Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: ALIENS: The Ultimate Doom [BETA 9.0 is Ready]

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, in the end it's just my personal preference for a minimalist HUD. I usually play Doom with the smaller fullscreen HUD; my only caveat on that is visor based ones like the Doom Visor, since a helmeted view is always awesome.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, in the end it's just my personal preference for a minimalist HUD. I usually play Doom with the smaller fullscreen HUD; my only caveat on that is visor based ones like the Doom Visor, since a helmeted view is always awesome.
Agree.

What do you think of that one?

i only modified the bottom left corner since it seems to be the one that could be problematic at low res. I can't change the motion tracker position because it will be too obstructive with the default HUD (the one with the default status bar) and the only place i see i don't hide too much stuff is the upper left corner. Also keeping the health and armor display at the bottom left won't confuse some players since it's in the same area as it is on the default fullscreen HUD. For now it's on stanby because i'm not planning to use this HUD on my mod so if KK wants it i can finish it to fit his needs.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Much cleaner, I think that would help a lot with the gameplay since you're trying to find aliens in the dark now.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Hey guys, just want to let you know, I've been reading the feed back, and suggestions, and I'm taking a lot of it into consideration for beta 9.1. I will release that to replace 9.0 on Moddb, once its ready. Could be a few days from now, depending on how ambitious I make it.

-I'm considering the hud change; I think the minimalist approach could be cool.

-I am considering reduction of Droids, and Marines spawning

-I want to create my own score for the game, with the help of my friend that is a audio engineer.

-I am considering lowering the rate of enemy/ally spawning overall; across all difficulties.

-Furthermore, I want to change the idea of "difficulties" in this game. As I said in some other threads; all the levels of difficulty are technically the same. What really is changing is the rate of spawning. Because the feuding-enemy/ally ratio is all the same; as well as portion of ammo. I feel to say that they are "difficulties" are actually false, in regards to this mod. I want to drive the point clear that they are not, by changing how they are labeled when setting up the game in the beginning. rather, instead of difficulty level; it will be considered "map-population rate" or something similar to that term. Moreover, I feel by giving them this designation, it will help players understand how to gauge their game-play experience according to the power of their PC. Those with less powerful pcs, will still get the same gameplay experience in terms of difficulty, even if they have to choose the lowest spawning rate to accommodate their graphical/processing power. This isn't going to be me just simply replacing the names of the difficulties; rather is better represents how this mod works, by showing they are nothing more than rates of spawning. The difficulty is all the same, relative to the size of the monster populations.

Edit:

This is what I plan on changing the difficulty levels with:

CHOOSE RATE OF NPC & DECORATIVE SPAWNING

-LOW
-MEDIUM
-HIGH
-HIGHER
-INFINITE
Last edited by Kontra Kommando on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

About the HUD, is there anything you want me to change (refering to the picture a few post back) or you'd like something else to be modified?

PM me your needs for the HUD and i'll send you the file with the modifications once it's done.

Keep it up and as always ...
Spoiler:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Can you set the difficulties up to be more complex? Like an Alien mode and an Aliens mode? So in Alien they'd hit a lot harder, ammo/weapons/armor would be more scarce, less ally spawns, and less enemies. But in Aliens it'd be more of a big war between sythns, marines, aliens, and predators.

I think I saw the Space Pirate mod do something similar where it had your regular 3-4 difficulties, but had a survival horror mode where everything was scarce and the enemy types were more zombie/melee.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I just got done testing the BETA you put out and here is my report:

The atmosphere is pretty cool, it definitely has a scare factor to it (save for the music.) The footsteps on the Xenomorphs was interesting as well, but as usual, there are some things I want to address.

1. Ammo is a major problem in the standard map sets of Doom. I often had to avoid fighting enemies as much as possible to get through the level, which really sets off my OCD for playing this game. I would bump up the chance ammo will appear in the clutter somewhat, but before you do, you might want to read the next problem.

2. Enemies were multiplying at the start of each level, was this intentional? When I did the first level, there seemed to be a little more than usual, but when I got to Map 2, there was almost 200 Xenomorphs on the map. Map 16 just needed to be nuked from orbit, there was so many enemies it lagged my PC.

3. The footstep sounds were nice, but they are way too loud. In fact they were so loud that if there was more than like 6 enemies, it would deafen your gun sounds, that isn't right. Xenomorphs do not make that much noise unless they are massive strain types like Praetorian or Predalien. I would recommend altering the footstep sounds to a different volume output based on the size of the Xenomorph, or give the smaller ones new ones that are much quieter.

That's pretty much it, I will test this out again once you fix these problems. Right now the MOD is borderline unplayable due to the enemies and ammo issue. :-/
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

HUh, is that what it was? I saw stacks of synths, like 5-8 at a time and I wasn't sure if it was just a monster closet switching over to them or a multiplier. Sometimes I'd see the same for the xenos as well, where tons would just pour out of a small room.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

I really like the update, its really increased the athmosphere. One quick question though, can i use your random junk objects sprites in some projects im working on?
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

On the difficulty settings thing, increasing spawn rates can be a bit of a roulette depending on maps and architecture. As an alternative, how about making something like adding some exclusive attacks or behaviors only in higher levels? That way the numbers won't get too out of hand and there would be something distinct that actually raises difficulty, instead of just scaling numbers. Just a suggestion for brainstorming purposes, of course.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

So ive been noticing a few issues
~synths have a bad tendancy to spawn in weird places, and a whole bunch of them at once compounds it( my favorite moment is when there where 4 of them on top of the crate that normally has a shotgun in e2m2.
~somehow the marines like to disseapear when a flare is thrown at them while they are still going through the alert lines
~Had a queen xeno spawn in the armor room of e1m1
~I was killed several times by synths that are alerted too fast for me to react at the start of a map
~marines forget when im in front of them and tend to gun me down(not sure if feature or bug)

Im really enjoying this so far, its a load of fun even with the probelms i said above, i might make a map that uses this pretty soon.
Kontra Kommando

Here's a progress report:

I have re-organized the way the enemies spawn to create a more suspenseful gameplay experience. Now the Xenomorphs will spawn primarily; with a small chance of it being the other enemy-types. There is an even lesser chance of it being Marine allies. Nevertheless, theres' still a small chance of the battle-spawner producing a horde of 10, particularly with the imp-replacement spawners. Ergo, maps like e2m2, will be more chaotic, due to the fact that all of the vanilla-enemies there are imps. Battle-spawners also have a chance of occurring on higher level enemies, such as Hell Knights. However, they still spawn at a lesser chance than the current build. Also, I have included wandering versions of each of the xenomorphs.

In addition to the new layout of the enemies, I have also totally re-balanced the item, ammo, and heath drops. Now, to fit a more survival-horror style gameplay; these provisions will be more elusive. Dead bodies of your comrades will spawn randomly throughout the map. Theses dead bodies are sources of ammo, as each of drop various types of ammo. Everything will be randomized, and placed in different areas, at the start of the map.

Right now, I'm currently working on making each of the decorative objects have "physics". The player, or enemy, will be able to walk into objects, and knock them over. It looks pretty awesome when a horde of xenos are charging towards you, as they knock random objects out of their path. It helps to create even more chaos, and it makes the monster look even more relentless in their pursuit to kill. Most importantly, it helps to eliminate the issue of actors getting stuck in these objects; during spawning.

I hope I can release an Beta 9.1 sometime tonight, or possibly tomorrow.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Sounds good. I think one of the better aspects of this mod is actually when nothing spawns at all and it feels tense, because you keep expecting something to jump you.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Good idea about the phisics stuff - i don't even dare to think how much time it took you to make it works considering the fair amount of decorative objects on a map. Unfortunately i won't be able to play it till later this week because of PC reasons :P

However rest assured i will download it and play it as soon as i get my PC back in one piece :D
Kontra Kommando

Here is a demonstration video of "physics" I have made for the clutter objects. Now, players, and the enemies will never be stuck in awkward spots due to where they spawn. Now, they simply "knock" the objects out of their path.

Also, special thanks to scifista42, and gez for their suggestions, in helping with the crashing bug.:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editi ... ts-solved/
Last edited by Kontra Kommando on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”