The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [Update] The Guncaster - 2.8

Post by DoomKrakken »

Morter wrote:Since Colourful Hell doesn't work with this yet, any monster mods you'd recommend? Preferrably one with extra loot on harder foes.
Shameless self-advertising for the freakin' win. :D
MazinGetterZ

Post by MazinGetterZ »

Hey all, I just started playing this mod and I've got a question about when it comes to the end of episode one in both doom and heretic.

See, when I complete the missions in those games, I get the standard little plot dump text and then it sticks me on the credit screen. I can't seem to do anything there except for access the main menu with escape. Is this intended? I would like to continue on further into the games with my upgraded health and mana intact, but I understand if that is simply not how the games function.

Thank you in advance for your time.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Yes, that's a side-effect of the episodic games. It can be worked around in a mod by changing the mapinfo for those maps. (Slight bit of potential to interfere with custom maps, but I think it'd be okay.)
MazinGetterZ

Post by MazinGetterZ »

NeuralStunner wrote:Yes, that's a side-effect of the episodic games. It can be worked around in a mod by changing the mapinfo for those maps. (Slight bit of potential to interfere with custom maps, but I think it'd be okay.)
Thanks for the reply. How do I do this workaround? I am very new to modding doom and my knowledge tends to top off at "put files in folder, drag combinations of files onto GZDoom"
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Edit: Your quest begins at [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki].

Or, when you hit the end of an episode, use changemap in the console. In Doom 1 or Heretic, this means "changemap e2m1" after completing episode 1, "changemap e3m1" after episode 2, etcetera. If you do see the intermission screens, be careful not to return to the titlescreen (hit use too many times, and only on certain end screens such as for episode 1 of Heretic iirc) or your game state will be lost. (Changing map from a credits screen is fine!)
MazinGetterZ

Post by MazinGetterZ »

Zhs2 wrote:Edit: Your quest begins at [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki].

Or, when you hit the end of an episode, use changemap in the console. In Doom 1 or Heretic, this means "changemap e2m1" after completing episode 1, "changemap e3m1" after episode 2, etcetera. If you do see the intermission screens, be careful not to return to the titlescreen (hit use too many times, and only on certain end screens such as for episode 1 of Heretic iirc) or your game state will be lost. (Changing map from a credits screen is fine!)
Thanks loads for this! I look forward to playing this mod even more from now on, then! It's freaking fun.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

I think it'd be a good thing to have included in the mod, but for the time being you could use another mod. There's SVDoom/SVHeretic, though the links are currently broken - I'll have ask Tiger about it, but for now I'll drop it in the broken links thread.

Edit: And thanks wolfman! Here's some links for those.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

NeuralStunner wrote:I think it'd be a good thing to have included in the mod, but for the time being you could use another mod. There's SVDoom/SVHeretic, though the links are currently broken - I'll have ask Tiger about it, but for now I'll drop it in the broken links thread.
Haven't tried SVDoom/Heretic but Retail-liation does the same maybe except with fog effects and E4 has an intermission map. Heretic has some broken secret exits in third episode and later though.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I could've made a patch for those... I wanted ones for Doom and Heretic. Glad to know I wasn't alone in thinking that. I hate using the console to jump.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

4thcharacter wrote:Heretic has some broken secret exits in third episode and later though.
Sounds like I need to get my rear in gear and work on my IWad patch again... Mind sending me more details on those broken exits?
DoomKrakken wrote:I hate using the console to jump.
I force them on via AutoExec, so I tend to not notice if a mod changes those options. :? I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to roll up a bare-bones, minimal changes version.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

It's on Retailiation's Heretic patch actually. The secret levels in episode 3 and beyond brings you to multiplayer levels instead of their respective secret levels.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

NeuralStunner wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote:I hate using the console to jump.
I force them on via AutoExec, so I tend to not notice if a mod changes those options. :? I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to roll up a bare-bones, minimal changes version.
AutoExec?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

It's a script which runs console commands when ZDoom starts. ([wiki=CCMDs#AutoExec]More Information[/wiki])
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Provisionally, the Guncaster doesn't usually require more than each map's worth of goodies to beat the game. (Hell, he's equipped well enough to deal with any situation already thanks to his limbs and subsequent movement options alone, but I digress.) Thus, I can't believe it was ever the author's intent to break the standards already set by the IWADs themselves when each individual episode is already designed to provide exactly what is needed (and, most often, then some) to win in the first place. Not that anyone should be disinclined from playing all the maps non-stop, it's just not the intended experience.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I totally understand that, but here's the thing...

I love to get everything in a playthrough. I like to purchase every ability, every Stratocaster, and every upgrade possible. Sure, each episode of Heretic is playable from scratch, but I cannot buy everything available in a single episode, and I absolutely hate having to start over each time I transition to a new episode.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”