AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition WIP Is Out For Testing !!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ObsessedWithMODs

Re: (WIP) Predator Beta 8(Poll Open)

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

Oh ok I see. I did read about that new Alien themed mod haven't got around to test it yet since my other better computer is dead atm. Will get a new one sometime soon or test it on my friend's computer if he lets me. I liked Kontra's new Aliens sprites it's another huge huge improvement compared to the early 90's vanilla doom Alien themed patches.

I was wondering if someone will work on modding doom to allow us to play as an Alien. I mean after all those previous Alien themed patches released had always been about the player using a Marine mowing down Aliens with big big guns and explosives.

So I really would love to see how someone would implement Alien gameplay mechanics using the ZDoom ports.

I even asked about wall walking a while back on the other 2 Alien Mod threads here (Deimos Anomaly's and Virtue's) but they said it doesn't seem to be possible to implement in ZDoom ports.

So who knows? Maybe it might be possible or impossible. f not then I think if somehow a "Doom Marine is now a Playable Alien Mod" could end up very ground based gameplay kind of like Praetorian class in AvP2 or very similar to the way when the "Alien" was implemented in First Person mode back in that 1994 Atari Jaguar AvP game but significantly much much more expanded beyond just Claws, Extending Inner Jaws and their Tail someone could add Acid Spit attacks, Crouching, Jumping, Pouncing, as well as Grabbing and maybe even the possibility of Cocooning enemies as 5 of the above I just mentioned were typically added in later Alien games.

No wall scaling would just make it real rather incomplete but if that's the limitation of the engine then someone would just have to push it as much as possible and be as creative as possible.

Another thing, different classes of Aliens such as the Alien Life Cycle would also be sick. Play as a Face Hugger, or a Chest Burster, a Queen, or maybe even Praeorians and Predaliens, further adding an abundance and variety of gameplay mechanics if you know what I mean?

Maybe you and Kontra could help each other out and work on these projects together somehow. He seems to have advantage and experience with the graphics and sprites designs. Or even Deimos, he's pretty good with mapping. Would be awesome if everyone that worked on these new Alien, Predator and Terminator themed mods at some point gave each other pointers and helped each other out.

I like how Kontra's mod is more based on the first Alien film thus adding new gameplay variety since the whole Colonial Marines mowing down Alien after Alien with big big guns and explosives gets really repetitive and it has been that way for pretty much all Aliens theme mods that was ever released.
Endless123

Re: (WIP) Predator Beta 8(Poll Open)

Post by Endless123 »

Another thing, different classes of Aliens such as the Alien Life Cycle would also be sick. Play as a Face Hugger, or a Chest Burster, a Queen, or maybe even Praeorians and Predaliens, further adding an abundance and variety of gameplay mechanics if you know what I mean?
Too much stuff always mean long delays between releases and for now i will stick with perfecting the weapons stuff and sprites and then will come the enemies and then the predator's classes. Speaking of predator classes i make 3 classes(light pred, hunter pred and heavy pred for example) with each a different arsenal which one do you think the players would choose? Probably the one with the highest probability to kick the final boss's ass and that would mean there would be 2 classes no one will use.

Same goes with the aliens, if i offer to start as a facehugger, chest buster or a fully grown alien something tells me the 2 first won't be used often :P That's because no one likes to be killed more often than necessary.

In other words if i try to make it too complicated right now it might end up becoming a garbage mod. I don't want to rush things like i did with my very first mod. It wasn't that bad but i released it without polishing it and without much testing. I don't want to make that mistake again.
Endless123

Re: (WIP) Predator Beta 9(Poll Open)

Post by Endless123 »

Beta 9 is out !

See first post for the list of changes and download link :)
Endless123

Re: (WIP) Predator Beta 9.1(Poll Open)

Post by Endless123 »

Beta 9.1 is out :D

many changes and fixes, see first post for details and the download link :)
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

I am anxious to get home and download this new update. :)

(Edit) Your Mod this fantastic, every update is more fun and its Predator fit perfectly with how Doom style.

Were two questions:

1 - When I give the Zoom with the Spear Gun ice the view automatically switches to self-powerlightamp and then disappears in seconds. Is it normal? Only happens with this weapon, the other not.

2 - My Plasma Blaster disappears when I get the Power-Up Damage 10x but still throwing normal.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Doctrine Dark wrote:I am anxious to get home and download this new update. :)

(Edit) Your Mod this fantastic, every update is more fun and its Predator fit perfectly with how Doom style.

Were two questions:

1 - When I give the Zoom with the Spear Gun ice the view automatically switches to self-powerlightamp and then disappears in seconds. Is it normal? Only happens with this weapon, the other not.

2 - My Plasma Blaster disappears when I get the Power-Up Damage 10x but still throwing normal.
Thanks for the bug report, now it's fixed along some other things in the Beta 9.1F in the first post.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Some things I noticed:

1. None of the weapons awaken creatures, which is not good because monsters that are supposed to teleport in and ambush you cannot do so. And it also makes the game too easy.

2. Plasma Caster lock on drains energy, that needs to be fixed.

3. Spear Gun always plays that laughing sound of the Predator when it fires, kind of odd. Maybe you could switch it so that he laughs occasionally when he gibs an enemy? That would work better.

4. Cloaking does not drain energy.

5. Wrist Blade attacks stop the energy from recharging.

Plasma Caster and Spear Gun are really overpowered, and Wrist Blades could use some tweaking. Plus having other functions as an alt fire really limits the use of a weapon. I have some recommendations for you to fix that:

Plasma Caster:

1. Tone down the default damage of the Plasma Caster to be able to only 1 shot kill the following:

Rifle Zombie
Zombie Sergeant
Zombie Commando
Imp
Pinky
Lost Soul

2. Add a charging ability to the Plasma Caster to increase the damage at the cost of more energy. Like in AvP, you held down the secondary fire button to charge up the shot. Charging this weapon all the way at full energy should be about the same damage as the BFG getting hit directly.

Spear Gun:

1. Tone down the default damage of the Spear Gun to be able to only 1 shot kill the following:

Rifle Zombie
Zombie Sergeant
Zombie Commando
Imp
Pinky
Lost Soul

2. Piercing damage should diminish for each target it goes through.

3. Creatures that are not listed above should be able to be pierced through with the Spear Gun.

4. Alt fire should be replaced with the zoom mode.

Wrist Blades:

1. Needs more attack animations, hopefully this will come soon.

2. It needs an alt-fire, it would be nice to get the charged uppercut back. In this MOD it could deal heavy damage and provide knockback, the more it's charged the farther the enemy will get thrown back.

Other than that the MOD is shaping up nicely. Too bad this cannot be used on Brutal Doom as the limb hit boxes would be used to it's full potential, just like the other AvP games. Other stuff like Trophy collecting from enemies, a shop system to spend the collected trophies, and insta-kill headshots using certain weapons against certain monsters would be nice too.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Let me explain a few thing
1. None of the weapons awaken creatures, which is not good because monsters that are supposed to teleport in and ambush you cannot do so. And it also makes the game too easy.
The problem with the weapons in Doom is If you have a weapon without the "WEAPON.NOALERT" flag all enemies are seeing you even while cloaked because the weapons don't have that flag and that defeat the purpose of the cloack. The problem is i have to add that flag on each weapons to keep the stealth useful. If you know a way to make enemies detect the player only after he fires the weapons tell me because i don't know how to do it. BTW the Plasma Blaster do awaken the monsters.
2. Plasma Caster lock on drains energy, that needs to be fixed.
I changed that on purpose because the energy is refilling itself
3. Spear Gun always plays that laughing sound of the Predator when it fires, kind of odd. Maybe you could switch it so that he laughs occasionally when he gibs an enemy? That would work better.
Well actually the laugh is played at projectile death. At first i wanted to add a taunt command but the sound refused to work so i replaced the default death sound with the predator laugh sound.
4. Cloaking does not drain energy

Wrong, if you observes a bit more closely you will see any use of any weapons, zoom and even view mode changes uses energy while using the cloak. If i put back the energy drain while using the cloak it would be useless because it won't hold long enough to really be useful
5. Wrist Blade attacks stop the energy from recharging.
On purpose as well. All attacks of all weapons stop the energy regen
Piercing damage should diminish for each target it goes through.
And how do you do that?
Add a charging ability to the Plasma Caster to increase the damage at the cost of more energy. Like in AvP, you held down the secondary fire button to charge up the shot. Charging this weapon all the way at full energy should be about the same damage as the BFG getting hit directly.
Not sure how to do that one ...
Tone down the default damage of the Plasma Caster to be able to only 1 shot kill the following
Tone down the default damage of the Spear Gun to be able to only 1 shot kill the following:
keep in mind that those enemies won't be there in the final project, it would be all aliens with lots of health, if i tone down the Speargun and the Plasma Caster attack the aliens will kill the player before he even has a chance to kill one.
Alt fire should be replaced with the zoom mode.
Zoom mode and view modes has been changed and now are usable via the zoom key and the reload key. besides what will turn on/off the cloak if i put the zoom on the alt fire of the weapons?
Needs more attack animations, hopefully this will come soon.
I can't agree more :lol: Are you up for the task? I don't know if you saw the sprite i made for the plasma blaster in-game spawn but i am not really a master when it comes to create sprites (and that's an understatement :lol: ). What i'd like to do is to take the AvP2 predator arms and replace the actual claws ... only problem i don't know how i could do that with my limited skills and there is not really a big database for predator sprites at the moment.
It needs an alt-fire, it would be nice to get the charged uppercut back. In this MOD it could deal heavy damage and provide knockback, the more it's charged the farther the enemy will get thrown back.
Again, i don't know how i could do that. (not the alt-fire but the charged uppercut) I'll look into the Project MSX files to see how the charged punch works. it should help me understand how to do it. However if i put that it means the alt-fire won't be available to activate the cloak and since the only things the player has when starting a new game are the claws and the trans-regenerator i'll need to either find a way to bind the cloak to a key instead of a weapon or i remove the cloak from the claws. I also could make the player starts with all weapons(or at least a few) so the cloak would be available. I'll have to dig that one.

As for the trophy collecting to trade with the shop i don't think it will be part of my mod anytime soon. Not only because of my limited skills but also because it's not present in any Predator games i've played so far and that's include AvP, AvP2, Predator concrete jungle and AvP3(well they called it AvP but it's the one released in 2010 so for me it's AvP3) No to mention the Predators don't collect trophies for money, they do that for the trill of the hunt and the prestige it gives them to have the biggest skulls in their collection. Bragging rights i guess :lol:

Thanks for the comments, i'll see what i can improve for future releases :)

Note : If you know someone that could help me with the predator sprites like the smart disk i'd like to add in a future release let me know because that part isn't my forte as you can see.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I was not aware that the Doom enemies were gonna be replaced with Aliens.

Plasma Blaster does not awaken enemies at a distance is what I meant to say. I couldn't get a single ambush through the maps to appear.

If cloaking depleting energy fast is an issue, then shouldn't the drain ratios be reduced? Also seems really odd that swinging my fists would stop it from recharging.

Cloaking should also be it's own hotkey.

SGT_Mark_IV made diminishing piercing damage possible in Brutal Doom somewhere, and I think I also saw it in Russian Overkill by Pillow Blaster. For charged up attacks, a lot of games had that, such as Blood, and of course the Project MSX MOD.

Trophies were a currency system in AvP Extinction, and they were used to buy upgrades and drop in more Predators to fight for you. Which is why I suggested that this be a means of upgrading yourself and getting new equipment. It would make more sense than randomly finding Pred Tech on the ground out of nowhere.

Sadly I am not any kind of modder or designer, just a play tester. You would have to ask around if someone could do sprite work on ripped images from AvP games or something (like how the CoD sprites here were done).
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

AvP extinction is a RTS not a FPS as i recall.

Ho and i tried something for the claws, here is the results

My first rip ever :lol:

Of course for now it's still without animation but i'm working on it. That's also means now that i know how to do that i will be able to put a decent speargun and smart disk :D Maybe i'll also try my luck with the combistick but no promises there. That funny how a little screenshot and Gimp can go a long way :P
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

RTS game or not, it's still an AvP game.

The rip isn't half bad looking. Combistick should be pretty easy.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Valherran wrote:RTS game or not, it's still an AvP game.

The rip isn't half bad looking. Combistick should be pretty easy.
Yes but the animation will be a nightmare i guess

I just finished the speargun

The animation is just 3 frames long but its better than nothing.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Sorry but I have a silly question, as I leave the red crosshairs? even changing the colors the options it only gets green.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Doctrine Dark wrote:Sorry but I have a silly question, as I leave the red crosshairs? even changing the colors the options it only gets green.
If it stay green no matter what it probably means you have the option "Crosshair shows health" enabled in the HUD option menu. Turn it off and you will be able to change the crosshair's color for the one you like.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Thanks for taking me doubts and also for your patience. I noticed something else, it was the same bug terminator at level 2 Plutonia, the ice plasma does not open the secret passage bridge shot in the wall, I got through that part as the predator jumping high jumps. Is to take the Plasma Fire before?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”