[Released] The Gunfighter: The Wild West now in Heretic!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

[Released] The Gunfighter: The Wild West now in Heretic!

Post by Ral22 »

While this thread may belong to me under my screen name, this project actually belongs to my brother who goes under "S" as a screen name. He threw this little beauty together (With a bit of help from me) and I managed to convince him to release it. However, for whatever reason, he refuses to get an account on this forum, but this mod of his needed to see daylight beyond our computers. Below is what he had to say on the project. I hope you all enjoy his work!
Greetings to my fellow Doom community members! You may simply call me S. The time has come to release my first significant contribution to the community. I hope you will enjoy playing it as much as I did making it.

Growing up, one of my favorite games to play was Outlaws, the timeless Old West first-person shooter by LucasArts. As the years drew on, however, the power of the computers increased a hundred-fold, leaving older games like Outlaws in the dust- making it difficult to play on modern operating systems, especially without the availability and support of a source port. At the same time, the modding capabilities of Doom, my all time favorite video game (and greatest one of all time) have become so incredibly powerful that it is now possible to create just about anything you would want in this humble little engine. So, an idea occurred to me. Since I could not play Outlaws easily, why not bring it to Doom? Thus, the concept for The Gunfighter was born.

The resulting product is a PWAD for Doom that stays as close to the style of gameplay that was featured in Outlaws. You'll find all the basic mechanics there, including:
- All nine weapons from the original, from the fists all the way up to the mighty Gatling gun
- Alternate firing modes for most weapons
- Reloading
- A scope for the Rifle
- A stamina bar that affects your jumping and running abilities
- A lantern that can be activated whenever you need it
- Portable doctor bags that can be carried throughout levels

There are certain liberties that I took with the gameplay:
- In Outlaws, whenever you used the Gatling Gun, it forced you to stay in one place. In The Gunfighter you can still move with the Gatling Gun out, but your speed is decreased.
- You cannot use ZDoom's crosshairs anymore. Instead, there is a new crosshair that you can turn on and off with the press of a key.
- Due to the nature of the gameplay, Autoaim has been disabled. In this case, make sure mouselook is on if you decide to play this mod!
- The Icon of Sin cannot be harmed by the weapons you get in The Gunfighter. Instead, there is a new way to beat him. How that is will be up to you to discover!

Here are some brief but very important things that you should know while playing The Gunfighter:
- The Gunfighter is meant to be played in the latest official version of GZDoom. Certain gameplay mechanics and graphics rely on GZDoom's powerful GL capabilities; it will not work or display properly on regular ZDoom! It is also important that you turn dynamic lights on as well.
- This game was designed with Vanilla or Boom style level sets in mind. Due to the presence of heavy ACS scripts, it may not work with other ZDoom mods. If you do still play with ZDoom exclusive level sets, play at your own risk! Chances are, you'll break the game in some unintended way.
- This game has not been tested in multiplayer. It was meant as a single-player experience. Theoretically, it can be run on ZDoom servers; it is confirmed that it will not work with Zandronum at all.
- Due to the nature of the graphics, only 4:3 ration screen resolutions are supported. It will not work with 5:4 or any widescreen resolutions at all! Also, please be aware that I have no intention of making it widescreen-friendly.
- Make sure you have keys defined for Run, Reload Weapon, Weapon Zoom, and for browsing through inventory items and selecting them! There are important gameplay functions that rely on these keys.

If you wish to go more in-depth with these issues, please refer to the manual that is included with the game. Not only will it help you with any problems that you may encounter with the game, but it includes a lot of helpful information about every aspect of The Gunfighter's gameplay. I personally suggest that you read it at least once before you begin playing.

Also included with The Gunfighter is a special music add-on that emulates the music played in Outlaws. For every stage it will select three random tracks from the Outlaws soundtrack and play them in a looping order. Much like in Outlaws, there will be a delay when the game is loading a new track (this is minimal in newer machines) and the music will pause when in the menu or console. I recommend you give it a try as it really adds to the atmosphere of The Gunfighter!

And now, without further ado, the downloads link for The Gunfighter. Please enjoy, and feel free to leave your comments, suggestions or bug reports below.

The Gunfighter (Now with Heretic support): https://www.mediafire.com/?t9c064yjb1y3x3n
Music Add-on Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4oa4 ... un_mus.pk3

Here is the list of credits for all people who were directly and indirectly involved with the creation of The Gunfighter:
Spoiler:
Happy trails!
- S
Now with Heretic support at my insistence at my brother. Enjoy!
Last edited by Ral22 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [Released] The Gunfighter: The Wild West comes back to D

Post by Matt »

So what's the difference whether you turn on the crosshair or not?
(let's say you taped a tiny dot to your screen and you could always aim for the centre of your view whether or not this thing was toggled...)
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

However, for whatever reason, he refuses to get an account on this forum, but this mod of his needed to see daylight beyond our computers.
theories??? i guess his kicked for some demand.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

This is awesome! It's very faithful to the original as well (from what I can remember at least)
If your brother wants a source port (of sorts), direct him here. Hopefully OutlawsXL will be released soon :wink:
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

I'll be speaking for S once more, just to answer a few replies:

@Vaecrius: Almost nothing. It's just to replicate the Outlaws crosshair.

@Skyrish10: No, no. He ended up telling me he thought it would be a waste of an account because he may not release anything else. He's worked on Doom for about as along as I have, but nothing has really been completed. That's why when he finished this, I was so adamant that he release it.

@TZK: Oh, yes. We're very much aware of the XLEngine. We hope it sees a release soon as well.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Just gave this a spin in Doom 2. Was a lot of fun, although I admittedly gave up about a third of the way through (It starts off pretty easy due to strong early weaponry, but once you hit Dead Simple, the lack of a proper rocket launcher/BFG really starts to hurt. Not to the point of impossibility, but I don't have the patience for it at the moment.)

In lieu of a well-written and thorough review, I'll just say that if your brother ever finishes anything else, you better make damn sure he shares. ;)
Ral22

Re: [Released] The Gunfighter: The Wild West now in Heretic!

Post by Ral22 »

The Gunfighter has been updated to support Heretic, since I kept nagging my brother to do so. Grab your copy today in the main post and blast away the vile monsters with your trusty six-shooter!
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

I made my own edit of the mod. COD style lol. (link removed @ behest of topic's request, will place link elsewhere)
Last edited by RV-007 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

RV-007 wrote:I made my own edit of the mod. COD style lol. link
No.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Now w/ only revolver + rifle (as conventional weapons), but no required reload 2!
Colorize those keys w/ a background || outline color plz.
Last edited by RV-007 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

RV-007 wrote:I made my own edit of the mod. COD style lol.
You should really ask the author's permission before you go around releasing mods of mods.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Thy bro says no for this topic, but I could place my edit elsewhere. Where should I place my edit?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

RV-007 wrote:Thy bro says no for this topic, but I could place my edit elsewhere. Where should I place my edit?
Ideally, nowhere, unless you can confirm that you've received permission from Ral22 (or his brother) to release it.
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Concerning the edit by RV-007 (Who contacted me in a PM), my brother wished to not have a branch of his mod available. I myself suggested that RV-007 use the gameplay he developed in his C.o.D version and utilize new graphics and the like to differentiate his work from my brother's.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”