GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.1]

Post by BradmanX »

This mod is freakin' awesome, I love it!
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

UPDATES! AAAH! *Squees*
It's even better than before. *gasp*
The power gauntlet is just incredibly fun to use. I really like it. Love the music too, so classic.
Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

Is there a way to "reroll" the song that you end up with?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Have I already posted in here? If not, I really should weigh in on this, because this is probably one of the most interesting gameplay mods I've played in a long while, with lots of inventive subweapons and the like. I enjoy the heavy melee focus, because it doesn't make Doom maps impossible to play on account of the extra abilities (like yanking enemies from high ledges) and the Power Gauntlet (was that intended to be Mega Man-esque?).

About the only things I would polish up at this point are the weapons' Tag properties (I have the option enabled to display weapon's tags when I select them with the mousewheel) and possibly finding some way to indicate that players need to use the Reload and Weapon Zoom buttons to access the extra attacks.

I really like the super-subweapon attacks, too. The Torch is a great room clearer. I also highly recommend Scythe 2 with this mod.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

mmm silly question but how i use the secundary power? is the one to the right side next to the axe, lance etc and the , so far no find out what button use it :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Mav3rick wrote:mmm silly question but how i use the secundary power? is the one to the right side next to the axe, lance etc and the , so far no find out what button use it :P
The second power is the subweapon for when the Power Gauntlet is equipped; switch weapons to access it.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

wildweasel wrote:Have I already posted in here? If not, I really should weigh in on this, because this is probably one of the most interesting gameplay mods I've played in a long while, with lots of inventive subweapons and the like. I enjoy the heavy melee focus, because it doesn't make Doom maps impossible to play on account of the extra abilities (like yanking enemies from high ledges) and the Power Gauntlet (was that intended to be Mega Man-esque?).

About the only things I would polish up at this point are the weapons' Tag properties (I have the option enabled to display weapon's tags when I select them with the mousewheel) and possibly finding some way to indicate that players need to use the Reload and Weapon Zoom buttons to access the extra attacks.

I really like the super-subweapon attacks, too. The Torch is a great room clearer. I also highly recommend Scythe 2 with this mod.
First off, I'm very humbled by your compliments, I must be doing something right here.

Secondly, yes, the arm cannon is very megaman inspired, Lord Blaz as a character is the very essence of Capcom arcade fantasy games like Ghosts n Goblins, I snuck a little megaman in there with the arm cannon.

I've been trying to think of some kinda visual icons to add to the HUD to show what buttons a player can press to access the powerup and utility functions of weapons. As comfortable as I am with weapon design, visual design for HUDs isn't a strongpoint. Lastly, by tags do you mean the weapons' names?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

There is a weapon property called Tag that affects what name is displayed when the weapon is selected. Example:

Code: Select all

Tag "Mehrunes' Razor"
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

As much as I like the Arm Cannon, I don't like how it shoots off 6-8 shots and then charges. I'd really love it if I could choose between, say, single fire (for quicker access to the charge shot, but you need to tap to be able to shoot normally), semi-auto (current version, decent for dealing with most things), and full auto (no charge attack, grand for dealing with enemies like mancubus and arachnotron, and for recharging your red mana/magic/energy). Or at least have it single shot, since the charge shot is really useful.

Also, the fact that the shots are offset from where you're actually aiming causes a few problems, namely, your shots never go where you aim them, they often hit ledges due to the offset + hitboxes and aiming down is a nightmare, as you'll frequently wind up hitting the floor/steps. It's a bit irritating, as with vanilla doom you never really have to concern yourself with this. As it is, I find myself preferring the axe and the earthshaker orb spell over everything else, since they'll at least bounce somewhere rather than just hitting a ledge and poofing. (that and having things that can hit below you without needing to actually aim is a huge plus.)

One last thing, the Ball-N-Chain is completely useless in tight corridors, due to the problems above. It wouldn't be so bad if it bounced from side to side before returning, but as it is, its something that I often just don't use due to its rather large hitbox and it's tendency to get caught on corners/not come out at all. And honestly, areas like that is where it should shine, since it would be a better choice than the giant red spike ball, as that's more for dispersing crowds in an open area than a small one(though it does do numbers on small rooms).

Speaking of the GRSB, did you nerf the damage it does? For the amount of times it hits something, it seems to do less than the smaller spike orbs. I do really love the trap-mines tho, they're wonderful for panic moments and sudden boss spawns. The Ult's for the sword weapons are wonderful to use btw. Tho, the whole multi-grapple thing doesn't really seem that useful, even for comboing with the power slash. The single one is way more useful once I remembered it always causes flinching. Makes Archies less of a nightmare, though I did have an instance of pulling one directly on top of me.

It's certainly a major upgrade to the past versions, it's very fun to play, even with all of my complaints.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

Cryomundus wrote:As much as I like the Arm Cannon, I don't like how it shoots off 6-8 shots and then charges.
If my memory serves me well, I'm pretty sure that's how the charge beams worked in the first Metroid games. You fired a few times, then started to actually charge.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:-lots of useful feedback-
Yeah, I'm removing the flailshot in favor of a firing mode selector for the arm cannon: Switch between rapid fire bolts or the charge shot. Now that Blaz pretty much has all of his weapons, now begins the process of fine tuning things and giving things a nice dose of polishing. Sadly I'm not changing the offsets for Blaz's weaponry, as the projectiles flying out of the middle of the screen is weird as hell due to the angle of his arm cannon, sorry. The caltrops are going to get nerfed slightly because they fall into the realm of "What the hell was I thinking" because you can perma-stun monsters with them. I'll probably amp up the damage of the big spike ball shot too.
terranova wrote:
Cryomundus wrote:As much as I like the Arm Cannon, I don't like how it shoots off 6-8 shots and then charges.
If my memory serves me well, I'm pretty sure that's how the charge beams worked in the first Metroid games. You fired a few times, then started to actually charge.

Actually that only applied to Metroid Prime Hunters, which is what the current arm cannon's mechanics are based off of, though it feels too damn clunky at the moment so I'll be fixing that
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

This is great, even if I am utterly, miserably terrible at playing it. I do have one suggestion for it, though: Heretic support. You know it makes sense!
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Heretic support? Heh, actually, it does make sense! Shouldn't be very hard to adapt.

After playing for a while with the new version. I just don't like the caltrop mode of the cannon very much, doesn't feel very powerful in the dealing damage field, although it feels good as utility (health drain, bouncing shots). I use it so little that I didn't even notice it could stunlock enemies.
It feels like that one weapon in Heretic, that fires explosive spikey balls at high speed, yet does such modest damage that kinda gives visual/action whiplash.
I mean, I can live with it and everything, but it just feels not as good as having the charge attack and special shots as normal mode does, unlike the sword.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
terranova wrote:

Actually that only applied to Metroid Prime Hunters, which is what the current arm cannon's mechanics are based off of, though it feels too damn clunky at the moment so I'll be fixing that
Yeah, that was only Hunter's, which did only due to the really bad aiming controls that wound up hurting your wrists more than anything. Fun game, garbage controls. The other Prime's/Metroid's used the "Megaman" style charging, which was one shot, then begin charging.

Also, what is the player's boss killer? As OP as the stun mine's are, they're pretty much you're only lifesaver against bosses, though it does make them helpless. Perhaps they could add slowdown, sort of like burrs, where the more is stuck to an enemy, the slower it moves? I'm not sure if this is actually possible in the engine tho, as I don't think I've ever seen something that applies slow.

The health steal part of the powered version is really the main focus of it, since the health drops give so little, so it makes sense that it's not that powerful. The big ball shot is gonna be stronger tho, since it doesn't steal health. I do kinda wish there were powered versions of the spells like the weapons, but that's just me. It would be pretty cool tho.
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't mind having a weak draining attack with a secondary powered spell as well. I almost never use the big ball shot in powered mode. I recall the few times I used it, it would just miss even if dead-center with an imp that moved a single pixel to a side. Maybe small radius? Need to check it out to confirm later tonight. Take that with a grain of salt, going from memory.

By the way, I think it'd be possible to add a slowing effect with A_SetTics() and a counter (user var or inventory token) raised when the attack hits. Just in case that helps any.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”