FATE --- Step into the Darkness

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BurntApples

Re: FATE --- Step into the Darkness

Post by BurntApples »

Holy long time batman! Just an update to say that I'm currently making little tweaks to the first three maps with the 3D concept and rewriting the story a bit. It'll be absent from any updated text files for a while. MAP04 will be a dungeon of some kind and I'm working on having some traps set up but none too annoying or fatal. I want ways you can get out of them if you use your noggin.

I realize the first episode should have been done at least a few weeks ago but let's just say my business on more important matters probably gave me a good creative break. The dungeon idea is much better than a cavern. I hate caverns, they are bland and hard to be original with and I'm not sure what I was thinking. There probably wont be a cavern in this project for an entire level slot.

Anyway thats it for now and thanks again to those of you who helped me tackle the 3D floors concept :)
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

BurntApples wrote:The dungeon idea is much better than a cavern. I hate caverns, they are bland and hard to be original with and I'm not sure what I was thinking. There probably wont be a cavern in this project for an entire level slot.
Yeah, The Living End really sucks.
BurntApples

Post by BurntApples »

Eh, I actually found the living end to be one of the best cavern levels ever personally. Grizzly Grotto from Quake wasn't half bad either. Still, every time I try to design a good cavern they are bland and well, there've been plenty of caverns before and thus I have trouble coming up with original ideas for them. That's what I should've said. The living end is one of my favourite levels from DOOM II. The chasm though is quite frankly the worst idea ever.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

i can swear i recognize a few areas from those screens to be areas in the maps of the mod Slipgate
BurntApples

Post by BurntApples »

Heh, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Actually the wad you mentioned sounds interesting I may have to google it!
I decided to give MAP01 a big face lift and probably the other two maps as well since I've learned a lot about Zdoom just by browsing this forum. If there are some good similarities between this and slipgate I hope I didn't get rid of them!
BurntApples

Post by BurntApples »

Another bump. I remade MAP01 and MAP02 and will be remaking MAP03 as well. The reason I mainly decided on this is because most parts of the maps, mostly MAP03 were so big and open that it was much to easy to dodge projectiles. After Sargent mark IV and others explained the 3D floor concept I began working with it on early version of map04 (pending redraw) and realized it changed the whole face of the project and what I could do with the levels.
MAP03 can now be what I wanted it to be in the beginning but, compared to map01 and 02, it will still be somewhat the same level. So I've decided just to upload the MAP01 and 02 remakes.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bhlyc ... cg/FD1.zip

Feedback is as always very appreciated :)
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

BurntApples wrote:Eh, I actually found the living end to be one of the best cavern levels ever personally.
I rather think esselfortium was being sarcastic.
BurntApples

Post by BurntApples »

Well in that case, I hope I'm forgiven for not seeing the need for such sarcasm. In any case, responding to sarcasm has never been my strong suit case thus I chose to clarify my post xD
BurntApples

Post by BurntApples »

Bump and update to say I haven't died or anything. Work finally kicked off (again, ha) and I found myself pretty busy throughout the last couple of months.

When I finally got back to the project, I took the two maps I uploaded out of beta stage as there is really nothing wrong with them aside from a door track moving, oops. So, I single sided stuff and double checked that the faces in MAP02 on the wall have impassible lines so players wont get stuck on them.

My draft of the original remake for MAP03 seems boring now, I hadn't even laid down a sector for it. It was that easy to decide that it was crap compared to the first two maps.

I noticed I left some stuff in the text file when I copied the layout of the one from Sythe, I'll have to fix that on the next upload.

I probably wont upload anything new till I've finished with the first 8 levels.

Originally I had let my friend write some music for random levels within the WAD but I decided it best to cut them simply because I have a feeling that once the two last tracks added later the file will be close to if not slightly bigger than 30MB. For a game like DOOM 2, I don't think people will fancy downloading anything bigger than that even if it is a full 32 level replacement wad.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

At the rate this is going, I don't expect it to be 100% complete level wise until sometime mid/late next year. I've thought about asking around here to see if other people would like to contribute and I'm still considering the idea. Still, I suppose that the longer it takes it will only improve it's quality.

Also, I've snagged some textures from the quake101 wad for the EDGE engine but noticed I need permission from the original author before using these files. Only problem is, I can't find his/her email anywhere. If anybody knows how to get in contact with the author please do let me know!

Return to “Levels”