AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition WIP Is Out For Testing !!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Aliens vs Predator 1.4

Post by jdredalert »

That's kinda too punitive, to disable the Predator cloaking forever (until you pick up another one, that is). It's even more punitive if you consider that you can't predict very well the range of the EMP blast, which can turn things frustrating very quick. However, you can always make it less punitive and add some other less destructible side effects to it - which gives you the liberty to even increase the EMP trap frequency. Things like zeroing energy tanks, disable cloaking for a limited time, disable view modes, heavy static on screen or even make the Predator numb and paralyzed for a few seconds like in AvP 2 are a few suggestions of possible debuffs.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:That's kinda too punitive, to disable the Predator cloaking forever (until you pick up another one, that is). It's even more punitive if you consider that you can't predict very well the range of the EMP blast, which can turn things frustrating very quick. However, you can always make it less punitive and add some other less destructible side effects to it - which gives you the liberty to even increase the EMP trap frequency. Things like zeroing energy tanks, disable cloaking for a limited time, disable view modes, heavy static on screen or even make the Predator numb and paralyzed for a few seconds like in AvP 2 are a few suggestions of possible debuffs.
Considering the Predator class is the most overpowered of the 3 classes i don't think it matters much because with all monsters having the alertmonsters on each of their xdeath states and some also have it in their "see" state so for the Predator it's just a matter of time before he has to uncloak to keep the maximum protection of his shield. Furthermore since a stealth generator spawns at each place a rocket launcher spawns i don't think it will make that big of a difference. And with a 20/255 chance for the droid to explode the only way for the player to be affected by the EMP is if he stands way too close to the droid. There is also the visual warning that makes the player aware of a droid about to explode.

You can see in the video that even if the radius is randomized it's not overly big. In fact it's alot smaller than the predator's revenge explosion. The max radius of the EMP is 400 and the max radius of the predator's revenge is 1500 so you see nothing to worry about if the player isn't standing still next to a droid about to explode. For now i don't see any major problem with the EMP so far and besides once the Predator picked up the Plasma Caster he can show those xenos whos the boss :lol: Not to mention all predator's attacks are boosted with each red sphere collected which make it the most powerfull of the 3 classes. Don't worry even me can handle the predator class without his stealth generator once i have the plasma caster so it shouldn't be a problem.

Note that my first idea for the EMP was to disable the motion tracker for the rest of the wad. Needless to say i quickly second guessed myself and i decided to restore its function at the start of the next map. Could i do that with the stealth generator? Of course i could but i will not do it because unlike the motion tracker the stealth generator can be found on any maps apwning a rocket launcher which is not the case for the motion tracker. I think it's fair for both classes to have the EMP act differently on their equipment.

Then why not creating a replacement for the motion tracker that can be picked up on the map? Yes i could, in fact that is something i'm considering.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Small update.

4 versions of this mod would be released.

1 - The main mod AvP 1.4 - will be released first
2 - ZDoom compatible AvP 1.4 - will be released soon after the main mod
3 - Classic(no reload) AvP 1.4 - Will be released soon after the main mod
4 - PSX AvP 1.4 - will be released as soon as the merge will be done with the complete AvP 1.4 release and the delay depends on the amount of bugs that will need to be fixed

I'm working on all of them simultanously to reduce the delays between releases. I will post a video of the PSX AvP progress later today.

That's all for now.

EDIT : As i promised, the video :D

Not much but i wanted to show the progess on this one.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Long time no use ZDoom , What improvements ZDoom version :?:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Doctrine Dark wrote:Long time no use ZDoom , What improvements ZDoom version :?:
Basically the ZDoom version of this mod is the same as the GZDoom version without the opengl eye-candies and weapons FX but the experience would be relatively the same. Some other effects like aien blood spaying all over the place would surely be reduced, not removed like i did for the 1.3r1 build of the ZDoom compatible build. All the weapons, ememies and items would be the same in both the ZDoom and the GZDoom versions.

In case you haven't red all the previous posts about the changes in the 1.4 build let me list them bellow, yep yet another list :P

For the Marine class:

1 - New HUD
2 - New Weapon(Sniper Rifle)
3 - New sprites for almost all weapons
4 - New animations
5 - Removal of the claymore mines
6 - New crosshair for the Smartgun while on auto mode
7 - Max armor reduced to 200
8 - Max ammo reduced for most weapons
9 - Reduced all weapons basic damages

For the Predator class :

1 - New HUD
2 - Combi-Stick animation reworked
3 - New Plasma Blaster projectiles
4 - Removal of the Energy-replenishing items
5 - Re-introduction of the Accumulator(the thing that replanish Energy)
6 - Energy consumes while using the Plasma Caster is no longer dependant of the number of the Boosters collected. (In 1.3 the more Boosters the less energy the Plasma Caster uses) Noe only the damage of the Plasma Caster is affected by the number of Boosters.
7 - Minor changes to the "Hack" function - now the time the keys remain in the Predator inventory is linked to the number of boosters, the more you collected the more time the keys will stay in the inventory.
8 - The Energy regenerates itself a lot more slowly than in 1.3 but the way it works is the same as in 1.3 but only slower.

For the Praerorian class:

1 - The color of the in-game sprites have been changed to reflect the K-Series Praetorian
2 - The acid ball is less effective(in 1.3 it was basically like a BFG ball but now the damage radius is more reasonable and the damage it does is not exessive)

For the mod itself :

1 - New enemies
2 - New "Cheats" section in misc option menu
3 - The "dancing xeno" bug has been fixed(the one when a xeno was walking on acid on the floor and was pain-locked or forcefully pushed in the air like a jumping alien)
4 - The acid on the floor, well the effect, has been reworked a bit and the result is the #3 of the list - the "dancing xeno" bug is fixed :D
5 - The Drone, Dragoon, Super Dragoon, Super Runner and the Xeno Queen spit acid balls doing dual damage - normal damage (on impact with the player) and acid damage(while on the floor). That means even with the radsuit the acid ball will still hurt on impact even if the acid on the floor will not.
6 - Since there is new enemies the random rooster needed to be reworked a bit
7 - The Super Runner is now a full boss, it's faster, has 2 different acid ball attacks and use them a lot more often than before.
8 - All the xenos have variable speed depending on there current state and actions.
9 - Each weapons has its own damage type - this is for a better ballance tuning
10 - The removal of the "Live ally" spawning randomly. They have been replaced by an Ally Beacon that can be used when the player needs it. - even if it's working great i'm planning to add a sound when the player is using it and maybe a "teleportation" effect to make the Ally appears.
11 - Each class has its excusive ally. The Marine class can only call Smartgunner, the Predator class can only call Predator ally and of course the Praetorian class can only call another Praetorian.

That's about all the changes that have been implemented so far in 1.4 and there is more to come. Also note that all sprite-related jobs are jdredalert's work. I only worked the recoloration of the Praetorian player sprites and a bit on the new shotgunner. All other sprites are jd's work.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Like that , I will test this version on ZDoom. Thank you for keeping me informed about version 1.4 :thumb: i lost posts.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Doctrine Dark wrote:Like that , I will test this version on ZDoom. Thank you for keeping me informed about version 1.4 :thumb: i lost posts.
Don't worry about it :) It's normal because i had announced in the past that 1.3 was the last build and i haven't intended to work on it anymore but jdredalert convinced me to give another shot at it and offered me his help. That's how this mod got somehow been resurected.

I still don't know when 1.4 will be released but i guess it will be before the next Super Bowl :lol:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Small little tiny minus minimalized update :P

I just replaced the pickup sprite of the spears for the speargun

Solo

Pack of 3

It's more predator-ish than the hand-made sprites i made that looks more like a broken arrow :lol:

Note that this is only the pickup sprites and not the actual projectile sprites.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Just a little video to show you what i'm working on lately

So lets ger sparky :D
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

I just test the 1.3 version in ZDoom , it is absolutely fantastic.

Blood works on the floor, The Enhanced Vision (Predator & Marine) Illuminates the area, what's cool because in ZDoom Software mode is very dark, I can illuminate the Map without the need for glasses :D

Remember that the version GZDoom none of these details worked right, I can play now without problem.

My questions are:

1 - I chose the Marine Class and suddenly had a Predator by my side helping to kill enemies , it is normal ? I thought that each class could only have a helper in the same class.

2 - You still have that patch to change the Hud Predator ?
The current is pretty but ZDoom resolutions do not help much, that old Hud had a fewer things on the screen, it is still compatible with this version ?

3 - The second HUD Xeno has strange red things on the screen, they serve to indicate what ?

Thank you for supporting the ZDoom, now I can play it on my other PC (Notebook potato). :) :thumb:

I stopped playing Alien Isolation because of its Mod, is a lot of fun. :mrgreen:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Doctrine Dark wrote:I just test the 1.3 version in ZDoom , it is absolutely fantastic.

Blood works on the floor, The Enhanced Vision (Predator & Marine) Illuminates the area, what's cool because in ZDoom Software mode is very dark, I can illuminate the Map without the need for glasses :D

Remember that the version GZDoom none of these details worked right, I can play now without problem.

My questions are:

1 - I chose the Marine Class and suddenly had a Predator by my side helping to kill enemies , it is normal ? I thought that each class could only have a helper in the same class.

2 - You still have that patch to change the Hud Predator ?
The current is pretty but ZDoom resolutions do not help much, that old Hud had a fewer things on the screen, it is still compatible with this version ?

3 - The second HUD Xeno has strange red things on the screen, they serve to indicate what ?

Thank you for supporting the ZDoom, now I can play it on my other PC (Notebook potato). :) :thumb:

I stopped playing Alien Isolation because of its Mod, is a lot of fun. :mrgreen:
Let me shed some lights on the points you are bringing

1 - That's normal because in 1.3 the ally helping the player could be any of the following : Invulnerability sphere, a green Predator or a green Praetorian and that was a random spawn so any of those 3 could spawn for any of the 3 classes. In 1.4 it's different. All classes now have their own exclusive ally like i mentioned a few posts back.

2 - No the patch doesn't work because too many stuff has changed but the elements on the Predator and Marine HUDs can be turned off by configuring the corresponding keys. The elements are the weapons array, the info array and for the predator class the flashing green sign that turns red while the enemy is aware of the player's presence can also be turned off via a configurable key. I can assure you that in 1.4 with all the elements that can be turned off the HUDs can be a lot cleaner and simple.

3 - That's also a normal thing. It's the same as the Predator enemy-alerted sign but for the xeno class. This can't be turned off you can get rid of it simply by using one of the other HUD because only one HUD had that feature for the xeno class. This feature will be removed in the 1.4 build

Glad to see you can enjoy and play this mod on your notebook :)

Thanks for the comments :)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Update on explosion animations progress on the droids and predators.

So what do you think guys of those animations?

Also i was wandering if it could be a good idea to make a random spawn for the allies. Let me explain what i have in mind. You already know about each class has its own specific ally but would it be a good idea if i setup the following:

For the Marine Class : Random spawn with Shutgunner, Lady Smartgunner, Rifle Droid, Flamethrower Droid and the Smartgunner syth.

For the Predator Class : Random spawn with the Hunter Predator(not yet added but will be added), Predator Ally and a Heavy Predator(basically the ally version of the Predator Boss(the black predator)

For the Praetorian K-Series : Random spawn with The Warrior, The Dragoon(an upgraded version of the current xeno Dragoon), a Praetorian and a Super Runner(lesser version of the Super Runner boss)

So would it be a good idea?
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

I liked :D :thumb:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Maybe the Praetorian could summon a swarm of aliens like warriors and drones. In AvP 2, the Praetorian had a hiss to call other small xenos to help. This can be justified to the fact that the Praetorian belongs to a higher caste. Also, in order to avoid it being too overpowered - and since we're working on the concept of the K-Series - the drones/warriors summoned could be weaker than regular xenos in terms of overall health points. Strength in numbers. (It's also good to make this call to be inherent of the Praetorian instead of some random item pickup, however make it limited somehow. Something like only a few calls are allowed per level, so the player should use it wisely).
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

The "Ally Beacon" is already limited to 5 max for a maximum of 5 allies on the same map and since they don't follow the player to the next map the player already has to use them wisely like against bosses or massive group of enemies. It's also a good tactic to use one or two beacons in places you suspect an ambush because on many maps with ambushes the player tend to be cornered and get surrounded quickly by the xenos and that never ends well so having a couple of ally that can cover your back in sush situations make a good difference.

I'm also planning to add a small delay between the moment the beacon is used and the moment the ally appears. That way the moment the ally is called would be a lot more crutial tactically speaking.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”