Brutal Doom 0.19 Vanilified

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nemesis6

Brutal Doom 0.19 Vanilified

Post by Nemesis6 »

First things first. Credit goes to the following people:

[*]Sergeant_Mark_IV's for his Brutal Doom 0.19 (NOT FINAL!)
[*]Zeratul 67 for his Particle Fire Enhancer Mod
[*]PerKristian's for his SFX mod
[*]NightFright and other posters in this thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32628 for his improved version of PerKristian's Smooth Animations mod

What this mod does is simple: Basic features of the Brutal Doom mod are retained such as the gore; location-specific damage, monsters crawling around without legs, body parts and blood everywhere, etc, but the new weapons are removed and replaced by PerKristian's improved versions of the vanilla weapons. That is to say it's the normal doom weapons, but with much smoother animation. In addition, I have taken some creative liberty and kept/added some features from Zeratul67's Particle Fire Enhancer mod, such as shell-casings flying bullet weapons. Lastly, PerKristian's improved weapon sounds have been added in place of the normal Doom ones.

Keep in mind this is a beta at best; I have not fixed all I wanted to, but by and large this was what I set out to make I started messing with this stuff. I have learned so much how editing for Zdoom works, which leads me to this:

This mod is only compatible with GZDoom due to the PFEH mod utilizing some fancy lighting effects!

Any kind of criticism is welcome, apart from commenting on the giant mess inside the archive. I know there's a lot of obsolete stuff, but bear with me! :oops:

Incompatibilities encountered:
D2TWID - Secret-related. There will be some sound oddities in one of the secret levels. Just open the D2TWID.wad file with the SLADE tool, delete the DEHACKED file there, and replace it with this one:
Last edited by Nemesis6 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:24 am, edited 13 times in total.
eclipse
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): where did the discord field go

Re: Brutal Doom 0.19 Lite - My version

Post by eclipse »

Well, it's cool, but could I get a version without the smooth animations? Some weapon mods seem to glitch with it.
Last edited by eclipse on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Awesome, I love BD Lite's locational damage. I hope you keep working on this. I agree with the above, though. You may want to split it up a bit to maximize compatibility if you can, unlike the old BD Lite. Also did you ever fix that weird glitch where you'd take damage if you headshotted something close up?
USSRBear

Post by USSRBear »

this is really cool! Found a glitch though, shotguns use twice as many shells per shot, so the pump uses 2 shells for each shot, and the SSG uses 4 per shot. Also, Rowsol made a cool mod where, among a lot of changes, he allowed all the weapons to fire instantly (other than the BFG ofcourse), it's a really nice mechanic that smooths out the gunplay. I could see that benefiting this already great enhancement. But the whole brutal doom meets particle fire enhancer is awesome! I was hoping one day this would happen.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Yeah I missed the error with the shotguns. Shotguns are fixed, gonna move on to see what happens when I... well, rip and tear the new weapon animations out. As for headshots doing damage on close up, I haven't encountered that one yet.

I've uploaded the fixed shotguns (and plasma rifle!) to the main post. As for getting the main weapons back, that is is a little more tricky because of dependencies on Brutal Doom stuff not commented out, but instead replaced by an additional file I added to the main archive. I'll keep messing with it, but this will take a bit longer since I'm still learning how brutal doom does... well, its stuff.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

The headshot thing was always a weird bug. The last BD Lite I've got is v13. It's most noticeable when you chainsaw an imp or zombie and manage to get a headshot. It could pretty much knock you from full HP/armor to half armor and like 20-30 HP. I could've sworn I've seen it kill nearby enemies too. I'll give your version a go and let you know if I see it happening.
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

OOO sbrightmaps as well !! hmm is it possible to keep the tied up marines?
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

I'm currently in the process of updating the resources of the current version to that of 0.19 final, it might take a little time, so be patient.

Also, I honestly don't know about the marines. I haven't really looked at how brutaldoom handles them. What happened is that the marines were replaced by a modified version of the invisibility sphere in the Particle Enhancer mod. It's quite possible that if I remove this addition, they will be back and work fine. What I mean is, if I re-add them in place of those spheres, they not be freeable by using the normal fists. Blah blah blah, I'll have a look at it.
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

Slight update -- The next beta, based on 0.19, is almost done. Re-adding the marines is problematic, because while they work fine, they will attack the player once done with other monsters. There's also a slight animation issue when they punch monsters, but that's a minor thing I think. I was not able to fix the problems with close headshots causing damage to the player, either. So anyway, the next version will be coming out in a few days.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

The headshot thing is really only an issue for the chainsaw in my experience, since it's hard to aim. Everything else is usually okay since zombies are weak enough to kill with body shots and you don't want to get that close to anything else.
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Interesting, well if you are unable to get the marines on your side then I guess we can live without the marines... getting the rest of the v19 enhancements working is good enough for me.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I think that calling this mod "Lite" is misleading - BD Lite is defined as having no weapons. If you include weapons, then it's not "Lite" anymore, because you can't use it with different weapon mods.
-Ghost- wrote:The headshot thing was always a weird bug. The last BD Lite I've got is v13. It's most noticeable when you chainsaw an imp or zombie and manage to get a headshot. It could pretty much knock you from full HP/armor to half armor and like 20-30 HP. I could've sworn I've seen it kill nearby enemies too. I'll give your version a go and let you know if I see it happening.
I fixed it for X-Weapon by giving the player Brutal Doomguy's DamageFactors - it's something that can be fixed on the weapons-mod level by adding this to any accompanying player actors:

Code: Select all

//Brutal Doom damagefactors
		damagefactor "Trample", 8.0
		damagefactor "Head", 0.0
		damagefactor "FriendBullet", 0.0
		damagefactor "Taunt", 0.0
		damagefactor "KillMe", 0.0
		damagefactor "SSG", 5.0
		damagefactor "Shrapnel", 0.5
		damagefactor "Blood", 0.5
		damagefactor "BlueBlood", 0.5
		damagefactor "GreenBlood", 0.5
		damagefactor "MinorHead", 0.0
		damagefactor "Decaptate", 0.0
		damagefactor "MonsterKnocked", 0.0
		damagefactor "Cut", 4.0
		damagefactor "Kick", 3.0
		damagefactor "Fatality", 5.0
		damagefactor "SuperPunch", 5.0
		damagefactor "HelperMarineFatallity", 0.0
		damagefactor "Leg", 0.0
		damagefactor "SpawnMarine", 0.0
Nemesis6

Post by Nemesis6 »

I guess you're right. In a sense it's lite only in the sense that the weapons look like the normal ones, but code-wise they aren't. I'll be working on an actually "lite" version after the next version is out. Thank you so much for the info on the damagefactors by the way! :thumb:

On that topic, the new 0.19 final version will be out tomorrow. All major issues have been ironed out.
Nemesis6

Re: Brutal Doom 0.19 (kind-of)Lite - My version

Post by Nemesis6 »

Latest version version has been updated, based on the 0.19 final.
Nemesis6

Re: Brutal Doom 0.19 (kind-of)Lite - My version

Post by Nemesis6 »

New version is out -

Changelog:
* Added effects to the chaingun and shotguns
* Fixed monster fatalities
* Probably all kinds of stuff I don't remember

On another note: I'm busy boxing with an actual lite version that resets the weapons to the default ones. It's working, but the problem is that for god knows what reason, the super-shotgun does not show up in the player inventory. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the move to Brutal Doom 0.19, but I'm not sure yet.

If anyone think they can figure it out, here's the lite-lite version: http://www.multiupload.nl/RZ4R3ET241

Return to “Gameplay Mods”