[WIP/Release] Brutal Doom SE

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
worldendDominator

Re: [WIP/Release] Brutal Doom SE

Post by worldendDominator »

After playing BDSE for a while, here are my impressions - mostly about how it's different from vanilla BD.
- Performance is much better here. I checked it with Holyhell.wad, and it's a difference between a crawl and decent play. (dropped it anyway 'cause it's boring)
- Chainsaw secondary is great. Much more useful than primary, because it doesn't cause screenshake and doesn't pull you to the enemy.
- I almost never used chainsaw combo - it's hard to find an enemy that doesn't die in one swing and is safe enough to fight in melee. Nevertheless, it's cool when I bother to use it.
- Gun recoil is a huge pain, so I turned it off it immediately.
- Non-automatic rifle secondary is also annoying - there is pretty much nothing that dies in one shot, so I have to mash my mouse whenever I use it. And I couldn't turn it off because the mutator conflicts with NoRecoil :(
- Considering how long it takes to spin the chaingun primary, I just always use secondary. Really, there is no reason to not always leave it spinning - except maybe for the recoil, I have no idea.
- Rocket launcher secondary is a godsend. In vanilla BD, I considered cheating myself Skulltag grenade launcher a few times, but couldn't find its ID/console name - and now it's here :D
- Reduced plasma rifle reload time is very welcome. It just felt too clunky and unreliable before.
- Plasma shotgun is pretty nice. I thought I would miss the plasma flamethrower - it was very useful for quick archvile frying - but the shotgun does that even better.
- BFG secondary is also cool, although there aren't many opportunities to use it.
- Revastator primary now is actually not garbage. In fact, it's outstanding against cacos (and skulls too) and good against any fast-moving far-away enemies.
- Mancubus cannon is overshadowed by everything else, but still fun due to the chaos it often causes. Haven't ever used the secondary.
- Destroyable corpses are fun, and also you can butcher revenants and mancos for their weapons. Still, some corpses are blatantly indestructible - particularly burned ones, which makes plasma and mancannon bad because they prevent you from getting monsters' weapons.

On a different topic, now I've met the same bugs in two separate WADs. Both use ZDoom scripting (Eternal Doom IV and Titan), so it's probably related to that. The bugs are: first, gibbing certain corpse decorations crashes the game; second, killing monsters in deep water occasionally crashes the game; third, imps behave Really Weird in deep water. Could you please look into that? I can provide more information.
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

Another thing I forgot to add: custom menu background and music replace PWADs' BG and music. Which isn't good, I'd often prefer to see those.
I think menu background/music would be better as an optional mutator.
Moktar

Post by Moktar »

Coincident wrote:
SigFloyd wrote:I'm thinking I might make SE a separate fork off of v19 entirely and be it's own thing if there's no news about v20 in the coming months.
Overall, BDSE feels much more stable, polished, of higher quality, and consistent gameplay.
Why would anyone go back to regular brutal on v20? To dual wield rifles? :roll: so much for the balancing...
I think people would support you if you'd make SE a separate fork.
+1 -- I see the changes made on Brutal v20 rather excessive, I really prefer BDSE for it's balancing and overall quality over the original mod.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Moktar wrote:
Coincident wrote:
SigFloyd wrote:I'm thinking I might make SE a separate fork off of v19 entirely and be it's own thing if there's no news about v20 in the coming months.
Overall, BDSE feels much more stable, polished, of higher quality, and consistent gameplay.
Why would anyone go back to regular brutal on v20? To dual wield rifles? :roll: so much for the balancing...
I think people would support you if you'd make SE a separate fork.
+1 -- I see the changes made on Brutal v20 rather excessive, I really prefer BDSE for it's balancing and overall quality over the original mod.
+2!
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

^
I find BD v20's changes to be shite.
BDSE is much better.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I honestly can't get into v20 (or bd submods) since project brutality. I really... Really... Really want submods of this, or at least more customization. Though i would say, v20b will come soon, and a bdse based off it would be nice, sig can scrap what he doesn't like, but many things are nice imo. At very least, sprite / gore updates, ect.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

There might also be many more marine lines, courtesy of me. Right now you can get it as a mod here if you want to.
Moktar

Post by Moktar »

I recently installed the latest build from SVN (gzdoom-g2.1.pre-1196-g02c3828) from Jul 16 and while it works better than any previous dev build, BDSE seems to be completely messed up. If any monster attacks you at closest range it also damages them causing them to "commit suicide".

If anyone have any idea how to fix this behavior, it would be helpful —sorry but my mod editing skills are very basic, otherwise I would post the fix for everyone—. I think there are more issues, because the engine detects more conflicts at startup.

It happens on the version from SigFloyd's and the version I've been editing —I've tried to merge some features from BD20 & Project Brutality —quake-like strafing e.g.— succesfully. So I think I haven't fucked up anything.

Well, better explained on the video below.

Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

This looks a lot like from an older version of BD where the possessed humans of all flavors occasionally ended up headshot killing themselves due to hitting their own head bounding box, especially the chaingunner.
Moktar

Post by Moktar »

I'm currently studying everything about DECORATE, if I learnt something, I hope I can fix this issue within the next days. There are apparently some "inoffensive" conflicts with Actors on GZDoom 1.8.10+, but the issues with the blood actors at close range are from the 2.1pre branch —the coolest branch, dammit.
Last edited by Moktar on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

This is probably something related to the blood actors... I *think* it's spawning the projectile blood actors with A_CustomMissile instead of A_SpawnItemEx...
Moktar

Post by Moktar »

Well, I think I fixed the issues with blood actors. So I uploaded the file for everyone:

BDSE_19_Actors_Fixed: http://www.mediafire.com/?tdtaedr6p19g9pc

Uh, it has some slighty modifications I made but those are mainly minimal, e.g. strafe-tilting and some other tweaks.
Kracov

Post by Kracov »

Sigfloyd I noticed you used my art for your mod titlepic. Please credit me in the text file.
psychorat911

Post by psychorat911 »

So I'm necroing this!

Is there a status update (2016...) on future work related to this masterpiece? Could we have one?

Even if it is: "I do not plan of doing anything more on this" I would like to ear it for peace of mind ;P

Last we eared it was on hold/slow mode to let more time to RL issue...it was like a year ago.

Thank you
RoastyMytosis

Post by RoastyMytosis »

Moktar wrote:Well, I think I fixed the issues with blood actors. So I uploaded the file for everyone:

BDSE_19_Actors_Fixed: http://www.mediafire.com/?tdtaedr6p19g9pc

Uh, it has some slighty modifications I made but those are mainly minimal, e.g. strafe-tilting and some other tweaks.
May I request that you do the same for bdj?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”