AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition WIP Is Out For Testing !!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: Aliens vs Predator Mod dev resumed !

Post by Endless123 »

First of all thanks for the comment and the permission to use your work :)

I still haven't decided if i'll add the predators as allies or enemies.

About the synths, don't add too many different death states like the Aliens have because it's hell to adapt them :lol: Just kidding ;)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Friendly predators would be a pretty cool addition; there's a lot of potential there to make some really unique and useful allies given all the abilities they can have. Maybe make them tough but fairly rare since I don't think you ever see more than what, 4 together in the field?
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

-Ghost- wrote:Friendly predators would be a pretty cool addition; there's a lot of potential there to make some really unique and useful allies given all the abilities they can have. Maybe make them tough but fairly rare since I don't think you ever see more than what, 4 together in the field?
Yeah but to have, lets say one ally predator once in a while, i'm afraid it will clean up the place before the player reaches the end of the level braking the balance. However that's an option i'm seriously considering.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I guess it depends what you're baseline is; do you base most of your difficulty off the Doom 2 maps? They're pretty powerful in the Aliens mod but I do see them get taken down with sheer numbers most of the time.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

-Ghost- wrote:I guess it depends what you're baseline is; do you base most of your difficulty off the Doom 2 maps? They're pretty powerful in the Aliens mod but I do see them get taken down with sheer numbers most of the time.
Mostly based on Doom 2(i test my mod on Doom 2 wads) but if you are talking about the settings in mapinfo i use the following settings

- Youngblood Predator (Easy) - normal monster hp
- Hunter Predator (Normal) - monster's hp x2
- Elite Predator (UV) - monster's hp x3
- Master Predator - monster's hp x3, cheat disabled and fast monsters.

I intend to keep those settings as they are now to keep it challenging enough to avoid being too easy. When i'll be done adjusting the damages the weapons are doing i think this will be challenging enough.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Yet another update with a dev demo for you to play :D

The changes are a bit obvious since besides the HUD modifications and a few stuff like re-implementation of the radsuit only the aliens have been added to replace the old ones. for now only the aliens have been added and they spawn with the same system as in Kontra's Aliens UDTC mod but don't worry more enemies are to come.

Note that the radsuit is providing an extra armor protection along with it's normal hazards protection.

Also the shield has 2 purposes

1 - Provides a physical damage protection
2 - Serves as a timer while the cloak is in use - meaning as long as the shield is over 0 the cloak will remain active while walking on liquids

Ho and i added a little extra secret "trick" in the gameplay and if the player manages to figure it out it makes the game a bit more survivable ;)

Here is the link : Aliens vs Predator(dev Demo)

Comments and feedbacks are welcomed :D
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That's a good idea to give a little margin of error with the liquids. Some maps are really heavy on them and while the jumping lets you avoid some of it, sometimes you just get put in a bad spot. The new aliens work pretty well, facehuggers felt oddly durable though, that or I was missing a lot with the claws.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I can provide a working playable Alien class if you want, with the "Hellspawn Hunters" seal of quality. Actually, i'm having some ideas about merging/borrowing resources from Hellspawn Hunters into this one (like a selection of your favorite weapons from my Predators classes into one single AvP custom Predator class). This would require some work, but nothing fancy. What you say?
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Well that's a good idea so here is my own list of my favorite weapons from your Predators mod ;)

1 - The claws - already added thanks to you :D
2 - The spear - which is more elegant and more practical than my combistick
3 - The kuni - those small throwing knives are extremely fun to throw :D
4 - The assault railgun - which would be even more fun if a scope view is added ;)
5 - The speargun animations - which are a lot better than mine :P

Now the question is if i add all those weapons i fear the player might feels like a "deja vu" and sees it as a simple copycat of your mod with only the HUD and the Aliens in bonus or worse the player might think "since it's the same weapons why play Hellspawns instead of this mod" and i don't want that to happen because your mod is really fun to play with lots of original stuff.

So as you can see i have a dilemma and i'm not good with those :lol:

I think i'll concentrate my efforts on correctly implementing Kontra's Aliens and then the scynths will probably be implemented as well. Of course since it's a WIP with added stuff from other WIP projects things will surely change.

@-Ghost- : I added a little extra range for the claws to reflect the long blades reach. As for the Facehugger being tough to kill, i haven't played with the HP of any of the new Aliens yet so it's normal i think. After every enemies will be implemented I'll have a better idea if i have to change the difficulty settings or the Aliens HP. That's why i need help to test my mod because i'm not really a good Doom player(just watch the videos and you'll see what i mean :lol: ) and i need good players to play my mod and tell me if it's challenging or just a piece of cake.

Ho and thanks for the comments :)
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

You guys should strive to also make this zandronium compatible. I'm sure there will be a big demand for it as a multiplayer mod as well.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

And how can i make it compatible with zandronium?

As for multiplayers stuff i don't think it's a good idea since my predator can break the balance of any maps just with the mega-jump
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Small update

The Praetorian have been added along with the random laugh when an enemy is gibbed. Also small adjustments to the plasma caster energy consuming

The download link is the same but the file is updated so here it is : AvPdevDemo
Kontra Kommando

Endless123 wrote:And how can i make it compatible with zandronium?

As for multiplayers stuff i don't think it's a good idea since my predator can break the balance of any maps just with the mega-jump
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5411

I'm actually trying to figure that out myself. :lol:

I remember in AVP (2010) the predator had all that stuff, but it was still pretty fun when a bunch of marines would have to take on a single powerhouse. Just a suggestion though.
Kontra Kommando

Also, fantastic work on the demo! I can't wait to see this mod in the future. But in the meantime, I will try to make a playthrough video of the demo and post a link to your mod.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well, the frames might be the same but those weapons could work in a total different manner. I don't know yet, since i'm on "vacation" from the DEORATE :P And i got a sad surprise today, my desktop pc is down... it might take some time to fix it because it just refuses to turn on again, i don't know what is happening. But i might figure something out.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”