HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos.WAD

Post by Ed the Bat »

It looks pretty, but instant-death jumping sequences are not fun for me. I also just now got to a 'puzzle' with three switches, and guessing wrong brings a crusher ceiling down to punish an incorrect guess. I find that highly unfair.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Ed the Bat wrote:It looks pretty, but instant-death jumping sequences are not fun for me. I also just now got to a 'puzzle' with three switches, and guessing wrong brings a crusher ceiling down to punish an incorrect guess. I find that highly unfair.

Well that's ok Ed. Not every WAD is for everyone after all
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Just fixed the HOM effects in map04 that I could find.

The book with the missing script in MAP14 now has a text script attached to it.

Fixed a chandelier that only appeared for the fighter in MAP01. It'll now appear for all the classes.

EDIT: Download links have been updated
Last edited by ArgonianLord on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Caleb13 wrote:Good to see a nice Hexen mod after a while. There is one thing which really irked me when I played it - it frequently delves into a switch hunt. That is not a problem by itself (switch hunts were a big part of original Hexen, after all), but many times, the switches seem to be linked to doors randomly. So after flipping a switch, the player has to check doors at opposite part of the map, with no apparent logic in it. As a quick fix, I suggest you add text messages to important switches, like "door to the workshop opened" or "bridge over chasm raised" or "one third of puzzle solved" etc. And there are a few (minor) problems I noticed while playing it in Zdoom 2.6.999 r4251:

-First 6 maps (or so) are disproportionately easy compared to what comes later on.

-During the Korax fight, he spawns centaurs, which are able to teleport around the arena like Korax can. But they occassionaly telefrag Korax, thus ending the fight very quickly.

-Korax telefrags the player far too often to my tastes. The only defence is to keep close to the walls.

-In maps 11 to 14, there are monsters stuck inside walls, especially those archers. Check that out.

-In map 14, there is missing script for book inside the workshop (sector 1050).

-Map04 HOMs and bleeding-out textures: linedefs 4093 (this one is really nasty), 3614, 3700, 3669, 3612, 4154, 3656, 4112, 4818.

-Map07: if you fall into triangular part of sector 291 (under south wall of the pyramid), you're unable to jump out.

-I can't use those "mystic incants" with cleric in the first map - nothing happens when I hit the "use" key. They started to work fine after I entered the second map. The weird thing is, they work just fine when I try them with fighter and mage.
Well I have no idea why the Incants didn't work for you.

And I think I have fixed all the HOM's in MAP04. If I have not, then do let me know. I'll have to see this issue with sector 291 for myself later then. I haven't seen it yet really.

And thanks for letting me know about the enemies that are stuck in the walls. I'll fix those later.

And last but not least, thanks for the feedback :)
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

ArgonianLord wrote:Well I have no idea why the Incants didn't work for you.
They work fine. For a cleric, they give a random amount of health, but they won't be used if you have full health like with the quartz flasks.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Well DERP! I just noticed even more HOMs in map04 and map05. I have now fixed those.

I have ALSO fixed a certain sector bleeding in map03.

This time I have tested map04 TWICE. So it should be HOM free now. And so should map05

For future reference I'll make sure to test all my maps twice or thrice to check for HOMs.

Once again, sorry for screwing up on a fix >.>

Download links will be updated shortly.

I would also like to make a shoutout that I'm feeling very at home here on the Zdoom forums.

Oblivion Nexus (As well as the other Nexus sites) sure aren't as good as these forums are!
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

Just finished an entire playthrough of this WAD. I loved the maps but some of the monsters like the Vampire can be improved a bit. I can modify the Vampire a bit so it's more like the one in Wrath of Cronos (aka flying and shooting both horizontally and vertically) if you would like.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Thetis wrote:Just finished an entire playthrough of this WAD. I loved the maps but some of the monsters like the Vampire can be improved a bit. I can modify the Vampire a bit so it's more like the one in Wrath of Cronos (aka flying and shooting both horizontally and vertically) if you would like.

Oh that would be nice Thetis.

And thanks for the positive feedback by the way :)
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Download links have now been updated.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I feel I should mention, as I didn't really express this strongly enough before: the architecture in these maps is very impressive. I'm particularly fond of the organic layouts of cavern and canyon walls, for instance. And what I said regarding lava traps and prank switches, that's really just my view of things; like you said, not everything is for everyone. Just felt I could leave some input; not to say my view is the one 'correct' answer to anything.

Though, objectively speaking, I would like to urge consideration on the end-yield to putting in booby-trapped switches, using the 'choose your fate' guessing game as an example: guessing isn't really a test of skill, but if a player was unprepared and guessed wrong, he would be punished with death and a potential restart of the map, which is frustrating. On the other hand, if he prepared ahead of time and saved the game, he could guess wrong all he wanted, until he got it right, meaning he's guaranteed to progress, given enough time, and thus the puzzle really didn't add any richness or real impediment to the adventure -- seems like it could've been skipped altogether for basically the same end result. No one really 'profits' from it.
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

IMO, the guessing puzzles should have some sort of cryptic hint beforehand to show which one is correct and instead of insta killing the player, it should spawn some monsters for the player to fight.
albiongeck

Post by albiongeck »

It is a bit pointless to instakill if the player didn't learn anything. Having to reload is only amusing if the player can see their error and think "Oh! That was a silly thing to do..."
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

I personally think that spawning monsters for an incorrect guess is worse than an instant death, especially if it leaves you too weak to fend off another wave. I do believe an instant-kill guessing puzzle with some form of hint would be a hundred times better.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Just some things I spotted during my second play-through:

-Map02: not exactly a bug, but superweapon pieces for mage and cleric are hidden behind those small pillars. I missed it when I re-played the mod with cleric and had to backtrack. Please consider moving them to the center of that path.

-Map08: Bloodscourge piece 3 is present for all classes.

-Map10: HOM at linedef 1309.

-Map12: Stuck monsters 13, 14, 203, 204.

-Map12: During Heresiarch fight, the player can leave the arena/cathedral and go wherever he wants.

-Map13: HOMs near linedefs 1176 and 1177.

-Map14: HOM at linedef 1515.

-Map14: after you defeat that super-maulotaur guarding Yorick's skull, the ettin "audience" starts to teleport into the arena. But most of them just telefrag each other, thus sparing the player the heroic fight with them.

-Map21: Stuck monster 78.

-At one point during the Korax fight, I got "unknown script 249" message, but the game progressed normally. Probably just some leftovers.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Caleb13 wrote:Just some things I spotted during my second play-through:

-Map02: not exactly a bug, but superweapon pieces for mage and cleric are hidden behind those small pillars. I missed it when I re-played the mod with cleric and had to backtrack. Please consider moving them to the center of that path.

-Map08: Bloodscourge piece 3 is present for all classes.

-Map10: HOM at linedef 1309.

-Map12: Stuck monsters 13, 14, 203, 204.

-Map12: During Heresiarch fight, the player can leave the arena/cathedral and go wherever he wants.

-Map13: HOMs near linedefs 1176 and 1177.

-Map14: HOM at linedef 1515.

-Map14: after you defeat that super-maulotaur guarding Yorick's skull, the ettin "audience" starts to teleport into the arena. But most of them just telefrag each other, thus sparing the player the heroic fight with them.

-Map21: Stuck monster 78.

-At one point during the Korax fight, I got "unknown script 249" message, but the game progressed normally. Probably just some leftovers.
The "unknown script 249" is one of the scripts Korax activates.

I didn't wanna add any other summons for him besides the Rievers, Chaos serpents, Slaughtaurs and Afrit. Because that would just make the arena cluttered with enemies.

Also the telefragging ettins was intentional actually xD Why? Well simply because the ettins are in such a rage after you won that they don't pay attention to the fact that they might just telefrag each other.

And I'll make sure to look those issues up. Thanks Caleb13 :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”