Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomguy5th

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE November 3, 2014]

Post by Doomguy5th »

Hexereticdoom wrote:Hi there everyone! 8-)

Before anything, my congratulations to the author, Lippeth for making such a magnificent work with this really-splendid weapon mod! In fact, I discovered it relatively a few days ago, but WOW, I fell instantly in love with it at the first time I loaded it in GZDoom! Undoubtedly, I found in it a serious alternative to Brutal Doom, the actually available arsenal in this mod rocks hard! :o

However, I also encountered in it some minor issues and yeah, some possible improvements that I though they could be implemented in the WOS current version. So, if the original author gives me permission, I would like to bring all of you a customized & slightly improved version of the mod (edited with help of SLADE, Paint.net and Ocenaudio sound editor) in which I made the following changes:

- Added previously missing GL dynamic lights to some items and artifacts.
- Some fixings in the Chainsaw: added a starting sound when switching to it, fixed the wall-sawing sounds and added perforing-wall decals, and minor tweakings in the volume sounds. :chainsaw:
- Most weapons bobspeed increased by 1.5, and updated some weapon tags & obituaries.
- Some changes in the shotguns: the Riot Gun now reloads a bit more faster, and the Coach Gun will be automatically reloaded when there are not loaded shells! (Similar to BD behaviour).
- Swapped the primary and secondary fire for Coach Gun and for the BFG. (Might be a question of personal taste, but I prefer the more powerful attack under primary fire button like in Vanilla Doom!)
- Restored the Waffen Nazis and their MP40s. (I like them, and find them too well done to keep them in disuse!) :p
- Included a new secondary fire attack for the MP40. Now, each time you pull the trigger, a very fast 5-bullet burst will be shot, perfect for dispatching more quickly big hordes of enemies. (Or those huge, tougher and annoying foes!) :twisted:
- Some other minor changes I don't remember right now...

So, if you are interested in trying it, you can download it clicking the link right below:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0qxpf ... _HXRTC.PK3

And that's not all! I've also updated my BTSX HUD 2.x for being completely compatible with Weapons Of Saturn, so now you can also taste it for a somewhat improved gaming experience! Here I leave you a screenshot as a sample:

Wanna test it too? OK, then I leave you the relevant link for downloading it...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bio8c ... S_V2.5.PK3

Hope you enjoy it! Cheerio... :cheers:
Indeed the mod is a super good alternative to Brutal Doom. The first version of this was actually really good too. But I do wish to have the plasma gun's sprites like Complex Doom's.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

This+Smooth DOOM Monsters Only= AMAZING. At least to me.

I do have one minor nitpick; Could you make a toggle-able option to remove the fancy smoke effects from the weapons? If not, oh well. Worth asking.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

I actually made a smooth doom compatible version of this. I won't release it unless Lippeth doesn't mind, though.

In my version, I removed the tracers for consistency reasons, and the items are not smooth doom compatible, so no options for changing them. :|
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

As a fan of meta-mods myself, I don't mind if you post your own versions of this mod, I like to see different versions with different tweaks and improvements, not to mention to make it more compatible with other mods. One thing I ask is that anything WOS related stays contained in this thread, or if posted in a different thread at least provide a link to it from here. I don't know if I have the authority to even ask for that but it's my request nonetheless.

Hexereticdoom, I really like what you've done! While I don't really plan to implement any of your changes into the base mod, I'm glad you posted your version for others to enjoy. Most of your changes are based on taste, so I encourage you to keep refining it to suit your play style because I'm sure there are people who prefer your changes.
Devianteist wrote:This+Smooth DOOM Monsters Only= AMAZING. At least to me.

I do have one minor nitpick; Could you make a toggle-able option to remove the fancy smoke effects from the weapons? If not, oh well. Worth asking.
I don't know how to do that at all. The only thing I can do is remove the smoke permanently, but I really like it there, though it does look odd in ZDoom compared to GZDoom, so I can make a version for each if you'd like, one with smoke and one without.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:I don't know how to do that at all. The only thing I can do is remove the smoke permanently, but I really like it there, though it does look odd in ZDoom compared to GZDoom, so I can make a version for each if you'd like, one with smoke and one without.
User CVAR's can do it for you.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Lippeth wrote:
Devianteist wrote: I do have one minor nitpick; Could you make a toggle-able option to remove the fancy smoke effects from the weapons? If not, oh well. Worth asking.
I don't know how to do that at all. The only thing I can do is remove the smoke permanently, but I really like it there, though it does look odd in ZDoom compared to GZDoom, so I can make a version for each if you'd like, one with smoke and one without.
I primarily have been using G/ZDoom since Blackfish directed me to the 1.9 SVNs, so I wouldn't know what it looks like in ZDoom. I wouldn't like to see the smoke effects entirely removed; they're part of the quality that makes this mod so good. It's simply that my computers are garbage and they make it lag horribly when I'm fighting a lot of enemies so being able to toggle them on/off for small or large fights would be nice.

Ed the Bat mentioned CVARs, so that's a thing.
Carbine Dioxide wrote:I actually made a smooth doom compatible version of this. I won't release it unless Lippeth doesn't mind, though.

In my version, I removed the tracers for consistency reasons, and the items are not smooth doom compatible, so no options for changing them. :|
You sir, inspire me. xD As well as Lippeth and Ed up there.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Here it is. You need smooth Doom to make this work. I also should add that you either have to open up Smooth Doom via SLADE or whatever you use, and remove the KEYCONF.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ovdc ... othWOS.pk3
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hexereticdoom wrote:Hi there everyone! 8-)

However, I also encountered in it some minor issues and yeah, some possible improvements that I though they could be implemented in the WOS current version. So, if the original author gives me permission, I would like to bring all of you a customized & slightly improved version of the mod (edited with help of SLADE, Paint.net and Ocenaudio sound editor) in which I made the following changes:
Hope you enjoy it! Cheerio... :cheers:
I haven't been able to reproduce this, but I got a crash while alt-firing the coach gun at a shotgun zombie on Doom 2 map 2, at the corner before the area with the red key. I'm not sure what happened, but I got an instant CTD on the second shot, possibly the reload, and I haven't been able to get it to happen again. All I had on was your version and the WOS Hud.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Hi there again! Time to multi-quoting... :3:
Lippeth wrote:As a fan of meta-mods myself, I don't mind if you post your own versions of this mod, I like to see different versions with different tweaks and improvements, not to mention to make it more compatible with other mods. One thing I ask is that anything WOS related stays contained in this thread, or if posted in a different thread at least provide a link to it from here. I don't know if I have the authority to even ask for that but it's my request nonetheless.

Hexereticdoom, I really like what you've done! While I don't really plan to implement any of your changes into the base mod, I'm glad you posted your version for others to enjoy. Most of your changes are based on taste, so I encourage you to keep refining it to suit your play style because I'm sure there are people who prefer your changes.
Thanks a lot for your words Lippeth! Glad you like my custom version and yes, I hope can keep making future updatings and share it to everybody, of course. On the other hand, as you first say, not a problem for my part, I'll just keep using this same thread for those possible next updates! :wink:

Please keep doing the nice work! :thumb:
Carbine Dioxide wrote:Here it is. You need smooth Doom to make this work. I also should add that you either have to open up Smooth Doom via SLADE or whatever you use, and remove the KEYCONF.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ovdc ... othWOS.pk3
Whoa, Smooth Doom combined with WOS, that seems very, very promising! Thank you for the file! :D
-Ghost- wrote:I haven't been able to reproduce this, but I got a crash while alt-firing the coach gun at a shotgun zombie on Doom 2 map 2, at the corner before the area with the red key. I'm not sure what happened, but I got an instant CTD on the second shot, possibly the reload, and I haven't been able to get it to happen again. All I had on was your version and the WOS Hud.
Hmmm, really? How strange... :?

Sorry, but I wouldn't be able to tell you precisely what could have triggered that crash. It seems to be a very random fail, perhaps a rare memory leak, it also could be provoked by the graphic card or by the same (G)ZDoom engine... I don't know. Sometimes this things happen, unfortunately. :|

The only thing I can suggest you is trying with another version of (G)ZDoom. If you are using a Dev version, try downloading a different version number or use the most stable final release (or vice versa), sometimes that might fix some stability problems.

Well... Greetings, everyone! 8-)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, I have no idea what caused it, sorry I can't give more info. Just wanted to let you know in case it's something you need to look into.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Well, I seem to have mostly gotten better at compensating for my lag issues with this mod's fancy weapon effects. I still can't seem to grasp just how much time you've spent working on this. It's just so awesome.

But I do have on question; Do you think you can make a Vanilla compatible version of your HUD? It's the closest thing I've found to the DOOM 3 HUD, and it feels a lot better to use than said HUD. Sorry if I sound like an annoying little git. I just love asking questions. xD

EDIT: Reason I ask is because there is an error where it won't display what keys you are holding in vanilla. Actually, if IIRC, it does that in WOS too. I need to check. Scratch that, it does work. Just not in vanilla.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what caused it, sorry I can't give more info. Just wanted to let you know in case it's something you need to look into.
You know something? You were completely right... :blergh:

After checking & testing deeper, I discovered that my customized version of WOS had an incorrect code line in Coach Gun lump that was provoking a fatal crash in (G)Zdoom. To be precise, it occurred when the player tried to make a double-barrel shot when there was only one loaded shell in the weapon. Now I'm completely sure that your in-game crash was not a problem with graphic card or with (G)Zdoom. Sorry for that... :oops:

I've just uploaded an updated (and fixed) version of the custom WOS. The Coach Gun now works as expected, no fatal crashes anymore, and I've also made a few tweaks in ammo capacity:

- Bullets max ammo increased from 50 to 60 (120 with backpack).
- Rifle max ammo increased from 200 to 300 (600 with backpack).
- Rotary Cannon max ammo decreased from 600 to 480 (but increased to 960 with backpack, instead of 800).

Please download the updated version clicking here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7jdxq ... XRTCu1.PK3
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for fixing it. No problem, it was such a weirdly specific crash I wanted to report it before I forgot, just in case.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

New update in my WOS customized version.

I've been testing it deeply, and hope it has no errors. If you encounter any bugs, please report it and I'll try to fix'em ASAP! :!:

This one includes the following changes:

- Cleaned and optimized many code lumps, and eliminated some unused data.
- Added some more GL dynamic lights, like the player's shooting flashes and toxic barrels glowing effect.
- Now every weapon switch (lower/raise) faster than before! :ninja:
- Some changes in tags and obituaries. (E.g: your starting weapon is referenced to 'Beretta' instead of 'Pistol', BFG is called now 'BFG-X', changed some of the ammo pick-up messages, etc.)
- From now, the zombies can also drop Berettas (rarely, among other droppings) and also there is a small probability you encounter a MP40 instead of green ammo boxes. (This is useful for playing megawads where there are not nazis included, or they are replaced by other enemies/elements. This way, you still have a little chance to get this rare weapon).
- The toxic barrels now are pushable. This will allow you to prepare some clever ambushes to your rivals! :twisted:
- Health bonuses and armor bonuses will keep increasing your health/armor even when they have reached 200%.
- More tweakings in ammo capacity:
+++ Bullets max ammo increased from 60 to 90 (180 with backpack);
+++ Shells max ammo increased from 50 to 100 (200 with backpack);
+++ Rockets max ammo increased from 50 to 60 (120 with backpack);
+++ Cell max ammo increased from 300 to 400 (800 with backpack).
- Additional tweakings in some weapons:
+++ Pulse Rifle's ammunition clip decreased from 60 to 50.
+++ BFG-X's ammunition clip increased from 160 to 200.
+++ MP40's ammunition clip increased from 31 to 32.
- Some other minor changes.

DOWNLOAD WOS-HXRTC Update 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5iy4f ... RTC-U2.PK3

(!) EDIT: Fixed some last-minute errors! If you downloaded the file before, please re-download it again.

List of error-fixings:

- Coach Gun auto-reload feature removed for now. (I've noted it was causing some issues with infinite ammo reloads, so I'm removing it temporally until I find some way to fix those issues. Sorry!)
- Fixed a weird graphic problem with Beretta's spawn sprite.

As usual, hope you enjoy it... Doom-bye! 8-)
SladeEXE

Post by SladeEXE »

I've noticed something odd about the minigun. It plays the firing sound three times, takes four out of the ammo, and fires five projectiles. Odd, am I right?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”