GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cryomundus

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.1]

Post by Cryomundus »

In regards to what I said earlier about the shots being offset, I took a picture to show what I meant. (and badly edited it too!)
Spoiler:
It's more about where I'm intending the shots to go, and the actual shot not going directly center to the reticule (from bottom-right to center). It's off to the right and down a bit from it, hence the trouble with steps, since it's coming from lower than where it should. I'm not asking it to come from the bottom middle/center, just that it actually hits dead-center.

Edit: For whatever reason, the invulnerability sphere does not seem to make you invincible. At all. Took one and was still take damage from floor hazards and from enemies, despite the sphere still in effect.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Yeah, god spheres are currently broken due to how I've made Blaz's shield. I'm working on that as well. As for the projectile's aiming quirks, I really don't know how to fix that other than either getting a COMPLETELY new set of arm cannon sprites, or move the arm to the left, both don't sound like ideal situations.
Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy »

Cryomundus wrote: It's more about where I'm intending the shots to go, and the actual shot not going directly center to the reticule (from bottom-right to center). It's off to the right and down a bit from it, hence the trouble with steps, since it's coming from lower than where it should. I'm not asking it to come from the bottom middle/center, just that it actually hits dead-center.
This can't be done. Not reliably, at any rate.
What this amounts to is having two currently parallel lines - one corresponding to your line of sight, the other corresponding to the line of fire for the projectile - intersect. Since we're working with Euclidian geometry, we know that lines that aren't parallel can intersect either zero or one times, so if we angle the line of fire for the projectile, it'll hit your line of sight... in exactly one spot, and nowhere else. Before that point, the projectile is still to the right of your line of sight; past that, it's moving away from it, forever.

So either we decide "okay, 1024 units in it'll hit dead center", and screw up aiming even further for all ranges past that, or we calculate the angle between line of sight and the firing point, and offset it by that, which is a fair bit of math for something that could still easily screw up (what if the monster you're shooting at moves out of the way) and is no longer consistent between shots.

And then the shot looks like it's coming out of the cannon at a weird angle. That changes.

So yeah, barring the shot curving onto the line of sight or something, not happening.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

You know, I've always wondered how TF2 handles it. As far as I know, both normal Rocket Launchers and The Original fire from different offsets, but all of them hit exactly where you aim ( ... except the Beggar's Bazooka ).
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Could do with a monster pack. :whistle:
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Ijon Tichy wrote:
Cryomundus wrote: It's more about where I'm intending the shots to go, and the actual shot not going directly center to the reticule (from bottom-right to center). It's off to the right and down a bit from it, hence the trouble with steps, since it's coming from lower than where it should. I'm not asking it to come from the bottom middle/center, just that it actually hits dead-center.
This can't be done. Not reliably, at any rate.
What this amounts to is having two currently parallel lines - one corresponding to your line of sight, the other corresponding to the line of fire for the projectile - intersect. Since we're working with Euclidian geometry, we know that lines that aren't parallel can intersect either zero or one times, so if we angle the line of fire for the projectile, it'll hit your line of sight... in exactly one spot, and nowhere else. Before that point, the projectile is still to the right of your line of sight; past that, it's moving away from it, forever.

So either we decide "okay, 1024 units in it'll hit dead center", and screw up aiming even further for all ranges past that, or we calculate the angle between line of sight and the firing point, and offset it by that, which is a fair bit of math for something that could still easily screw up (what if the monster you're shooting at moves out of the way) and is no longer consistent between shots.

And then the shot looks like it's coming out of the cannon at a weird angle. That changes.

So yeah, barring the shot curving onto the line of sight or something, not happening.
Honestly, I'd happily take the shot coming out at an odd angle than having it be at it's current position. As it is, I keep on hitting corners, and generally wasting shots that I intend to hit with. It constantly just gets in the way really.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Sorry Cryomundus, I'm not about to break the arm cannon, and I'm too much of a stickler for detail to simply make the projectiles come out of the center of the screen, you'll have to bite the bullet on this one and adapt to Blaz's weaponry

if it's any consolation it's only gonna be Blaz that has this quirk, the other characters will have more centered projectiles
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

This plays wonderfully !
I was dubious about ditching the staff, but the gauntlet looks and plays very convincingly.
The current weapon offsets seem OK to me. When you're using a wall angle for cover, if your right arm is free you can use the gauntlet weapons, and when it's you left arm you can use for example the axe sub-weapon.
The shield is really great.
As for critics :
No melee attack can reach monsters who are "behind bars", it's a bit frustrating when they have enough room to shoot you but your swords can't reach them at all.
The chest and spellbox seem strangely solid. Needing to shoot many times is a bit dull, it feels an incentive to use the non-powered weapons to fill them up.
Health pickups are very underpowered, I feel it's almost mandatory to leech. It leads to keeping the gauntlet ammo in reserve for healing. I'd prefer if the life-giving attack was on the normal sword, or on the gauntlet's "reload" action.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

No "ATTAAAAAAAA!" at the end of the rapid punches. Aww...
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

mmm why no add back the staff for those tricky shot between pilars or for those switches that are far and hard to hit with the gauntlets?
normal attack, simple and quick "line" kind of laser and the alt, maybe some kind of nova with a wave of lasers on all directions :P and maybe add a new weapon bar too? just ideas ;)
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

Actually the charged gauntlet has an area of effect, so against humanoids hiding behind bars it's a solution.
(I guess the staff will come back for "other characters" :wub: )
Oh, and by the way I saw it's possible to use the hook to grab distant chests and spellcubes. Handy when they are dropped by enemies on "turrets" that you can't reach.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

So there's a few other things I've found, namely about the sword's sub-weapons.
Spoiler:
And now, for some recommendations!
Spoiler:
One last thing, in regards to the gauntlets spells.
Spoiler:
Yeesh that was a lot of text.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Good lord no, the Torch doesn't need any buffs, it's easily one of the most powerful attacks in the mod.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

Cryomundus wrote:
Spoiler:
Ahahahaha, no. This sub-weapon is far from useless.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

iSpook wrote:
Cryomundus wrote:
Spoiler:
Ahahahaha, no. This sub-weapon is far from useless.
How, exactly? I've had no success using it, and I find it to be a fairly boring weapon overall. And if anything is beyond medium range it'll never touch it.
Funky Gnoll wrote:Good lord no, the Torch doesn't need any buffs, it's easily one of the most powerful attacks in the mod.
I'd still like it if the flame pillar from the regular version gave some magic back. It's a bit hard to use otherwise, since after a few fireballs you have to either use the sword or chuck torches directly into them, which isn't ideal.

And beyond the initial toss of the fireball, it's a bit unreliable, unless you're dealing with densely packed crowds or large monsters, like arachnos or mancubi. It'll do most things in for sure, but it'll also leave most things alive too. Tried it in a courtyard about medium size with about 2-3 fireballs and it failed to kill the mastermind, most of the barons, and most of the imps. While it might deal the most damage, it sure as hell won't kill much.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”