HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.2 C

Post by ArgonianLord »

Bug fix 1.2 C released today.

Fixed bugs and glitches from map01 to map05. Most of said issues were texture related, and one in map04 which prevented progress completely. Said bug could be found near the Castle key locked door, where another stone door was supposed to have the Steel key to open it with, but alas I forgot to add that special. Fear not though as this issue is 100% fixed now.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Thank you for an entertaining afternoon, I had lots of fun blasting through this rare gem. :)
I really liked most of the level aesthetics, it very much resembled the mapping style of the original hexen maps (so i thought, at least), aside from a few hiccups it was fun to play. Some of the artifact / switch hunting felt very redundant, like the fire mask.

Here's a few notes I recorded while playing:
Spoiler:
All in all, it's always nice to see some big hexen projects :)
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.3 D

Post by ArgonianLord »

EDIT: 2014-07-11 00:17 Fixed some issues in map07 (Still have a few others to fix however) and a really game breaking issue in map09 The Temple of Water (It involved you not being able to go to Traductus after raising the water level and entering the portal. Then the portal right infront of you would be a dud as I forgot to give it the correct tag back when I first released the Special Editio)
Last edited by ArgonianLord on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Dancso wrote:Thank you for an entertaining afternoon, I had lots of fun blasting through this rare gem. :)
I really liked most of the level aesthetics, it very much resembled the mapping style of the original hexen maps (so i thought, at least), aside from a few hiccups it was fun to play. Some of the artifact / switch hunting felt very redundant, like the fire mask.

Here's a few notes I recorded while playing:
Spoiler:
All in all, it's always nice to see some big hexen projects :)
Thank you Dansco for the positive feedback.

Though that's odd, the cog gear in that room behind the Heresiarch should be obtainable. Whenever I test it it works fine. Are you sure you used the cog gear from one of the other levels on the clock-panel-thingy right next to the door hiding the cog gear? If simply pressing use doesn't work, then you'll have to go to the inventory and then press the use item key on the cog gear.

Hope that clears things up :)

EDIT:

Ah I believe I know why you weren't able to get to that cog gear now. You didn't get to visit map13 Twilight Cathedral am I right? If yes, then the reason why you weren't able to lower the door to that level is because of a small bug I just fixed, no idea why I didn't properly test this at first, so sorry everyone for having at least two game breaking bugs in this release, I promise I'll more properly test my crap next time.
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.4 E

Post by ArgonianLord »

EDIT: 2014-07-11 02:18 Fixed yet another game breaking issue related to the entrance to Map13 Twilight Cathedral not opening in Map11. I also fixed some door frames with missing textures in some levels. If more bugs pop up I will fix them
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.5 F

Post by ArgonianLord »

EDIT: 2014-07-11 22:32 Fixed some issues in map10. Issues at hand were the missing textures on the pillars in front of the doors in the starting room, in addition to changing the textures in the other cavern to the HeXen 2 Portal of Praevus rock textures, to make it match up way more with the rest of the level. I also removed the Mage and Cleric tag for the Quietus segment, so now that won't pop up for the other classes. I also decided to finally add in a redo of a certain voice acted line, which I previously found to sound way too unserious and as if I hadn't put any effort into it.
ravage

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.7 H

Post by ravage »

This is what I'm greeted to on 'Drathi Marshes'

running zdoom 2.8pre-472-g261bc77
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

ravage wrote:This is what I'm greeted to on 'Drathi Marshes'

running zdoom 2.8pre-472-g261bc77

That's an issue with ZDoom and can not be bypassed as far as my knowledge goes. I'd jump over to GZDoom for this WAD to avoid issues like that.

And what freaking mod are those rune-mana-grenade like things from? Looks really damn interesting.
ravage

Post by ravage »

ArgonianLord wrote: That's an issue with ZDoom and can not be bypassed as far as my knowledge goes. I'd jump over to GZDoom for this WAD to avoid issues like that.

And what freaking mod are those rune-mana-grenade like things from? Looks really damn interesting.
Yeah Zdoom does not like your abuse of fog sectors at all.

The weapon is from a mod I'm working on.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I've made a patch that allows this mod to be played with the Serpent RPG mod. (latest version of the mod required, as I made changes specifically to make this possible)

Main changes are the custom monster's health pools have been upped to Serpent levels and the new weapon is now in slot 8.

Works pretty well too, and gets quite tough later on. Even reached level 20 due to the high number of bosses/minibosses. (some of which can be a pain if unprepared)

Edit: see post below for new version link.
Last edited by The Ultimate DooMer on Fri May 01, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:I've made a patch that allows this mod to be played with the Serpent RPG mod
What should the .bat for it look like?
The Ultimate DooMer

Just load the patch at the end of it.
The Ultimate DooMer

New version released, to go with the new version of the RPG mod.
Also fixes the chaos wyvern's flame breath, so it doesn't freeze you to the spot all the time.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/nyu3yc
Drake Raider

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.9 J

Post by Drake Raider »

So, I think I borked a script on MAP10, not sure. I've been playing on it, and I'm beyond thoroughly certain that I found all the switches, but the ice barrier in the entrance Just... Won't... Lower. I wanna say I have memories of it lowering correctly at one point, but I died before I could continue the map. I've completely explored the left and right rooms, and all the houses and caves thereof, but none of the switches are doing anything anymore. I'm gonna go back and see if I missed something once more, but I was wondering if there was any help to be had. It's a shame, Tuklu really was my favorite hub in HeXen 2.

EDIT: Nvm, found the switch. I was being blind...
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.9 J

Post by ArgonianLord »

Way to resurrect the thread, but I merely wanted to make everyone aware of an upcoming hotfix for TOC.

In map 13, The Twilight Cathedral, there is currently a bug that starts you off in behind a door you're not supposed to reach immediately when you start the level. I am currently downloading the latest build of TOC to fix this, and it should be fixed in the coming minutes, thank you for your patience if you were suffering from this bug :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”