Wrath of Cronos RPG V3A

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.7B (Preview for Next Release)

Post by xenoxols »

So you're the guy I watch on youtube. Your videos are great! I would suggest WGRealms 2 for a let's play but you probably are already busy.
sirleviatan

Post by sirleviatan »

I just subscribed only to suggest you add a new oriental character based on the protagonist of shadow warrior ( Lo Wang ) because it has that air of medieval warrior and would fit perfect in my opinion, what do you think?
check my own mod, fits perfectly with this mod!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHxDRRIT4o
sorry for my bad english , I use the goggle translator.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

That looks awesome!
EDIT: I don't think this is the right thread though.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Wow, those textures would work great with this. I've mostly been using a Hexen texture replacement, which works for the most part though it looks weird in some spots.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Hello Thetis, I have been following your mod for months and Wrath of Cronos is one of my favourite Hexen mods, is there any news? The merchant and the monsters drop gold get me hyped for the next update.
Greetings!
CAFinaTEd

Post by CAFinaTEd »

sirleviatan wrote:I just subscribed only to suggest you add a new oriental character based on the protagonist of shadow warrior ( Lo Wang ) because it has that air of medieval warrior and would fit perfect in my opinion, what do you think?
I've also made an account to second this idea - I'd LOVE to see a Shadow Warrior/Assassin class in this game. Lo Wang's arsenal seems like it would work out well in Hexen...though I guess the custom death animations in Shadow Warrior are a big part of the reason they were so cool.

Fantastic mod, really enjoying it so far! The new classes feel like they were always part of the game, or part of an official expansion. :mrgreen:
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

...You guys realize the Hunter has cloaking, super speed, a menagerie of tricks and traps, finesse-based melee, and an arsenal of accurate and deadly ranged weaponry, right? There already IS an assassin class.

On the note of Lo Wang being a good fit, Lo Wang's arsenal, in case you've forgotten, is mostly guns. Modern or futuristic ones, in fact. There's only one gun you see in the mod under normal circumstances and it's... surprise, the Hunter's blunderbuss. It doesn't even run off black powder and shot, it's magically powered. Cronos doesn't have the technology for that kind of weaponry, you guys. And why would they bother, when they've got magic that can do oh so much more?

Also, there's no evidence in the game's lore(however sparse it is) to suggest that there's any other country in the world of Cronos that could be considered to be a facsimile for the Ancient Orient. In fact, the triumvirate of the Church, the Arcanum and the Legion ruled the entire planet, supposedly. So, logically, there IS no Orient. Cronos is one big dark medieval European fantasy land.

TL;DR - Take yourselves over to the topic where they're working on an actual Shadow Warrior mod, you guys. Don't try to fanwank all over this one, please.
BFG

Post by BFG »

sirleviatan wrote:I just subscribed only to suggest you add a new oriental character based on the protagonist of shadow warrior ( Lo Wang ) because it has that air of medieval warrior and would fit perfect in my opinion, what do you think?
check my own mod, fits perfectly with this mod!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHxDRRIT4o
sorry for my bad english , I use the goggle translator.
Agree 100% with Lo Wang, and those textures blow my mind, I can't believe how different Doom can look with different textures, looks like a sequel to the HeXretic series now!
twinkieman93 wrote: On the note of Lo Wang being a good fit, Lo Wang's arsenal, in case you've forgotten, is mostly guns. Modern or futuristic
modern weapons and fantasy has worked well in the past
tyketto

Post by tyketto »

I'm with Twinkleman93 - Lo Wang doesn't belong in this mod. This isn't Samsara.
BFG

Post by BFG »

tyketto wrote:I'm with Twinkleman93 - Lo Wang doesn't belong in this mod. This isn't Samsara.
Yeah, but you're thinking of an exact copy of Lo Wang copied into the game, I thought more of a Lo Wang style samurai warrior, with swords like his.

If any BUILD character fits it would be Grondoval from Witchaven, but nobody likes coding his weapons as the sprites are made to fit the Witchaven screen.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Then you should have said a Lo Wang-styled character. I still feel like Hunter has the assassin role covered and another class in that role would be redundant, but eh.

Anyways, if you want an Oriental warrior type, the main problem I have with that is that he wouldn't be very different at all from the Fighter, with mostly melee weapons and a few ranged options, and probably similar skill trees too. He might not play EXACTLY the same but would there be enough of a difference to justify a completely new character class with new graphics, new code, new EVERYTHING basically? Think about the undertaking you're asking Thetis to do here. Alone, too, he's standing on the shoulders of giants here but he's still standing alone!

Now, that all having been said, if someone had the sprites, I'm sure Thetis wouldn't mind a reskin project to make the Fighter more Oriental-feeling... wink wink nudge nudge.

On the note of Grondoval, isn't the Cleric's Morning Star taken from Witchaven? It's true, I wish the weapons(all of them in general, it's certainly not the only weapon with that problem!) had widescreen support. I'm torn between living with cutoff weapons or living with an excessively stretched screen. Either way it makes my eyes bleed.
tyketto

Post by tyketto »

I like the idea of having another melee-centric character in the mod, but I agree that it should be designed in such a way that it isn't the Fighter with a different coat of paint. There'd need to be some distinct differences.
CAFinaTEd

Post by CAFinaTEd »

Yes, not a straight copy of just Lo Wang in Hexen, but a more-melee assassin character based around his (non-gun) weapons would be really cool imo. Lo Wang had many non-gun weapons - his melee fists, katana, shuriken, and I could see the sticky bomb being repurposed to fit - the art for it doesn't look like it's inherently technological to me.

Either that or adding at least one more melee weapon to the hunter would be really cool to see.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Actually, a Samurai type class would fit rather well, and it would be very different from the Fighter.
Thetis

Re: Wrath of Cronos RPG 1.8A

Post by Thetis »

With Zand 2.0 being released, here is an update. I would've updated this sooner, but I had to make some changes to accommodate with some Zand features. Also, modifying DBT's Hexen 2 texture replacer, I got a texture pack to be used with Doom to give it a more Hexen-y feel.

Anyway, here are the download links.

Wrath of Cronos Main File
Wrath of Cronos Doom Patch
Wrath of Cronos Heretic Patch
Wrath of Cronos Strife Patch
Wrath of Cronos Doom Monster Randomizer Patch
Wrath of Cronos Doom Texture Replacer
Wrath of Cronos Masters of Chaos Patch

Return to “Gameplay Mods”