Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kontra Kommando

Re: Xenomorph Queen WIP/ Xeno Drone and Warrior/ MAP01

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Endless123 wrote:Like all animations it would surely look better in-game. Besides don't forget it's a Queen not an ordinary xeno and making an animation for a Queen is no piece of cake.

@Kontra Kommando : When you'll have finished the Queen animation i suggest you take some screenshots in-game to show to real thing or make a short video so ppl would be able to see the Queen in action because to my opinion a gif animation doesn't give you justice and will always look choppy and different compared to the in-game animation. I just bought a new pc and i should receive it by the end of the next week so if you can't do a video i think (with your permission of course) i could make one (i guess a dual core 3.16 with 4G RAM and 2G Video card should be able to handle recording better videos than my old dinosaur i'm running at the moment :lol: )
That would be excellent, if you made a video. I'm hoping to make some significant progress this weekend.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I'm not expecting my new pc before april 9th or 10th so you have plenty of time i think. Once it will be arrived i have to install a windows/linux dual-boot and all the other softwares (and games of course and Compiz Fusion on Linux - which could be fast or take a while depending on the opengl compatibility with the video card i bought) because the hard drive included with it has no OS installed. Which is a good thing because i had the choice to have Vista installed or have nothing installed and honestly i HATE Vista. It's slow, has too many useless running process and Windows 7 is a lot better anyway.

It's not that hard to install Windows anyway - where i live there is a computer shop where a technician can install windows for 50$ but why pay 50$ when i can do it myself :lol: If peoples knew how easy it is they'll never pay someone again to do it.

Anyway all this just to say you have a lot of time before i'll be ready to make videos so you can relax, enjoy some quality time with your girlfriend and get some rest. We only live once :D
Kontra Kommando

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:Ergh.

Honestly, the bobbing of the head and limbs doesn't look that great in my opinion, and the movement of the arms is far too dramatic
I appreciate the input, but I'm going to have to disagree with you about the arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7SNoYOQmY

take a look at the video from 6:36. The queen does in fact move its arms in a similar manner when running forward.

Moreover the Queen's speed will be 20 or higher, meaning that she will be moving pretty fast. You have to imagine that it will be running; if it were walking, then I could see how the arm movement would be too much.
Kontra Kommando

New:

Check out these two videos made by Endless123. It is a playthrough of my level, Starship Konrad, combined with his Predator 9.7 Beta. Download his WAD from here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45192

Moreover, below is my latest progress on the Queen Xenomorph Sprite Sheet. I’m hoping to complete the graphics phase of it by this weekend. Granted that I don’t get swamped with other things, or get lazy. Further, I have attached another pic that demonstrates the scale of the Queen.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I knew the Queen is big but i wasn't expecting her to be that big ! Would make a suitable replacement for the Cyberdemon :D

Anyway no matter which enemy she will replaces she will be a great opponent :D
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:I knew the Queen is big but i wasn't expecting her to be that big ! Would make a suitable replacement for the Cyberdemon :D

Anyway no matter which enemy she will replaces she will be a great opponent :D
I was thinking a cyberdemon replacement would be suitable too. For the spidermaster mind, I was thinking perhaps the Ultramorph would be interesting, however, very little is known about them at this point. The Ultramorph is a xenomorph gestated in a Engineer, http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Ultramorph

For the height, I wanted to make sure it was 20 feet tall. I used this wiki as a reference : http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Xenomorph_Queen

I had stacked 3 warrior xenos on top of one another, shaving off a bit of the top one. The warriors themselves are 7 feet tall.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Geez that thing is immense, from the links you provided that xeno would be 2-3 times taller than an Engineer. That poor Queen will feel tiny compare to the ultramorph :lol:

Maybe it's the ultramorph that should replace the Cyberdemon since those monsters are often the final boss of a final level or at least the boss of a level. Imagine them both the ultramorph with the Queen xeno in the same room, we gonna need a big arena :lol:

I guess the ultramorph would move differently compare to the other xeno. I red in first link than only one ultramorph completely destroyed a xeno hive and it attacks all other xenomorphs on sight. Do you intend to add this characteristic to your ultramorph?
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:Geez that thing is immense, from the links you provided that xeno would be 2-3 times taller than an Engineer. That poor Queen will feel tiny compare to the ultramorph :lol:

Maybe it's the ultramorph that should replace the Cyberdemon since those monsters are often the final boss of a final level or at least the boss of a level. Imagine them both the ultramorph with the Queen xeno in the same room, we gonna need a big arena :lol:

I guess the ultramorph would move differently compare to the other xeno. I red in first link than only one ultramorph completely destroyed a xeno hive and it attacks all other xenomorphs on sight. Do you intend to add this characteristic to your ultramorph?
I think the Ultramorph will be further explored in the upcoming movie, Paradise, which is the sequel to Prometheus. Before I decide to make it, I would like to see that movie as a reference; just to remain totally within the official movie canon.
Last edited by Kontra Kommando on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Yep i'm agreed with you.
Kontra Kommando

Re: Xenomorph Queen v 1.0 [Custom Monster] Released/ MAP01

New:

http://www.moddb.com/members/kontra-kommando/addons

The Xenomorph Queen (v 1.0) is finally complete! Download her, along with the Xenomorph Drone (v 1.3) and Warrior (v 1.1) in the same pack.

Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Good i like the Queen, she is a strong bi*** but who would want a week queen :lol:
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:Good i like the Queen, she is a strong bi*** but who would want a week queen :lol:
True lol

I'm thinking about making a quick one level WAD demonstrating the Queen. What I'm working on now, I believe, is pretty entertaining. Its a map with a grid-like layout, where the Queen starts off immediately chasing the player. Moreover, there are drones and warriors scattered around the map as well. You constantly have to be on the move,running from the queen, and looking for ammo for the pulse rifle.
ObsessedWithMODs

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

Endless123 wrote:Good i like the Queen, she is a strong bi*** but who would want a week queen :lol:
All the more reason why no one should fight a Queen all by themselves. Almost every Aliens game out there had players fighting a Queen by themselves the only time I thought it still makes somewhat sense is when the player is required to beat the Queen by using the level's environment itself such as opening an airlock and let her get sucked out into space, or activate a piston and push her into the furnace such as in Alien 3 (Gameboy and Super Nintendo versions).

A very strong Queen would work really well if the level was designed for a Co-Op battle where every player must fight together in order to complete the level together. And more so if combat was required rather than environmental triggered effects.

A situation where every single player taking cover and firing at her with everything from smartguns, pulse rifles, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, etc., while running and taking cover or trying to draw her attention and create diversions, etc., well something like that.

A teamwork combat-focused effort on surviving the Queen together, like a "Boss Survival" kind of game. Not to mention throw in a bunch of Drones and Warriors, so more players on the team will be keeping very busy throughout the whole fight sequence.

Even that 2013 Aliens Colonial Marines game had the lame triggers, you throw a couple of switches while avoiding the Queen and then that's it, the level is over, way too easy and lame. As long a the experience is ANYTHING but THAT I'm good with, it just doesn't have that excitement hyped up feeling I thought I was going to get.
Kontra Kommando wrote:I'm thinking about making a quick one level WAD demonstrating the Queen. What I'm working on now, I believe, is pretty entertaining. Its a map with a grid-like layout, where the Queen starts off immediately chasing the player. Moreover, there are drones and warriors scattered around the map as well. You constantly have to be on the move,running from the queen, and looking for ammo for the pulse rifle.
It has potential and would be even more interesting if you could apply an edit to that kind of level made specifically for multiplayer co-op mode since all the previous Alien bosses from older Aliens themed Mods and Conversions were fairly basic Doom enemy replacements.

Then you have all the more reason to make the level harder, and funner. May need optimization if 4-8 Marines vs. Queen and let's just say around 80-100 Aliens type of situation.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Then you have all the more reason to make the level harder, and funner. May need optimization if 4-8 Marines vs. Queen and let's just say around 80-100 Aliens type of situation.
Have you faced Kontra Kommando's aliens before? i asked because many maps i've played with his aliens i had troubles to stay alive and playing with my predator mod makes them look easy to kill but trust me, the regular doomguy is better have a good arsenal and lots of guts to face a small group of them. So if you want a map with a Queen and 80-100 aliens it's not a 4-8 marines you will need but a 12+ marines minimum to stay alive and many marines won't survive the run. The xeno drones and warriors are simply too fast and in large groups they will tear the players to pieces in no time. As for the Queen she can kill any marine with one hit so having to fight her with a large number of drones and warriors it would be practically impossible for a small squad. Let alone playing it alone. But i'm agree with you it could make a great co-op map setup.

BTW it's not the Queen that is the real problem, it's the drones and warriors in large number that are the real threat. The Queen alone can be beaten with a single marine with the right weapons and enough ammo and lots of patience but if she is with drones and warriors and you are alone you better run :lol:
ObsessedWithMODs

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

I only said 4-8 because commonly older FPS games had a maximum number of 4-8 Players though some source ports have upgraded them to go beyond but I'm not able to recall what the maximum ZDoom can handle as of now. I think it's probably between 16-32, although I'm hoping 64, but the more players involved the more balancing will be needed to make the expereince hard and fun, (and probably hilarious) all at the same time xD

If it was an online session with that kind of situation and setting, a big Queen sprite plus large number of enemies on screen at once may result in substantial amount of LAG, maybe unless almost everyone involved in the session had something like Fiber Optic connections of maybe xfinity. Or only small but incremental larger subsequent waves of Aliens, hmmm.. that's probably a better idea.

I forgot the maximum number of players the current ZDoom source port can handle but if it's possible and he could make it then go for something like at least a full "Platoon" of around 30-40 marines going up against the Queen and pretty much the rest of her hive of around 100 Aliens or more if strategic weapons like Prox mines or Sentry Gun units are somehow involved.

In the movie we only had roughly 2 squads, not even a full platoon going up against the Aliens.

Of course I would love a MMO-FPS hybrid situation where it's a BIG Battle (imagine it like in LOTR) between a full Brigade or Battalion of Colonial Marines VS. something like 500-700 Aliens with their Queen.

But I doubt that is possible on something like a Mod project for an older game using a Source Port. Geez, might as well allow the flying of Dropships and deployments of APCs if that was possible to accomplish, why stop at just Marines and Aliens, bring on the Heavy Artillery too! LOL

But it would be way too messy and chaotic to know what's going on for something like that.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”