DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Viscra Maelstrom

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.05] [MP-B6.2]

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

it might be hard finding the key if you don't know where it is, yeah. however, my point still stands that phase devices are tremendously useful in Equinox's final level. probably the best purpose i can think of the phase devices so far.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

scrubsucksatdoom wrote:its a good mod in all BUT, can you please make it a zip file because i really want to run this with doom rpg but the problem is that i cant when it isnt a zip because when it is a zip i can extract it into the folder and play it
ZDoom loads folders in the exactly the same way it loads compressed archives and WADs, and DoomRPG is in perpetual development on a Git repo. DoomRLA would actually run slower as a compressed archive due to the size of everything packed, and how little benefit compression would actually give it. So no, absolutely nothing needs to change at all, especially since nobody else has troubles running it already as is.
Last edited by edward850 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

by the by, any good assemblies the Scout, and Marine, to a lesser extent, can take advantage of with Sniper mods? Technician, Renegade and Demolitionist has lots of delicious uses for them, but i've found less uses of them for the Marine and Scout.
Kaeoschassis

Post by Kaeoschassis »

Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:by the by, any good assemblies the Scout, and Marine, to a lesser extent, can take advantage of with Sniper mods? Technician, Renegade and Demolitionist has lots of delicious uses for them, but i've found less uses of them for the Marine and Scout.
After a brief consultation of my home-made chart and a little thought... no, frankly, not assemblies. But both classes still have definite uses for S mods. The marine can stick an S mod (or two, if you're lucky) on a variety of different kit to huge advantage. I tend to think of Sniper packs as more of an 'add-on' to an advanced or basic assembly. Of course if you've already got something fairly accurate like a laser rifle then you might not even need it. As for the Scout, he rarely needs S mods on normal gear, but that's the Scout's whole deal, isn't it? He's already accurate as heck, can't expect him to have much use for the accuracy mods. It's still useful in some fringe cases in theory, I guess? But I've never actually tried, for example, sniper modded uzi, because it's usually easier to just switch to a more accurate pistol for long-shots.

I still pick up pretty much every S mod I come across as these classes though. Why? Uniques. A lot of uniques have AWESOME S mod effects and these two can definitely take advantage of them (although in this case the scout perhaps moreso). Heck, uniques are so good you sometimes don't even need to be the 'right' class to take advantage of them - I had a marine absolutely STOMP an entire mapset with an early S-modded Nuclear Onslaught, arguably the 'worst' way for the marine to use that weapon. Why? Because I didn't find any other exotic mods for ages, so I used what I had available.

In short, no, those two classes don't get the same mileage out of S mods that the other classes do, but they definitely still have plenty of places to put them.
Viscra Maelstrom

i've put some S-mods for the Scout on Storm pistols to make up for their somewhat crummy accuracy with him. i'd guess a S-modded Storm Combat Pistol would be about as accurate as a Storm Marksman Pistol, but with the advantage of higher damage, clip-size and fire-rate. otherwise, S-mods on shotguns can be useful as a back-up, because of Plasmatic assemblies i guess.
gunofdis

Post by gunofdis »

I can't really see using them on a Marine (other than the rare unique that's actually fun with one), simply because the battle rifle and laser rifle are so accurate as it is. There aren't a lot of S assemblies and and all of them are about gaining aoe, usually at the cost of speed.
Viscra Maelstrom

BFG10k says the Marine consumes one ammo per burst with it, but he actually consumes 5. though, the gun does shoot off 5 shots, so it's technically correct i guess.
also holy poo poo Particle Beam Cannon F-modded as a Marine.
Viscra Maelstrom

so since i've played Super Sonic Doom so much with this mod, and noticed all the things that don't work properly, i thought i'd try to remedy them with a patch as best i could. so here's the first draft of my DRLA Super Sonic Doom patch. you need to delets Sonic.wad's KEYCONF to make the mod work properly.

here's what i've changed for it so far:
red armors and armor monitors are replaced with the standard armor spawner and standard boots spawner.
all rocket launcher and pistol pick-ups will now give proper rocket launchers and pistols.
invisibility monitors spawn supply crates.
railguns are replaced with rare weapon spawns, to help even the difficulty curve near the end of the game.

some issues exist with this mod as of now though, that i'm not sure how to change:
extra life monitors will over-ride your armor's protection if it has armor capcity. simply dropping and equipping the armor again will fix this problem for now, though.
the boot spawners replacing the armor monitor will still give you the monitor pickup. likewise with supply crates. i'm not sure how to purge those specific items and keeping all the other monitors intact, or if i'd have to purge them all altogether and replacing them with Doom items, removing the Sonic flair from the mod.
rocket ammo is glitched. it's actually using phoenix rod ammo from Heretic replacing your rocket counter. what this means is that the Demolitionist is useless at the beginning unless you cheat for phoenix rod ammo, at which point he has a rocket launcher with infinite ammo, since the phoenix rod ammo never depletes itself when firing your weapon.
certain attacks override resistances. most notably, all kinds of traps that look like Doom projectiles don't have damage-types attached to them, so they'll do unavoidable damage.

regardless, this should probably provide a smoother experience playing the two mods together now.
DoomEin

Post by DoomEin »

Okay, I've lurked the hell out of this forum, and let me say this is hands-down the best mod for Doom I have ever played, and I love the monster pack when it's not handing my ass to me on a silver platter. I can't even fathom the amount of effort the devs have put into this mod (but I saw something about taking 75,000 lines of code just to add a seventh description page for one thing and it blows my mind), so thanks for the staggering amount of time and dedication put into this mod and the monster pack. Also, much thanks and awe to wildweasel for that awesome soundpack.

Fawning aside, I've noticed something of a weird thing happening in my latest Armageddon run. I am running Oblige 6.20 for random level generation, and I have a feeling that might have a hand in it. So, I've noticed that The Hungry, despite the droves of millions they always seem to spawn in, don't count as enemies in regards to the total enemies on the map in the automap screen (like the ZDoom Marines). I'm not sure if that's part of it, as well, but when every enemy on the map is dead (I've tested this with ZDoom's kill monsters console command), the automap doesn't register every enemy as being killed (and based on what I read about demonic artifacts, artifact guardians, and how every enemy must be dead for them to spawn based on random number generation). At this very moment, I'm on MAP11 and it says "Monsters: 801/811" after doing the kill monsters command. Are there some monsters introduced by the monster pack that don't register as monsters for ZDoom's console? I don't know if this classifies as a bug or anything, but I felt it was worth mentioning, because this started only after I included the monster pack, and I'm wondering if maybe I done screwed up something.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

How about some kind of Blue Suede Shoes as joke/easter egg boots? I can't think of how it would work, although the idea is here.
Viscra Maelstrom

Lost Souls and their replacements do not count towards the kill score. probably because they can get stuck in walls and the Hungries come in droves and killing them all to get 100% would be a massive pain in the ass.

also, the Conqueror Shotgun assembly is definitely somewhat bugged. i had the combination of mods to make it in a level, but if i tried to apply the mods in any way, other than BAPF, the assembly would not work. i could replicate it with pretty good accuracy, but then again i had all the mods in my hands due to being a Technician.

i definitely feel that the Nuclear Plasma Shotgun should be its own Exotic, though. there's little point in making it because it's far too weak and i feel it would make sense to have the Renegade have his own Nuclear weapon to do stuff with (other than a certain Nuclear Pistol assembly he's very good with.)
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

undead003 wrote:How about some kind of Blue Suede Shoes as joke/easter egg boots? I can't think of how it would work, although the idea is here.
If you could apply a PowerSpeed to the player's SideMove speed independently of their ForwardMove speed, that possibly?
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

we've got a demonic pistol, rifle, plasma variant, and bfg variant. Are we going to see a demonic shotgun and rocket launcher in the future?
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:so since i've played Super Sonic Doom so much with this mod, and noticed all the things that don't work properly, i thought i'd try to remedy them with a patch as best i could. so here's the first draft of my DRLA Super Sonic Doom patch. you need to delets Sonic.wad's KEYCONF to make the mod work properly.

regardless, this should probably provide a smoother experience playing the two mods together now.
Oh cool, thanks a bunch for this. SSD is still one of my favourite wads so being able to replay it with DRLA is fantastic.
Viscra Maelstrom

Doomguy914 wrote:we've got a demonic pistol, rifle, plasma variant, and bfg variant. Are we going to see a demonic shotgun and rocket launcher in the future?
Hell's Reign benefits from Renegade's bonus. there's gonna be a few more Demonic weapons though, i think.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”