Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NantoCodd

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE August 04, 2014]

Post by NantoCodd »

I read few pages ago that handguns more accurate when fired manually. But what I always see they are inaccurate whether fired manually or automatically. E1M1 on Ultra-Violence becomes hard because I can't kill the Sergeants effectively.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

e-yeah, i just thought pistol should have a aiming action rather than melee attack, though.

anyway i just beat the E1M1 with ultra-violence, i had no troubles at all. when the game gets hard, get used to it. if you still can't beat the first level, here's the lil' tip;

this mod's shotgun guy's shot damage has been increased, i think. it deals more damage when i got shot, but still it acts like a vanilla one. so just keep shoot 'em and strafe if they started to aim. like i said, their damages has been increased. so don't stay close to them and keep the distance and shoot 'em til they're dead or you'll be shotgun'd to death...and if you still can't beat the first level, try to decrease the difficulty bit. i have no idea if my tips didn't worked.

anyway i hope the shotgun can be canceled by clicking once, not to hold it. it's pretty dangerous when i need to against with horde of pinkies or zombies.
shadowAOD

Post by shadowAOD »

cool but I seem to hit a problem with the HUD and the weapons

the weapons work but the problem is that I can't reload them and I can't seem to switch between them
as for the HUD, I seem to be getting the standard doom HUD when I try to run it

any solutions?
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE August 12, 2014]

Post by Lippeth »

You'll need to bind 'weapon reload' to a key in the customize control section in the options menu. You might need to mess around in the HUD options menu or hit = or - on your keyboard to get the HUD to work, I can't really help with that. I also don't know why you wouldn't be able to switch between weapons unless you need to bind more things to keys.

As for shotgun damage, no enemy damage or any other behavior has been altered or increased in any way. The only thing I've changed is the sound effects which makes them sound a bit more powerful.

I've also re-balanced most of the weapons, see updates on front page for specific changes. I hope I didn't mess anything up! I can always change things back but I thought this was a fun update.
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

So I'm quite fond of this mod. Played through BTSX, Hellbound, and Remain with it. A few suggestions, all sound related: separate the shotgun shell pick up sound from the insert shell sound, so you can have a 'beefier' pickup FX for ammo. Add sound for picking up bonus items (automap, light amp goggles, health bonus)

Other than that, honestly, I can't think of anything else I'd want added. It's pretty fabulous.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

I have only one small problem with WOS. It's the autofire for the SSG. I waste ammo to often because i hold the fire trigger too long. :(
Lippeth

Re: Weapons of Saturn [UPDATE August 25, 2014]

Post by Lippeth »

Minor update just to remove KEYCONF due to deprecation. I'll surely add in a few minor pickup sound effects with the next update. But I rather like the SSG to autofire because I find it to be a tad clumsy clicking it for every shot. I'll give it a ponder.

Also added a start up title to finally solve the mystery about what you've just booted up.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:Minor update just to remove KEYCONF due to deprecation.
:mrgreen:
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Suggestion, perhaps as an addon rather than a complete change: slowing down the minigun but making it slightly more powerful, which would keep the combat rifle relevant? Just feels like after you get the minigun there's no real reason to use the rifle at the moment. Just my two cents. I do love the hell out of this mod though.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

On the subject of the rotary cannon, I notice that there's no wind-up after pulling the trigger immediately following a reload. Is this intentional?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Echelon5 wrote:Just feels like after you get the minigun there's no real reason to use the rifle at the moment.
The reason I updated the rifle to be more powerful than it was and changed slots in the first place is because I was struggling to keep its relevance in the balance of all the weapons, but I really like it and feel that it's somewhat of a staple of this mod. Its intended function is to clear out small hordes to save minigun ammo for more threatening monsters or bigger mobs, as well as laser-sighting and sniping those off in the distance. The laser sight is also useful for triggering shoot-only switches as to not waste ammo. It's also a good backup for when you run out of minigun ammo.

I feel that the minigun's damage is balanced perfectly in conjunction to the plasma rifle, and its secondary function already does more damage, uses more ammo, and takes longer to wind up. So to change the primary fire's speed and damage would force me to shift the balance of both its secondary attack and the plasma rifle. I'm not completely against the idea but it would cause a minor ripple effect with overall balance.
Ed the Bat wrote:On the subject of the rotary cannon, I notice that there's no wind-up after pulling the trigger immediately following a reload. Is this intentional?
Not at all intentional, I've tried to fix it but I can't exactly pinpoint why it does that. If you voluntarily press reload and then fire it winds up as intended, but if it runs dry which triggers a reload, the issue emerges. My guess is that it's somewhere in the messy hold state. My other guess is that you know how to fix it because you are a Zdoom wizard. With all that said, I do like that if you let it run empty and it reloads, then immediately press and hold the secondary fire, you can take advantage of plasma-charged rounds without the long windup.
Ed the Bat wrote:
Lippeth wrote:Minor update just to remove KEYCONF due to deprecation.
:mrgreen:
I've seen you mention this to several people so I took it upon myself to fix it before you came after me as well!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:My other guess is that you know how to fix it because you are a Zdoom wizard.
Aww shucks, you're gonna make me blush! :wub:
But if you want to force it to wind up every time, you can put A_ClearReFire in its winddown animation (and perhaps in its Deselect state as well, in case you run the ammo dry to the point that the player puts the gun down).
Lippeth wrote:I've seen you mention this to several people so I took it upon myself to fix it before you came after me as well!
And don't think for a second that I don't appreciate it! As a gameplay modder, compatibility between different projects is vital to me, and it just kills me when people use methods that I can't patch over.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Lippeth wrote:Not at all intentional, I've tried to fix it but I can't exactly pinpoint why it does that. If you voluntarily press reload and then fire it winds up as intended, but if it runs dry which triggers a reload, the issue emerges. My guess is that it's somewhere in the messy hold state. My other guess is that you know how to fix it because you are a Zdoom wizard. With all that said, I do like that if you let it run empty and it reloads, then immediately press and hold the secondary fire, you can take advantage of plasma-charged rounds without the long windup.
Try putting A_ClearRefire(?) in the Reload state.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

That won't cover the rare instance of dying while firing, then using the Resurrect cheat.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for the help, guys!

Adding A_ClearReFire to the reload state seems to be the only way it will work, because if you're still holding the fire button as it hits the reload state, you skip over the wind down animation and go straight to reloading. Also, Adding it to the Deselect state makes it resurrect friendly.

While doing all this I have also never noticed the barrels' abrupt stop before reloading, so I need to add an entire wind down state it can jump to when out of ammo just before the reload. It might make the most sense to put A_ClearReFire in that state. I'll have all this sorted in the next update.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”