AvP 2.0 - JDREDALERT's Edition WIP Is Out For Testing !!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: Predator Mod Final SP2 Released !

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:Did he got a lightsaber? :P Man, those experiments are really funny! I wish you could release that as a joke wad related to your main work.

On a side note, i think i'll create my own thread when i have enough material to release an Alpha version of my Predators project. Heads already started to roll, although this is only aesthetic at the moment. I still got a lot of work to do, specially with the weapons, since some of them will be class-exclusive. But i promise you i'll do my best to make 'em fun to use. ;)
No lightsaber, it's just the predator with the Force :lol: Kinda overpowered just with the Force Push. I don't think i will release it, i don't want to traumatize the Doom fans like i did with my first mod :lol:

As for your Predators project i already know it will be good. Why i know? well all your previous work i've played was really good and i'm sure it will be fun to play :)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Small Update

I modified the 2nd and 3rd HUD and i think i cleaned the HUD quite a bit

2nd HUD (Replacing the normal doom fullscreen HUD)
Spoiler:
As you can see i used the predator's digits instead of normal ones

3rd HUD (Replacing the empty HUD)
Spoiler:
This one has normal digits, basically it's the same as the 2nd HUD but without the predator's digits.

Also the charge meter is now in the centre of the screen around the crossair as you can see in the pictures above. One other change i made is adding an on/off function to control the display of the stats like secrets and total monsters. Here is how it works.

Basically pressing the monster's health bar toggle key once will display the stats, pressing it again will turn off the monster's health bar and the stats tab and finally pressing it a 3rd time will turn the monster's health bar on again.

Later today i'll make a short video to demonstrate the changes i made so far.

Note that this version(SP2-r2) is the normal one and not the experimental one.

More to come :D

EDIT : The video i promised :P
Spoiler:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Just tried out the experimental version. The leveling is pretty cool, but the curve feels a bit steep. I didn't even have a speargun till E1M4, since I only seemed to actually get upgrades at the start of a new level, rather than during the level.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

-Ghost- wrote:Just tried out the experimental version. The leveling is pretty cool, but the curve feels a bit steep. I didn't even have a speargun till E1M4, since I only seemed to actually get upgrades at the start of a new level, rather than during the level.
That's normal, it all depends on how many reward orbs you collected and which enemies you kill. Obviously the stronger the monster the more reward points it gives and i designed it to be played on an average 10 levels wad - i didn't want the player to have the most powerful weapons after only 2 maps. Depending on the wad you are playing with this mod you can have the most powerful weapon(the Plasma Caster, rewarded after reaching 20000 points) after playing at least 7-10 maps. Besides the BFG-9000 can only be found for the first time on map 9 of the regular Doom 2 and is not even there in the whole episode 1 of Ultimate Doom so i think the curve is fairly good. Of course some wads can be hell on Earth the few first maps as i mentioned before because the player starts with only the claws and the accumulator.

The first reward is the mask that can be obtained after collecting only 100 points. Not all wads allows to obtain it after only one map and it largely depends on the difficulty level too since a higher difficulty means more enemies, meaning more points so a player choosing the Youngblood predator difficulty(easy difficulty) will have more troubles to collect points because there is less enemies to kill and less strong enemies and less points to collect.

The rewards goes as follow:

The Mask = At 100 points
The Cloak = At 2000 points
The SpearGun = At 3000 points
The Combi-Stick = At 4000 points
The SmartDisc = At 5000 points
Plasma Blaster = At 10000 points
Plasma Caster = At 20000 points

Why so many points needed for the 2 last weapons? Simply because they are the most useful and powerful weapons of the predator. Since all wads are made to be more difficult while the player progresses it won't take that long to reach 20000 points because enemies like Hell Knights give up to 500 points and if there is any SpiderMasterMinds in they wad they worth 2000 points and killing a Cyberdemon worth 10000 points. So if you have to kill a Cyberdemon soon the few first levels of a wad you will have at least the Plasma Blaster to progress further in that wad.

I am still not sure if i'll integrate that system to the main SP2 because it's not everyone who likes that kind of progression. That's why i need guys like you giving me feedbacks to have a better idea if i should add this system to the main SP2 or make a completely separate mod or just abandon that version to concentrate my efforts on the main SP2 mod.

Anyway thanks for your feedbacks i appreciate it :)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I will try it out and get back to you.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Okay, that makes more sense, I wasn't sure how it was supposed to spread over the levels. I think it'd be a good addition to the main mod, maybe as a menu option/toggle so people can choose? I almost wouldn't mind a way to fight only Doom monsters as well, since it feels kind of weird to fight xenos and then have spectres and hell knights and stuff. And is there a way to instantly get your upgrades? So far it seems like even if I go over the points required I don't get the item till the next level.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Well I just got done stomping Doom 2... You actually start with the best weapon in the game. :lol:

That Energy Charger is OP as hell. :lol:

I didn't know that thing had an attack until I accidentally right clicked on it and vaporized an entire room of Xenomorphs. :lol:

The Spear Gun is a lot better now, other weapons still need work.

Gaining kills for arsenal isn't so bad, this system can stay.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

-Ghost- wrote:Okay, that makes more sense, I wasn't sure how it was supposed to spread over the levels. I think it'd be a good addition to the main mod, maybe as a menu option/toggle so people can choose? I almost wouldn't mind a way to fight only Doom monsters as well, since it feels kind of weird to fight xenos and then have spectres and hell knights and stuff. And is there a way to instantly get your upgrades? So far it seems like even if I go over the points required I don't get the item till the next level.
Honestly i don't know how to make it works instantly. The only way i know how to make the system works was to use an "ENTER" ACS script that execute automatically at each map's starting point.

You can easily have a non-xeno predator mod by removing the wad from the pk3 archive. However you won't have any kind of challenge doing so.
Well I just got done stomping Doom 2... You actually start with the best weapon in the game. :lol:

That Energy Charger is OP as hell. :lol:

I didn't know that thing had an attack until I accidentally right clicked on it and vaporized an entire room of Xenomorphs. :lol:

The Spear Gun is a lot better now, other weapons still need work.

Gaining kills for arsenal isn't so bad, this system can stay.

I guess you are talking about the Accumulator's secondary attack. Don't worry i already lowered the damage it does in the main SP2 along with pumping up the energy it uses.

BTW as i said to -Ghost- above if you don't want the xenos just remove the wad file in the pk3 and you'll have a non-xeno predator mod. But you won't have any kind of challenge doing so because the weakest enemies the xenos replace are way too weak to be a concern for the predator. He is way overpowered for the regular tiny Doom mobs.

What i think could be a good compromise would be to make a non-xeno version of this experimental version and a non-xeno version of the main SP2. Meaning having 4 different versions of the same mod ... ho man :lol:

Thanks for the feedbacks guys :)
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

The new Hud is awesome, so much cleaner and better to look at. Keep it that way! :D

I still haven't played yet, but i really like the fact that you used the upgrades/rewards system! Well done!
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:The new Hud is awesome, so much cleaner and better to look at. Keep it that way! :D

I still haven't played yet, but i really like the fact that you used the upgrades/rewards system! Well done!
Thanks :) I'm still in the process to perfecting the HUD and it will be included in the next release.

The reward system is still not part of the main SP2 version but i think i might release 4 versions next time ... as i mentioned in the previous post i'm considering releasing a non-xeno version of the SP2 and the experimental version in addition of the main SP2 and experimental ones. I guess that way everyone will be happy even if the non-xeno versions will make it even more obvious that the Predator is overpowered :lol:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

If you want to be traumatized look that video i just made for a variant of this mod ... you've been warned :lol:
Spoiler:
Lets hope the Doom community will recover from that one :P
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Why don't you give him the middle finger weapon while yer at it? :lol:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Thanks to jpalomo's great work in his recent update (JP_HUD_V3) i've been able to add the monster's name along with the health bar.
Spoiler:
Great thanks to you jpalomo, i owe you one :)

EDIT : I made some adjustments to the HUD elements placement - pictures updated accordingly
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

New small update

I reworked the HUD a bit more and made a new zoom

Check this video to know more
Spoiler:
I think i'll replace the my old default HUD with this one and make a custom scalable HUD to replace the default fullscreen HUD. As for the default no-hud i'm not sure yet what i'll put there.

Have fun :D
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Small update about the HUD

I replaced the normal and fullscreen default HUDs as well as the one without HUD

The 2 first aren't scalable but the last one is an adapted version of the 2 others but it's scalable to any resolutions from 640x480 to any higher resolutions. Since i don't have an HD monitor i'm not able to test is at HD resolutions but it shouldn't be a problem

Here is the scalable HUD
Spoiler:
It's not much but it's a start.

I'll release SP2-r2 soon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”