HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Crudux Cruo

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos.WAD

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I love you.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

The drathi marsh and canyon have lots of homs and broken sectors.
The hub from drathi marsh to drathi canyon have different door textures when exiting and entering the hub, You need to fix that because it looks like your not in the same building that you were entering.
Thetis

Post by Thetis »

I almost forgot to give this to you Argonian.
Attachments
VampireToC.pk3
Vampire now flies and dashes like bishop and can aim up and down
(1.96 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

Thanks to Thetis here TOC now has vampires that can shoot vertically as well as horizontally. And can also fly around.

I've also made MAP05 a little bit less tedious. What I did was that I put a "Chasm over bridge has been built" to indicate WHEN the bridges of that chasm raise. I've also added a a text to the switch that lowers that one elevator with the rocks on it in the small starting area canyon. Which basically says "Elevator has been lowered in the canyon".

I also fixed the issue where it looks as though you are in a different building whenever you go through the entrance which leads to MAP05.

While I was at it I fixed a broken slope too. As well as a HOM I could spot.

I haven't really looked up all those HOMs that Caleb mentioned yet. I'll get to those when I do find them.

And now, I will update the name of this post whenever I upload a new fixed version of TOC.

So now, I will name this post "HeXen: Tower of Chaos. WAD Version 1.1a
NovaDragon

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos.WAD Version 1.1A

Post by NovaDragon »

Hey there folks! Finished playing this the other day and must admit it is probably one of my favorite if not my top favorite Hexen wad to date.
Being as how I always play as a fighter, figured I would post my thoughts.

In regards to the instant kill lava factor, it never really bothered me at all with one exception which I will cover in a bit.
Most of the new enemies I enjoyed and I knew most of them from the bestiary. The Yakotaur surprised me but wasn't difficult to deal with.
The chaos Wyvern.......ugh. It wouldn't be too bad except when you encounter them, your likely to get killed because of the environment and some were
worse than others. The first one you encounter will probably kill you....several times. The only way you can deal with it is to run past it and hope you don't get
stuck on a tree. IN fact I only killed it by getting it to infight and taking advantage of that. I would say move him maybe further back to deal damage before he
arrives or remove a few trees. Seems luck based otherwise. Another one that poised issues was the one near the end of the bloodmines. Curiosity killed me since
I peaked in the cave area then suddenly half my health was gone. With that one, you can at least lead him down the hallways and kill him so once you know hes there,
its not too bad. The 2 in the second to last level poised problems because to run from them you had to cross lava. Not good when you have to jump and they are quick
as hell but managed to get through them so its not too bad. The apprentice was the hardest fight in the game. I had to use a leftover rook to kill him but considering
his position in Korax's army, I guess it makes sense.

The final boss in my opinion needs to be reworked in some way. I understand that the telefragging is intentional to make it more difficult but for me it made the fight
trivial. Korax lasted a while but the slaughterers and afrits eventually telefragged him. When the Infernodemon came into play, it died 6 seconds later and I never even
saw him. I would say make only Korax teleport around and let the normal mobs just walk around. Otherwise you run the risk of the final boss fights running short and
leaving no challenge. That was a major part of why the apprentice was harder.

As for the levels themselves, some of the switch hunts were tedious, especially when looking for the 3 artifacts but weren't too bad otherwise. The level in which Yoriks
skull is used, I dunno if I missed something but I was able to get the cogwheel and skip about half of the level. Not sure if the rest is for goodies or not but I definitely
missed something. Those things aside, I had a blast with this and is probably the best Hexen wad to date for me. Thank you very much and congratz on this Hexen masterpiece!
Hope to see more from you in the future =]!
Priamo

Post by Priamo »

Hi! I'm playing this awesome mod. Is there a walktrough of this mod? I'm stuck in Map 04, in the village where the bell and a closed big door I don´t know how to open it. I have missing the axe and swamp keys. I have hours wandering around the maps with no idea what to do :P
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

I'm curious as to whether Wrath of Cronus is compatible with this. That's the only way I really wanna play HeXen now. x3
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Patriot1776 wrote:I'm curious as to whether Wrath of Cronus is compatible with this. That's the only way I really wanna play HeXen now. x3
It is, however the custom enemies included do not give any experience towards leveling up. They still count towards the 100% kill bonus though. Also, using WoC makes the fights against the Maulotaur, Avatar and Korax's second form incredibly easy (killable with just a couple attacks), and you get your 4th weapon at the exit of the second level, finally you cannot use the Serpent Cult Staff. It is however still a very fun experience using WoC.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

How numerous are the custom enemies? I've been looking at length through the WoC code trying to find a means to get Heretic enemies to drop empty flasks more often, and getting DooM enemies to drop reagents more often, and from what I've been able to see from the WoC enemy coding, I may be able to copy/paste the DECORATE code for the custom enemies in ToC into a patch file with revisions to boost health at higher skill settings upon spawning, and call the XP rewarding script upon death. There is only two lines I think needed to be added in total, to the code for the custom enemies, one line each to Spawn and Death/XDeath states to call the appropriate scripts, to do that.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Acolytes, Vampires (not the WoC ones, the ones on the map), Maulotaurs, those ice Maulotaurs, the Dragon/wyverns, Avatar, second Korax, Knight Archers, the arena Maulotaur. Those are all the custom enemies I can recall, they're not that numerous, or at least not enough to make a lasting impact on WoC leveling, I mean, you won't get "stunted" compared to playing a map consisting of solely custom enemies for example. I think that's what the WoC patches do, alas I can provide no insight regarding such workings seeing as I have absolutely no experience with coding.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Okay, that's good, not enough of them to warrant patching them to give experience. Alright then. ^^

BTW, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I'm sorry to report I found YET ANOTHER texture misalignment, this time on the first level, 'Old Griffin Archives':

I can sympathize with how frustrating this is. I've tried doing some level making on my own, and quite a bit of editing of existing levels and texture alignment is one of those things that just drive me nuts with how tedius it is. Then again, I'm not that knowledgeable of all the tips & tricks to doing things fast in DB2.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

You should make a let's play of this wad on youtube.
ArgonianLord

Post by ArgonianLord »

@Patriot1776. I think Thetis himself made this WoC compatible. Though I have no idea if he ever released the ToC compatible version of WoC. And thanks a lot for letting me know of that texture misalignment. I'll make sure to fix it right away.

@Seidolon. Hmm yeah why not, I was thinking of making a video walkthrough of the wad, in case people get stuck (Which they most likely will).

@NovaDragon. Thanks a lot for the immense positive feedback! Also about that Yoricks statue thing, I have to block it off more properly, so you won't be able to sequence break the whole level. Will do so right away. As for other stuff by me... well you might see some soon, as I'm finishing up my Heretic wad now. It'll be released soon enough.

I would also like to apologize for not responding to any messages on here for a VERY long time. School and other crap has been keeping me busy as hell.

EDIT: Updated the download links to the latest version of TOC. Latest version has fixed the sequence break possibility in map13 and fixing the texture misalignment in map01
wolfie3dfan

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos.WAD Version 1.3A

Post by wolfie3dfan »

AWESOME!
thank you for making this game. I love it!
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.1 B

Post by ArgonianLord »

Tower of Chaos Special Edition is out, and has just received its first bug fix.

Not a whole lot to say besides this really.

/ArgonianLord

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”