Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Indecom

Re: Official Oculus Rift GZ3Doom thread

Post by Indecom »

really looking forward to trying the new changes. sounds great!

For anyone that plays this with a rift, you can lower your player speed by typing turbo 65 into the console, sets it to 65% speed which feels great for me.
biospud

Post by biospud »

I'm having trouble fixing one problem with GZ3Doom. I could use some advice. The player eye-level is at chest-height of the soldiers. I'm pretty sure I should be seeing them eye-to-eye. Plus, in the oculus rift, the floor appears to come up to my knees. So the whole player viewpoint needs to be shifted upward.

Is there a setting for the player view height? Is there a forum for developers where I might be able to get advice on this problem from other programmers?
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

It can be specified for the player class in DECORATE, but I don't know if there's any non-hack way to do it in the engine code.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You'd probably need to add a new property, such as Player.ViewHeightVR, which defines an alternate viewheight used only for rendering when using a VR device.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That sounds messy. Wouldn't that create view height inconsistencies between VR and non-VR users?
Gez

Post by Gez »

The problem here is that the standard viewheight is apparently wrong when using an Oculus Rift, and changing the default viewheight all the time even when not using such a device would also be wrong for hopefully obvious reasons.
Ghoul_RUS

Post by Ghoul_RUS »

I want to see how it works with Brutal doom!
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Ghoul_RUS wrote:I want to see how it works with Brutal doom!
Obviously everyone would be bleeding hyper-realistic blood and shouting FUCK YOURSELF.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Ghoul_RUS wrote:I want to see how it works with Brutal doom!
There are a couple of videos on youtube showing Brutal Doom on the Rift.

To avoid some texture glitches when playing Brutal Doom in the Rift, it is important to either disable dynamic lighting, or to set
Options->Display Options->OpenGL Options->Dynamic Light Options->Use Shaders for Lights->YES
biospud

Post by biospud »

Nash wrote:That sounds messy. Wouldn't that create view height inconsistencies between VR and non-VR users?
I agree it will be messy; but there is an issue here I would like to be able to address. The Rift makes it more obvious that the player viewpoint is a bit weird. I'm trying to take my time here, and incorporate everyone's advice to find the best solution I can. I'll probably create a console variable that allows users to get whichever behavior they prefer. It will probably be a real tradeoff.

While investigating this, I decided I should try to place the player view point at the eye height of the multiplayer player avatar. But I discovered that the player avatar (and other enemies) are taller in gzdoom than they are in zdoom. So there is not necessarily a single standard I can rely on.

Can someone name examples of doom engine games where there are player classes with different heights? I probably need to investigate those before adopting a strategy here. Please keep the advice and discussion coming.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by kevansevans »

Why not throw in a toggle that adjusts the height of the view point for player preference?
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

I've just finished the third episode from Ultimate DooM. Was an amazing trip. Again, thanks.

Also, i want to point one bug, if you pick the enviromental suit, only the right screen from Occulus seems to turn green, not affecting the other "eye".
biospud

Post by biospud »

Naitguolf wrote:I've just finished the third episode from Ultimate DooM. Was an amazing trip. Again, thanks.

Also, i want to point one bug, if you pick the enviromental suit, only the right screen from Occulus seems to turn green, not affecting the other "eye".
You're welcome! I'm extremely pleased you enjoyed this experience. Thank you for the bug report. Please please communicate any other bugs/suggestions you have. I have opened this green effect issue on gitub https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issues/15.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

I don't have an Oculus Rift, but this looks awesome, and you clearly put effort into it.
Nice work, man. :D
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I'm crossing my eyes to watch this stuff as much as I can but omg it looks BEAUTIFUL

Return to “Game Engines”