Burl Tumd (Last updated 8/11/13)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Ventris

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

Post by Captain Ventris »

1. Art Reference.

2. Both swords share a slot, both pistols share a slot. Eric must have decided to split the shotguns since they are useful only in different situations.

I'm not exactly sure why that upsets you.
Blox

Post by Blox »

My guess for the slot juggling is the presence of the rifle, which is a new weapon.
Awkward, yes. But this is a mod, r'mber?
Vict wrote:Uh, for the picture in the original post, is there any reason why you traced over the Duke Nukem 2 box art, colored it differently while making minor changes, then stretched it horizonally by about 50%?
If you haven't guessed by the skill levels and the name, this isn't
you am BURL TUMD
a very
you must KILL DEMNS with GNUS
srs
go now BURL TUMD and become ru DNESTIY
mdod

And the title screen is more of a gag than something serious. :P
Big C

Post by Big C »

Wouldn't it make more sense for the silencer to be removable/attachable with the altfire key while using the pistol?
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Vict wrote:Uh, for the picture in the original post, is there any reason why you traced over the Duke Nukem 2 box art, colored it differently while making minor changes, then stretched it horizonally by about 50%?

Is it part of the joke that I don't seem to be getting right now? I mean, I've played it for about ten minutes and this is a jokewad right? Within the first few seconds I've discovered that none of the weapons of similar types share slots, and for some reason you put the shotguns on 4 and 5, yet an assault rifle is on 3 and the chaingun is on 6...

EDIT: Wait, no the pistols share slot 2. That means this was intentionally designed this way... Come on..
Blox did the Titlepic, ask him about that.

Weapons of similar types don't share slots because they don't need to. The only ones that do are the swords and the pistol, and I'm going to explain the latter as putting the silencer on the gun rather than actually taking out a different weapon. I'll probably just make that the altfire rather than a separate weapon in some future version, but this was a faster solution that worked just as well.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Captain Ventris wrote:1. Art Reference.

2. Both swords share a slot, both pistols share a slot. Eric must have decided to split the shotguns since they are useful only in different situations.

I'm not exactly sure why that upsets you.
He's just mad because there's no racism or just jealous because it may out rival his favourite mod. Silliness aside nice to see this is actually in development and you weren't just joking on IRC.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I think the assault rifle and the minigun could share slot 4 comfortably. And maybe share a separate ammo from the pistol.

Maybe magazines would be replaced by pistol ammo and ammo boxes would be replaced by rifle/minigun ammo?
Vict

Post by Vict »

Springy wrote:He's just mad because there's no racism or just jealous because it may out rival his favourite mod. Silliness aside nice to see this is actually in development and you weren't just joking on IRC.
Why am I being attacked for expressing opinion and asking questions? I'm no fan of Mark's personality but I think this is very immature. I was even one of the first people to disagree with Mark's choice for including real gore in Brutal Doom.

Nothing I posted warrants an "lol u just mad", I'm sorry I'm not riding on the hate train with the rest of you.

Springy wrote:My guess for the slot juggling is the presence of the rifle, which is a new weapon.
Awkward, yes. But this is a mod, r'mber?

This isn't the first mod to include one, and most just put it on the Chaingun slot because it's convenient. There are still only 7 classes of weapons but they are spread over 9 buttons instead of just 7. I've seen people call out other mods about this, why is it being ignored here?
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Maybe magazines would be replaced by pistol ammo and ammo boxes would be replaced by rifle/minigun ammo?
But what if a map starts you with just a couple ammo boxes and no weapons? Then you've only got 50 shots in your pistol, when the map meant for you to have 100 or more. There's the problem with using more than four ammo types in Doom - sometimes the ammo that's given is completely useless because you don't have the weapon that it's intended for.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Eric_ wrote:
But what if a map starts you with just a couple ammo boxes and no weapons? Then you've only got 50 shots in your pistol, when the map meant for you to have 100 or more. There's the problem with using more than four ammo types in Doom - sometimes the ammo that's given is completely useless because you don't have the weapon that it's intended for.
But if there's zombiemen that drop EITHER pistol ammo or rifles AND the chaingunners also drop chainguns that covers all the bases, right?

Wait. No. Ultimate DooM wouldn't have chaingunners but it would at least have chainguns.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Vict wrote:
Springy wrote:He's just mad because there's no racism or just jealous because it may out rival his favourite mod. Silliness aside nice to see this is actually in development and you weren't just joking on IRC.
Why am I being attacked for expressing opinion and asking questions? I'm no fan of Mark's personality but I think this is very immature. I was even one of the first people to disagree with Mark's choice for including real gore in Brutal Doom.

Nothing I posted warrants an "lol u just mad", I'm sorry I'm not riding on the hate train with the rest of you.
Note the use of the quote "Silliness aside." Maybe I should've used italics or quotation marks for hinting at sarcasm. If someone doesn't like the mod (there's always going to be someone) then that's fair enough. I do agree about the weapon slots that both Vict and Big C pointed out.
Vict

Post by Vict »

Springy wrote: If someone doesn't like the mod (there's always going to be someone) then that's fair enough.
My opinion is that the whole matter is immature and unnecessary.

The comment that was made and that Eric quoted in the original post was unnecessary both ways, the vitriol towards other mods is unnecessary, the comments attacking people for not showering this mod with "lol itz le aewsome" is unnecessary.

This whole thing makes me incredibly uncomfortable, seeing certain members of this community act in such an immature manner.

Yeah it's a joke, I get it. However I'm not laughing, instead I'm just shaking my head and sighing.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Vict wrote:Nothing I posted warrants an "lol u just mad", I'm sorry I'm not riding on the hate train with the rest of you.
points to Vict for being one of the most mature in this thread. Come on, quit dragging out the racism thing, the hate train here is just [censored word].

Would give the mod a try but my harddrive died a few hours ago.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Vict wrote:Yeah it's a joke, I get it. However I'm not laughing, instead I'm just shaking my head and sighing.
I don't understand what your problem is? This is meant to be a gameplay mod, and that's all. If you don't find whatever joke you're talking about "funny", how is that even relevant to how the mod plays?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Dynamo wrote:
Vict wrote:Yeah it's a joke, I get it. However I'm not laughing, instead I'm just shaking my head and sighing.
I don't understand what your problem is? This is meant to be a gameplay mod, and that's all. If you don't find whatever joke you're talking about "funny", how is that even relevant to how the mod plays?
Because the advertising might put off some people.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Big C wrote:
Dynamo wrote:
Because the advertising might put off some people.
Well if those people judge the mod by its title (which, by the way, is an in-joke between a few people, not meant to be a direct stab at anyone) and not by its gameplay well then fùck.

Let's keep the thread on topic: the complaint about weapon slots is IMO valid (I don't like the way they are right now either).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”