HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.7 H

For in-development or completed ZDoom projects
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in this thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.

HeXen: Tower of Chaos Special Edition Version 1.7 H

Postby ArgonianLord » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:41 pm

EDIT: 2014-10-28 07:59 (Fixed the link for the Wrath of Cronos patch, as it screwed over with a certain boss in the WAD a bit. Luckily, the issue has been fixed now)
(Download link for the old version will be at the bottom of the post. The new version's download link can be found under the new version description)

Greetings once more everyone, I am back with another update for Tower of Chaos, but this time its no mere bug fix (However there were some bugfixes thrown in too), oh no this is something much bigger. This is TOC Special Edition, a edition that improves upon TOC's old version and removes or replaces some of the old tedious gameplay elements. Now the switch hunts (While still existent some switches have been removed) will have more clear indications of what they actually do. As they now have cameras to show EXACTLY where the switch changed something. This clears up a whole lot of confusion I'd like to believe.

In addition to removing tedium, this release also updates the looks of all the earlier levels, so they'll look and play far less nooby than they used to back in the old release. Levels with major changes would be the Town of Jualtsa level and the Temple of the Elemental dragons level. The other levels have gone through a lot of change to.

Another new feature for this release is that most of the PRINTBOLD texts have been switched over to HUDMESSAGEBOLD. Which prevents the need to bring up the console every time the text switches to the other part after the first and so on.

And now onto the final new addition which I will not spoil. All I will say is that a new boss has been added and he also has some minions of his own that show up during the third hub.

With that said and done, I don't really have much else to say. Besides saying have a fun ride with this 'ere new version, as I am sure it'll be a far more enjoyable experience :)

Download link for the old version will still stay up, if people wanna see how the mod evolved from its old version. The download link for the new version can be found right below, while as the old versions link will stay all the way down at the bottom.

ToC: Levelset down here
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8p73n ... i5/TOC.pk3
WoC + ToC Compatibility patch here. To launch TOC with WoC you need to either make a batch file or drag the files into GZdoom in this order: TOC.pk3 wrathofcronosr1_7.pk3 TOCWOC2.pk3

(Most recent to any relevance link)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y5m9f ... ocwoc2.pk3

(Keeping this link up as a backup)

http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=tocwoc2.pk3

Description for the old release below here

Greetings all! ArgonianLord here.

Seeing the EXTREME lack of HeXen WADS out there, I decided to make my very own HeXen wad.

Which is the wad you are looking at RIGHT now ladies 'n gents!

Tower of Chaos starts of a bit Heretic-ish at first. As in "Collect keys, get to the next level". But later in the game you have to pick up another key in another level for use in a previous level and so on so forth.

Later into hub 2 and 3 the puzzle items begin to show up. Now I couldn't do them myself really, but my kind friend VikingBoyBilly helped me out with it (Thanks yet again for the help! :))

Later through the course of this WAD's development I started to learn basic scripting. Which turned out rather well if I say so myself.

So now you might wonder, what will you expect in Tower of Chaos? Well for one thing you're gonna have to get used to backtracking, but personally I don't think its too bad. But more to the point... Oh yeah you are also gonna meet some new enemies I picked up from Realm667. I also made a new variant of the Afrit that I call "Icefrit" Those guys are a bit more deadlier than the regular Afrit. And then I also went ahead and made some "Fire Stalkers". Basically, they will swim around in the lava.

Now if you've played Serpent Resurrection and seen its insta kill lava, expect to see insta kill lava in this WAD too. I added it because I found insta kill lava to make more sense than regular slow killing lava. So therefore, I added insta kill lava.

You will also hear a lot of music from other games in this wad. Namely Castlevania, Unreal, Gothic 2 etc. (I will also make a mention here that I do NOT plan on making money off of this wad NOR do I claim to own music from said games)

-----
Very well, now I feel like showing y'all some screenshots of the wad. I'll list what map a specific screenshot is from if you are curious.

Screenshots of Map 04 below.

Screenshots of map05 Below

Screenshot of Map07

Screenshot of map08

Screenshot of map10

----

I guess that'll do it for the screenshots. I wouldn't wanna ruin the surprise in some levels and whatnot by taking too many screenshots.

Now as you might see, my wad does have a few HeXen 2 like areas. Which was in fact intentional.
I always liked HeXen 2's variation to the different hubs, and so i felt like implementing that idea into my wad too.

Before anyone asks, no this does not take place in Thyrion (Where HeXen 2 takes place), this does in fact take place in different areas of Cronos (the world in HeXen 1).

Now I'm gonna pin point a few aspects this mod offers that most other HeXen wads don't seem to offer too much.

For starters, it does have a story, this WAD takes place between HeXen 1 and 2. Specifically it takes place a few years after the events of HeXen 1 and Deathkings of the Dark Citadel.

Korax is back in business again, due to some unknown entity resurrecting him. And since Korax is back, its up to Baratus, Parias or Daedolon to once again hunt Korax down.

Speaking of Korax, I did find a harder version of Korax on Realm667 (Except its called the "Inferno Demon" there). Thanks to whoever made it. So yeah don't expect yet another poor excuse for a boss Korax this time around.

This wad also features journals of dead people which you can read to get some not-too-useful background in the levels. While in some rare occasions these journals are related to the main story. Korax's resurrection and the Tower of Chaos that is.

You can activate the journals by walking over them.

You also gain access to a new weapon called the Cult Serpent Staff (Which I also got from realm667. Thanks to whoever made it!) However, the ammo for this weapon is very VERY scarce. So use it sparingly. (You won't get this weapon till hub 2 by the way).

This wad also has a fair amount of easter eggs in some journals for you guys 'n gals to figure out :)

And for those who do enjoy coop a LOT (Like I do). Then I'm gonna go right ahead and tell you that this wad supports up to 8 player coop.

This wad has 16 levels in total too.

I suppose that'll do it for info about this WAD. I do very much hope I didn't bore you to death >.>

Now I have something important to say about the resources I use. IF, I used your resources and forgot to credit you for them, do please tell me and I'll add your name to the credits right away!.

And here be thy credits:
----
Some Custom Enemies, placeables, textures etc belong:
VikingBoyBilly
ETTiNGRiNDER
Tormentor667
Maelstrom
Ravagefox
CodenniumRed
Evil Space Tomato
ceeb
zrrion the insect
Captain Toenail
Raven Software
(If I missed to list someone's resources here, please send me a message and i'll add your name to the credits right away!)
Music belong to.(I do NOT own ANY of these songs. NOR do I plan on selling them illegaly!)

Michiru Yamane
Konami

Alexander Brandon
Epic Games

Necros

grymmfett

Kai Rozenkranz

Frederic Motte
Kalisto Entertainment

Darren Mitchell
Acclaim and Iguana Entertainment

Kevin Schilder
Raven Software

Theresa Dorhuir

Main Menu song Title Theme - Gothic 2

Songs used in maps and for bosses:

MAP01 Valley of Mines - Gothic 2

MAP02 Magnus - Unreal BETA

MAP03 SWAMP - Gothic 2 Night of the Raven

MAP04 Bluff Eversmoking - Unreal

MAP05 Library - Gothic 2 Night of the Raven

MAP06 Soledad - Unreal BETA

MAP07 Unreal Suspense - Unreal Beta

MAP08 The Lost Land - Turok Dinosaur Hunter

MAP09 Beginning(aka Richter's Theme) - Castlevania Rondo of Blood

MAP10 The Ice Caverns - HeXen 2 Portal of Praevus

MAP11 Beginning/Underground Garden - Castlevania Nocturne in the Moonlight

MAP12 Thames Tunnel - Nightmare Creatures

MAP13 Requiem of the gods - Castlevania Symphony of the Night

MAP14 Abandoned Pit - Castlevania Symphony of the Night

MAP21 (Or map15 rather) Shadow's Symphony by grymmfett (Can be found on "The Mod Archives")

MAP22 (or map16 rather) Toccata into blood soaked Darkness - Castlevania Curse of Darkness

Mini boss Dancing in Phantasmic Hell - Castlevania Rondo of Blood

Boss 1 Snowman - Nightmare Creatures

Boss 2 Jose Manuel The Ripper - Nightmare Creatures

Boss 3 Sewer Snake - Nightmare Creatures

Final boss theme 1 Forest Boss - Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

Final Boss theme 2 March of the Warlord - By Theresa Dorhuir
----

And before you ask. YES this IS a finished mod. I just wanted to get that out of the way :)

Speedyshare Download link: http://www.speedyshare.com/BEeNx/TOC.zip (Fixed an issue related to the coop starts in Map14, as well as fixing some texture misalignments in map09)
Media Fire Download Link http://www.mediafire.com/download/aanw6 ... ia/TOC.zip (Fixed an issue related to the coop starts in Map14, as well as fixing some texture misalignments in map09)
Last edited by ArgonianLord on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:00 am, edited 35 times in total.
ArgonianLord

Re: HeXen: Tower of Chaos.WAD

Postby Unholypimpin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:30 am

Some of the outdoor areas could use some work but other than that this looks cool. Ill try it out and give you some feedback when you release it.
Unholypimpin
buff paper nerf sissors, rock is fine

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 am

Yeah, some of the slopes for the outdoor areas can be pretty shoddy. But it doesn't bother me too much.

And Map08 is a bit too blocky here and there. But luckily enough, not too much.

Either way, I now found a File sharing service which seems to be trust worth. So hence, I will now post the download link!
ArgonianLord

Postby wildweasel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 am

This is probably the best first post ever.
wildweasel
referee is tired of your shit

Location: america, home of the world's most expensive public education system

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 am

Wow... thanks wildweasel! I didn't expect to get such a reply on any of my mods :)
ArgonianLord

Postby wildweasel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 am

ArgonianLord wrote:Wow... thanks wildweasel! I didn't expect to get such a reply on any of my mods :)

Well, this is coming from the person whose job it is to approve the first post of every new user who has registered in the last year or so, and there is a lot of crap in that approval queue. So imagine my surprise and amazement to find that a new user actually posts not only a thread that is well structured and readable, but also contains a complete new mod for Hexen. =P

(Full disclosure: I've yet to play the mod in question. =P)
wildweasel
referee is tired of your shit

Location: america, home of the world's most expensive public education system

Postby Blue Shadow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 am

This seems interesting, though can we have another mirror for the download link; I can't access SpeedyShare. MediaFire would be nice.
Blue Shadow

Postby Ichor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:02 pm

wildweasel wrote:
ArgonianLord wrote:Wow... thanks wildweasel! I didn't expect to get such a reply on any of my mods :)

Well, this is coming from the person whose job it is to approve the first post of every new user who has registered in the last year or so, and there is a lot of crap in that approval queue. So imagine my surprise and amazement to find that a new user actually posts not only a thread that is well structured and readable, but also contains a complete new mod for Hexen. =P

(Full disclosure: I've yet to play the mod in question. =P)

Now you made me want to look up my first post, which was an bug report regarding an old Heretic map of mine which turned out to be a compatibility issue. Imagine if there was an approval process way back then...

As for this, I'll try it when I get home.
Ichor

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Blue Shadow wrote:This seems interesting, though can we have another mirror for the download link; I can't access SpeedyShare. MediaFire would be nice.

I will add a mirror to Media Fire then ;)

EDIT: Media fire link added.
ArgonianLord

Postby -Ghost- » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Always nice to have more Hexen maps. It's the game I really want to love, but the regular WAD levels are just so confusing and not fun with all the switch hunts. I've played the first couple maps of this and I'm enjoying it so far.
-Ghost-

Postby Dead Warlord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Just a minor bug report but at the end of the first level there's a small HOM effect on the left pillar beside the final door. I'll attach a screenshot just to show what I mean

I've only gotten through one map so far, but I like the mod so far, not every day you get a Hexen mod lol. If I catch any other errors that others havent, I'll make sure to mention them.
Attachments
Screenshot_Hexen_20130701_155108.png
Dead Warlord

Postby Blue Shadow » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:47 pm

@ArgonianLord: You might want to compress or convert the music to OGG or something to save on file size. Most of the project's size (which is 175 MB) is coming from the music tracks - mainly, the WAVs and MP3s. I did a couple of test conversions. I took the the largest WAV and MP3 tracks and converted them to OGG:

• The WAV track: 29.7 MB (original) ---> 2.79 MB (after conversion; 9.4% of its original size)
  • The MP3 track: 15.2 MB (original) ---> 6.11 MB (after conversion; 40.2% of its original size)
I think the results speak for themselves. All that without a (noticeable) quality loss.
Blue Shadow

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Is this software-renderer safe, or is it GZDoom only?
ETTiNGRiNDER
What's a paladin?

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 pm

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:Is this software-renderer safe, or is it GZDoom only?

Yes this is software-render safe.

I've tested it with Zdoom every now and then.
ArgonianLord

Postby ArgonianLord » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Blue Shadow wrote:@ArgonianLord: You might want to compress or convert the music to OGG or something to save on file size. Most of the project's size (which is 175 MB) is coming from the music tracks - mainly, the WAVs and MP3s. I did a couple of test conversions. I took the the largest WAV and MP3 tracks and converted them to OGG:

• The WAV track: 29.7 MB (original) ---> 2.79 MB (after conversion; 9.4% of its original size)
  • The MP3 track: 15.2 MB (original) ---> 6.11 MB (after conversion; 40.2% of its original size)
I think the results speak for themselves. All that without a (noticeable) quality loss.

Well I would gladly convert the music files had it not been for the fact that my MP3 to OGG converter is complete utter garbage.
ArgonianLord

Next

Return to Projects