Classic Rivalry

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
zygo

Re: Classic Rivalry

Post by zygo »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
zygo wrote:Am i the only one here that thinks Samsara is a ripoff of my mod :/
Not really because Samsara works across most of the wads and tries to keep the weapons and characters as accurate as possible, while classic rivalry is more of a doom focused mod and the weapons have been updated/modified slightly.
fair point i never really looked at it like that :) :p
zygo

Post by zygo »

Game available to download on the main post on the first page of this topic, enjoy :)
or here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/z43 ... t9oLw&dl=1
please submit bugs, and suggestions
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

downloading now! looks fantastic.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

I gave it a quick try, and I actually like it. It's much more stable and enjoyable than the last version (despite the lack of class variety so far). I'll try to make time to actually do a play-through with it at some point. Keep up the great work! :)
Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy »

... 235 megabytes of music in a class mod?
Are you fucking serious?!

I removed it all and dropped the filesize to 57MB uncompressed (34MB ultra-compressed), which is still way too much for three classes. Since you're so fond of slinging mud on Samsara, let's put it into perspective: with eight full classes and support for all the main IWADs, it's still only clocking in at 30MB (25MB with the same ultra-compression).

Cut out the music. No one's playing for the music.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

yes the music should not be apart of it, music should come with maps and a choice of the player.
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

So far I am enjoying this. The mixture of different weapons from different versions of the same game as you stated give it a nostalgia effect but there are a couple of things that I think could be implemented :).

First is it possible to make the music a separate download or downloads as most of them I will probably never listen to and the large file size seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Second with the shrink ray are you going to try and implement a proper shrink function instead of having it as another damage weapon? wouldn't hurt to give it a shot as Terminus did :)
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

would be very good, the thing about shrink ray is that it would have to cause enemies a a certian damage, and when they are damaged go into a special pain state then morph effect which will morph the monster into a small one and with +touchy flag make it go to death on touch. only problem I would say is making the sprite gradually shrink down would be a pain and you would have to indivually make small verions of each monster to morph to.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I've played a bit of the wad and this is what I've got to say:

The 3do weapons for Hargrove are out of resolution so they look kinda small and I think you should go with the PC weapons only since you don't have 3do versions of all the weapons.

I agree with the other people with the doom 64 weapons in that they should be different.
The shot gun could fire faster but require a short reload every 6 shots (I would go with a short goldeneye style reload). The BFG could act as a heavy rocket launcher, have the projectile go slow but do a lot of damage and have a large explosion. The rocket launcher that seeks is fine, leave it as it is. The plasma gun could be less accurate but do more damage. The chain gun could be more accurate but have a longer speed up time or fire more hitscans to stun enemies. The pistol could do more damage but require a reload. The super shotgun could shoot two shots in quick sequence instead of both barrels at once.

Make the music a seperate addon so it doesn't raise the file size too much. The shadows on the monsters are a bit too dark so maybe make them more transparent.

You could make the duke nukem raygun thing be more unique by making it turn enemies to your side or something.

I remember you saying something about removing the wolfenstein class but I think it would be a good idea to combine it with the Rise of the Triad class. You could have the mp40 instead of the dual pistols and have the chaingun instead of the mp40. Just use the chaingun sprites from the mac/jaguar version of the game,

Overall, this is a pretty nice mod so far and I agree with Sgt. Mark when he says the weapons feel very powerful. :D
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

Is it just me or does thing feel completely unbalanced? One example of this are enemies that can take away too much health in a short period of time.
zygo

Post by zygo »

Peter Bark wrote:would be very good, the thing about shrink ray is that it would have to cause enemies a a certian damage, and when they are damaged go into a special pain state then morph effect which will morph the monster into a small one and with +touchy flag make it go to death on touch. only problem I would say is making the sprite gradually shrink down would be a pain and you would have to indivually make small verions of each monster to morph to.
Exactly lol one day man, for now il just finish up the classes an take off the music file.
zygo

Post by zygo »

Doomguy 2000 wrote:Is it just me or does thing feel completely unbalanced? One example of this are enemies that can take away too much health in a short period of time.
That's the point, I don't want the player to feel to much like a god. I still want the player to carefully play through the game. And what's the fuss with all the super health packs an super armors randomly scattered throughout the game?
zygo

Post by zygo »

Ijon Tichy wrote:... 235 megabytes of music in a class mod?
Are you fucking serious?!

I removed it all and dropped the filesize to 57MB uncompressed (34MB ultra-compressed), which is still way too much for three classes. Since you're so fond of slinging mud on Samsara, let's put it into perspective: with eight full classes and support for all the main IWADs, it's still only clocking in at 30MB (25MB with the same ultra-compression).

Cut out the music. No one's playing for the music.
Fool how many weapons a class in samsara? I have items, sounds, weapons from games you have not included so keep chatting boy its called variation. The music file will be a separate wad.
Last edited by zygo on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
zygo

Post by zygo »

hammer oz wrote:So far I am enjoying this. The mixture of different weapons from different versions of the same game as you stated give it a nostalgia effect but there are a couple of things that I think could be implemented :).

First is it possible to make the music a separate download or downloads as most of them I will probably never listen to and the large file size seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Second with the shrink ray are you going to try and implement a proper shrink function instead of having it as another damage weapon? wouldn't hurt to give it a shot as Terminus did :)
Agreed. I never thought file size would be a problem in this day and age anymore but your right il separate wad :D and I will eventually get round to making the weapons perfect :D
Zdoomer1337

Post by Zdoomer1337 »

This is amazing

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”