but more importantly kill the Queen. Makes more sense that way if Preds must join forces with Humans at least they have more than just the Xenomorphs being a major threat to take on.

I suppose then you can have good human soldiers (the USCM) VS evil human soldiers (corporate mercs) VS Predators, all having different goals although fighting the same fight at the same time.

Still beats the idea used in that AvP Evolution iOS/Android game of having Evil Preds (the ones from the 3rd movie "Predators") trying to control Xenomorphs vs. "Regular" Preds situation.

So there are some ideas for different objectives. It will take quite some time and effort to get it to even work. You can also look at Killing Floor's Alien MOD for additional inspiration if you want to.

I say stick with just Colonial Marines VS Aliens first and then expand on it afterwards with Predators.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I think a single Predator caught up in a really Big Battle between Human soldiers and Aliens isn't ideal or realistic. Usually when they are by themselves that would be a Trophy Hunt type of situation, although in the 2nd AvP movie changes that and have a lone veteran attempting to stop and contain an infestation, and look at how that all turned out? Not good obviously. xD LOL
Not to be a bitch but it in AvP (the first one) the only Predator who survived tagged along with a human to get rid of the Queen. Of course he ended up dead with an alien in him but that's not the point :lol: Also in the last Predators movie the Predator that was captive and then freed by the human then started his ship engines then fought one of his own kind probably to restore his honor. In Predator 2 the Predator spared a woman's life because she was pregnant meaning that even if the Predators are hunting humans and other lifeforms they still know how to preserve to continuity of their pray - so the hunt could last longer i guess :lol:

Of course the Predators are seeing other lifeforms as potential prays but they are also capable to team up with their pray when it's needed.

As for AvP2, the Predator wasn't there to stop anything. he was there to erase all traces of the crashed ship and when he found out some facehuggers escaped the ship he armed himself for the hunt while putting the dead predator's left armlet to overload. Basically that Predator was hunting the unusual alien(Praetorian Xenomorph) he saw in the recording in the dead predator mask. He knew he had to stop that alien not for the human good but to keep their existence a secret. That's why everytime he crossed a dead alien or anything like facehugged dead humans he used that blue stuff and all traces of evidence arr dissolved.

Well that's my interpretation of the Predator movies.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Kontra Kommando wrote:Image

Work on the Praetorian Xenomorph has begun. I plan on giving it 2000 HP, 40 speed, and deal 75, (Random 75*2) Damage.
Ouch that would be a killer, a worthy pray i'd say :lol:
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Have you thought about making sprites of the dog alien / the regular alien on all fours?
Kontra Kommando

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Have you thought about making sprites of the dog alien / the regular alien on all fours?
Yea, I will definitely make that xenomorph as well. I'm planning on going into high-gear with production. So hopefully it will come to fruition sooner than later.
Kontra Kommando

New:

Here are some pics from the Hive level of the Aliens WAD I'm creating. I used Justin Fisher's facehuggers and eggs for now, but I plan on making my own eventually. I created custom textures for the hive, as well as decoration such as the stalagmites, and the Queen's egg laying sack. I plan on adding even more to this WAD in the future. Here is a preview, I hope you get to play this level, because it really is quite fun.

acidhoez

Re: Hive Level Preview /Xenomorph Bestiarum Vocabulum

Post by acidhoez »

damn...looks really impressive, great work
Kontra Kommando

acidhoez wrote:damn...looks really impressive, great work
Thanks a lot, I plan on adding even more to it as well. Moreover, I need to make a few adjustments, like making that egg sack visually pop out less.

EDIT:

Here is the revised egg sack. I think it blends in with the environment better, now.

Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Once again great work :D Looks like the perfect setup to kick the xeno Queen ass (or to get mine kicked by her :lol:)
ObsessedWithMODs

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

Kontra Kommando wrote:New:

Here are some pics from the Hive level of the Aliens WAD I'm creating. I used Justin Fisher's facehuggers and eggs for now, but I plan on making my own eventually. I created custom textures for the hive, as well as decoration such as the stalagmites, and the Queen's egg laying sack. I plan on adding even more to this WAD in the future. Here is a preview, I hope you get to play this level, because it really is quite fun.

I see that there is already a significant amount of improvement over Justin's Hive levels in his TC. And pretty much every other Aliens Hive level out there made as Doom Alien themed mods. And it is obviously because of your new queen sprites with the Egg Sac "Ovipositor". Any idea if it's possible to create a version where the Queen actually lays eggs? I've seen something like an Egg generation hack/mod in an older Aliens mod called Aliens Doom 3, maybe you can look into that mod's code or come up with something entirely new, different and better.

I don't know if your Hive is based on the film's version and whether it takes place in the Atmosphere Processor.

But some added environment effects would make it even more compelling. Like some smoke and fog effects. Kinda like this is what I meant:

What about new cocooned victim custom sprites that actually look more like the colonists did in the film?

I know Justin's idea of using some of those Doom's bloody corpses sprites on the walls meshed with a few modified Doom wall textures worked but I think it also stand out a lot and is kind of out of place.

Remember the Cocooned victims in Alien Trilogy? That blue-ish paler look worked best to blend in. That was also the way they pretty much all looked in the Hive although it was dark, and hot. The marines did not even notice them until they look up with their Shoulder Lamps illuminating the darkness in front of them, if I remembered correct.

Would be great for scary moments in this mod if a chestburster is added to it. Moments where all of a sudden a burster eats it's way out of a cocooned victim and leaps toward the player. The sound for this will play an important role for added creepiness and shock here. Kind of like the Face Hugger effect of the original AvP PC Game. I'm sure most if not everyone that ever played that game remember that shocking effect.

Now onto my comments on weapons.

Also any chance for an updated Pulse Rifle? Custom is always better, though edited is fine. I think Fisher's original looks very dated. He did his best but it's far off from the way it appeared on film. Even feels different.

I've seen the Alien trilogy's weapons sprites replacements used in Virtue's Aliens TC Special Ed mod and Deimos's Colonial Marines TC mod and even those look dated but their effects have been improved.

I think the next step is to try and see if it's possible to re-create new custom sprites that look and feel more like the way it did in the movies. Such as accurate colors, features, etc.,.. The Alien Trilogy sprites had the green Pulse Rifle and even the Flame Thrower and SmartGun looks very metallic and a little gray silverish looking color. But their Pistol and Shotguns look much better fit compared to leaving the Doom's default sprites as they are, although they did change the sound.

The original DOS based TC mods had that limitation where you can't have separate sounds for the Pistol and Pulse Rifle, but that's not a problem here anymore with ZDoom's code. Not to mention no possibility for alternate fire so Rocket Launcher became the Pulse Rifle's secondary fire. Switching in to Grenade Launcher mode is redundant now, since alternate fire coding is possible.

Maybe new Pistol sprites and or effects based on the ones used by Vasquez and Gorman?

Or new Shotgun sprites or effects based on Hick's "For Close Encounters" Shotgun?
Kontra Kommando

ObsessedWithMODs wrote:
I see that there is already a significant amount of improvement over Justin's Hive levels in his TC. And pretty much every other Aliens Hive level out there made as Doom Alien themed mods. And it is obviously because of your new queen sprites with the Egg Sac "Ovipositor". Any idea if it's possible to create a version where the Queen actually lays eggs? I've seen something like an Egg generation hack/mod in an older Aliens mod called Aliens Doom 3, maybe you can look into that mod's code or come up with something entirely new, different and better.

I don't know if your Hive is based on the film's version and whether it takes place in the Atmosphere Processor.

But some added environment effects would make it even more compelling. Like some smoke and fog effects.
Maybe the pics don't show it too well, but I did actually include the fog effect to the hive. As for the Egg laying sack, Idk how I would accomplish that. However, I was thinking about creating a Queen with the Ovipostior, but once she see you, she will get off of it and attack. I assume it would be programmed similar to the Egg with facehugger.
ObsessedWithMODs wrote:
What about new cocooned victim custom sprites that actually look more like the colonists did in the film?

I know Justin's idea of using some of those Doom's bloody corpses sprites on the walls meshed with a few modified Doom wall textures worked but I think it also stand out a lot and is kind of out of place.

Remember the Cocooned victims in Alien Trilogy? That blue-ish paler look worked best to blend in. That was also the way they pretty much all looked in the Hive although it was dark, and hot. The marines did not even notice them until they look up with their Shoulder Lamps illuminating the darkness in front of them, if I remembered correct.

Would be great for scary moments in this mod if a chestburster is added to it. Moments where all of a sudden a burster eats it's way out of a cocooned victim and leaps toward the player. The sound for this will play an important role for added creepiness and shock here. Kind of like the Face Hugger effect of the original AvP PC Game. I'm sure most if not everyone that ever played that game remember that shocking effect.
I like that idea, a blueish tin would help make it look closer to the movie. Moreover, I was thinking about creating the chest bursters as well.
ObsessedWithMODs wrote: Now onto my comments on weapons.

Also any chance for an updated Pulse Rifle? Custom is always better, though edited is fine. I think Fisher's original looks very dated. He did his best but it's far off from the way it appeared on film. Even feels different.

I've seen the Alien trilogy's weapons sprites replacements used in Virtue's Aliens TC Special Ed mod and Deimos's Colonial Marines TC mod and even those look dated but their effects have been improved.

I think the next step is to try and see if it's possible to re-create new custom sprites that look and feel more like the way it did in the movies. Such as accurate colors, features, etc.,.. The Alien Trilogy sprites had the green Pulse Rifle and even the Flame Thrower and SmartGun looks very metallic and a little gray silverish looking color. But their Pistol and Shotguns look much better fit compared to leaving the Doom's default sprites as they are, although they did change the sound.

The original DOS based TC mods had that limitation where you can't have separate sounds for the Pistol and Pulse Rifle, but that's not a problem here anymore with ZDoom's code. Not to mention no possibility for alternate fire so Rocket Launcher became the Pulse Rifle's secondary fire. Switching in to Grenade Launcher mode is redundant now, since alternate fire coding is possible.

Maybe new Pistol sprites and or effects based on the ones used by Vasquez and Gorman?

Or new Shotgun sprites or effects based on Hick's "For Close Encounters" Shotgun?
For the weapon sprites, right now I'm just using what I can find on realm 667, but I've seen better looking sprites for the pulse rifle. If anything, I will try to get it off of Alien Trilogy. I think those look the best for an aliens 2.5 D shooter.
Kontra Kommando

Flying Warrior in the works; there will be a flying drone as well. Both will have have a acid spit projectile attack, along with a lethal melee attack. The wings were taken from the Death Wyvern, from Hexen.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”