Aliens: The Ultimate Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Devianteist

Re: ALIENS:The Ultimate Doom / NECA Sprite Project

Post by Devianteist »

Kontra Kommando wrote:The videos don't exactly give an accurate depiction to the animation, actually. As I said earlier, there is a slight delay. Once I finish up creating some basic gib sprite for it, I can provide a demo pk3.

However, I will most likely add more frames later on. Even slight rotations with the free transform option, can make the frame look a lot smoother. Also, I think if I lean if forward some, on the 3 7 frames, if would make a big difference. Maybe the posture is to upright in those.
I suggest looking at the various games and/or movies that have featured Xenomorphs walking/running on two legs. They usally have their arms bent at a 90~ish degree angle with their hands in a read-to-grab position, and they slightly lean forward.

You've got the essence, now capture the spirit!
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

i just wanted to say this. The neca sprites really look good. Some of the best sprites ive ever seen perhaps. But they dont really fit in with doom as much as the old ones did.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

demo_the_man wrote:i just wanted to say this. The neca sprites really look good. Some of the best sprites ive ever seen perhaps. But they dont really fit in with doom as much as the old ones did.
It's just because not all textures are hi-res in the mod. Personally i don't think it matters much because it's still looking great.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

I will eventually change the textures to high res textures imported from another more recent aliens game. As long as I edit them to follow the basic fundamental pattern of the original sprites, it will work.

But I first want to create all of the monsters before I endeavor to do that.

Sounds like a ton of work, but honestly I don't mind. Even if it takes a couple years to develop this; its great practice for me learning more about Photoshop. I've been learning in leaps and bounds; now I could do what I was able to do in other programs like gimp2, but even more now with the photoshop interface. It really makes creating these graphics a lot easier.

For example, I'm now creating double the amount of frames for the xenomorph, to have it move smoother. I've been manipulating the limbs, by rotating them, and it looks as if I actually took the picture like that. Going from working with doom-style sprites with paint and gimp2, to working with super-high resolution HDR sprites in Photoshop, has shockingly been an easy transition.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

A lot of hard work ahead for you it seems :P

I admire you my friend, doing all this extra hard work on top of your regular activities and obligations, all that without even getting paid for your hard work. But you know, don't forget to sleep once in a while ;)
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:A lot of hard work ahead for you it seems :P

I admire you my friend, doing all this extra hard work on top of your regular activities and obligations, all that without even getting paid for your hard work. But you know, don't forget to sleep once in a while ;)
Thanks dude! My satisfaction ultimately will be to create the one of the greatest Aliens games of all time; that's my goal. Along with you, jd, and all of the other contributors, we can facilitate that to be a reality.
Kontra Kommando

The Predator came in the mail a lot sooner than I expected. As soon as I'm finished doubling the frames for the Xenomorph, I will begin work on this.

This is the 25th anniversary edition Predator; the one from the first film. The Xenomorph I used is the 35 anniversary edition, from the first alien movie.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

What about having the high def sprites run at you on all 4's ? Is that a difference alien "breed" altogether?
Kontra Kommando

Skrell wrote:What about having the high def sprites run at you on all 4's ? Is that a difference alien "breed" altogether?
Yep, I will also create those as well; it will be interchangeable according the frame jumping to a different state based on the distance from the player target. Moreover, the Runner Xenomorph will be totally quadruped

http://www.clarktoys.com/dogalalnefis.h ... Hwodd0YAaA
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

You can always make them change the stances by their own "will" (actually, by A_Jump probabilities) rather than checking distance. This is how i done in Endless123 AvP.
Kontra Kommando

jdredalert wrote:You can always make them change the stances by their own "will" (actually, by A_Jump probabilities) rather than checking distance. This is how i done in Endless123 AvP.
I think it is actually by probability as well, as well as according to distance; if I recall correct. I had used the Predator's behavior as a basis for improving upon the xenomorph. Though I'm not 100% certain; I can't look at the code right now because I'm at my work desk. At any rate; its a good tip dude :)
Kontra Kommando

jdredalert wrote:You can always make them change the stances by their own "will" (actually, by A_Jump probabilities) rather than checking distance. This is how i done in Endless123 AvP.
One thing I really would like to resolve is having the enemies attack one another on sight before the player sees them; having battles unfold at the very beginning.

I was thinking, perhaps a way to resolve this in regards to the alien and the predator would go as following:

1. Have the predator spawn in cloaked form, as well NOTARGET.

2. Give the predator the Ambush flag, and change flags and NOTARGET be false.

Therefore, when the predator sees the player, it will be triggered to attack; but the pain inflicted on it by the Alientarget damage will make it attack the xenos first.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Sounds good, however i don't dare to ask how much those NECA cost you :P
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:Sounds good, however i don't dare to ask how much those NECA cost you :P
I managed to get the predator for only $45 plus free shipping and handling. They usually go for close to $80; but because the only box was not in mint condition, it was cheaper. Also, its getting close to my birthday, so I figured I'd splurge some money on something like this.

The Xenomorph, I purchased around Christmas time. It was roughly around $45 I remember.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

It's cheaper than i thought :P

Stuff that detailed usually cost a lot more and even more if they are collector's edition. It's a good thing for you that you had good deals for those :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”