X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m4lmaster

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: Helsturm (Updated 07-02-14)

Post by m4lmaster »

oh i dont use software i run on OpenGL, but it seems to be running just fine now!
Mini--Joe

Post by Mini--Joe »

can you make a version of this with the vanilla weapons? with the clip based reloads still, just with the normal weapons?
Morter

Post by Morter »

So is the Prototype Tactical Shotgun supposed to be the upgrade to the normal shotgun? Because I can select both, but the Tactical's shell shot can one-hit-kill pinkies and has a lovely spread that destroys like 4 zombiedudes in 1 blast. But the regular pump sometimes fails to kill imps at close range!

I'm playing Doom 1 and I found the prototype in e1m1 by happenstance. I like playing around with different weapons but if the tactical's blast costs the same ammo as the regular shotgun (ie: I would totally understand if the tactical cost 2-3 shells per trigger pull), there's NO reason to touch regular shotguns, if the tactical is not an upgrade.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I'm sure the normal shotgun is there for long range.
Morter

Post by Morter »

I suppose you're right, but the prototype shotgun also has the slug mode that GIBS a lot of smaller monsters with pretty good accuracy. I've made a couple of fun crackshots this way.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

it never happens in real life, but the damage is superior than buckshots, it's entertainingly reasonable.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: Helsturm (Hotfix 08-27-14)

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, a quick update before I spend the next undefined period of time making headshots work:

*Test weapon has been disabled
*LMG and LMG Zombie have been removed
*Projectile shootability has been reconfigured; demon plasma cannot be shot down, but enemy explosives can
*X-Enemies has been updated to match changes to X-Weapon

I may get the software sprites out the door before the next big update, but said update won't come until I figure out why every attempt I make at simplifying and adapting BD's headshot system ends in hitboxes that only serve to protect the bastards from damage (as the headshot hitbox actor's explosion doesn't seem to hurt them at all).

EDIT - 27 August 2014:

*Assault rifle recoil completely reworked; instead of being based off of normal bullet spread, semi-random pitch and angle adjustments that increase during prolonged firing produce the actual recoil effect, using a smaller base bullet spread to keep individual hip-fired shots from keeping any real accuracy.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Quick question: how the hell are you supposed to kill anything with the starting handgun? I literally die in almost every start of every custom map set, it feels so weak that it's not even funny.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

@insightguy: To me, it's not that the starting handgun's so weak, but that I have a hell of a time hitting anything with it from a decent range.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Yes, the start is still pretty damn difficult. If just your fist could be useful...
Please make the fist a little more powerful in the next update. Please, Railgunner.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

TheBadHustlex wrote:Yes, the start is still pretty damn difficult. If just your fist could be useful...
Please make the fist a little more powerful in the next update. Please, Railgunner.
I honestly don't feel that the fist should be terribly useful to begin with, at least early on - I mean, it's a last ditch weapon with no ammo use whatsoever. Nevertheless (goddamn it), I will, reluctantly, attempt to rebalance the fist (a ROF increase may be necessary to approach the vanilla Fist's painlocking capacity).

Also, I forgot to mention this when I uploaded the newest version, but there are now four starts, each with a pistol and a more powerful starting weapon:

*P1 starts with the AR
*P2 gets the Shotgun
*P3 rolls out with an upgraded Nighthawk and the Super Shotgun
*P4 just doesn't know what to do with his Bluetail and Demontech Rifle loadout

Oh, and all Slot 4's have semi-automatic firing modes - P1 starts with this mode active. Finally, the Fist has been buffed all around.
BlackWolf

Post by BlackWolf »

Hey, RG! I really like how this mod is shaping, one of my top three favs along with BrutalD and DZone. Anyways, I want to ask what size (in pixels) the weapon sprites are when you work on them (touch-up, color changing, etc). No offense to Pillow and Toasty but after playing so many mods with their weapons being reused I'm getting tried of looking at them so I deciced to do something about it; I'll just draw up new ones from nothing. The reason I ask this is when the sprites are done will they be streched when the game runs or will they compress despite the screen res you set? I did a base for a friend once and when he did a test run he got angry about the shotgun loooking to fat, so I assume the program widens the art to fit computer screens.

Oh, the Gunner Imps are nothing but trolls. I swear they tear me apart on the first stage of (I need to Bleed More lvl). It's not the damage they do, it's not having a decent weapon to put them down with. The fist are just asking me to get killed and the pistol has to smallish of clip. That's also with the fact that I MAY get a better weapon by chance. That, and their may be more than one Gunner Imp lurking around the corner to finish me off. :x
joshwist55

Post by joshwist55 »

how do you add a hud because the hud doesn't show when i play but everything else work.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

BlackWolf wrote:Hey, RG! I really like how this mod is shaping, one of my top three favs along with BrutalD and DZone. Anyways, I want to ask what size (in pixels) the weapon sprites are when you work on them (touch-up, color changing, etc). No offense to Pillow and Toasty but after playing so many mods with their weapons being reused I'm getting tried of looking at them so I deciced to do something about it; I'll just draw up new ones from nothing. The reason I ask this is when the sprites are done will they be streched when the game runs or will they compress despite the screen res you set? I did a base for a friend once and when he did a test run he got angry about the shotgun loooking to fat, so I assume the program widens the art to fit computer screens.

Oh, the Gunner Imps are nothing but trolls. I swear they tear me apart on the first stage of (I need to Bleed More lvl). It's not the damage they do, it's not having a decent weapon to put them down with. The fist are just asking me to get killed and the pistol has to smallish of clip. That's also with the fact that I MAY get a better weapon by chance. That, and their may be more than one Gunner Imp lurking around the corner to finish me off. :x
The first paragraph...to be honest, I work on them at the resolution they're at in the .pk3 itself (it'd probably come out a lot better if I had higher-res variants).

The funny thing about the Imp Gunners is that they were intended to be the MAIN Imp replacement, but it made a good number of maps simply unplayable. Anyway, I've noticed a sharp difference between X-Weapon's UV and the next one up, so I'm gonna have to reconsider how I implement difficulty as far as this and other projects of mine are concerned. At least for now, players get the choice of an additional starting weapon, as well as a slightly stronger fist and faster Nighthawks.

On that note, however, I have started on what can be considered Helsturm proper, in the way of angled Slot 4 weapons, along with a successor weapon to the recently canned LMG and existing DMR. I'll include the link, but be warned - the ARs are the ONLY weapons that have changed. Credits to DoomNukem for the optic and rail (and AFAIK, the AtM ARs themselves) and HazeBandicoot for part of his M60.

Helsturm transitional build
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackWolf

Post by BlackWolf »

Thanks. Though I feel like I'm jut back tracking to save my pride, I posted the frist one before I tried the newer Hellstrum and the new class DoomGuys with diffrent starting weapons made the Imp Gunner comlpaint seem redundant now, though I still think they're trolls. As for the second UV level "Bleed More", that was made for me! All the Hellspwan I want without the respwaning.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”