Burl Tumd (Last updated 8/11/13)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

Post by Matt »

wildweasel wrote:I really wonder why nobody complained when I jokingly titled ww-terror "Police Brutality."
I just assumed it was a bad-taste joke about the sort of cop who would behave like a typical FPS protagonist. Didn't even think the BD connection was intentional at all.

(someone please make Gëntle Doom plzkthxilu5evr)

More comments about this mod:
-shotgun guys are badly overpowered. Yes this is coming from the guy whose main pet project is infamous for having the player one-shotted by these guys on a regular basis, but in proportion to all other enemies of that level - pistol zombies, rifle zombies, imps, chaingunners, demons - they stand out like a sore thumb and the effect is jarring.
-you basically never need anything other than AR, vorpal and maybe RL, with the shotguns being occasionally useful but not necessary. Chaingun is worse than useless in comparison due to lag in shooting and less damage, same with pistol except maybe for those Hell-frozen-over blue moons where stealth is a tactic rather than a gimmick and you can do with having your DPS halved. The sword is both slower and less damaging than the vorp, making that completely useless as well once you have the vorp.
-yeah, the slots do throw me off in a bad way, I just didn't really notice before because of the above point + slot 3 being pretty much burned into my brain as being the "workhorse" weapon of any FPS (I've even switched 1 and 3 around in TF2).
-it seems very awkward, even notwithstanding the weapon slots being switched around, that you only see 6 weapon slots in your status bar even though you have 8 weapon slots total

So really, your weapons could be reduced to 1 sword/vorpal, 2 pistol/AR, 3 pump, 4 SSG, 5 RL, 6 plasma, 7 BFG, with slots 1-2 not being able to select sword or pistol once you've got the better weapon.
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

Post by Kate »

Vaecrius wrote:(someone please make Gëntle Doom plzkthxilu5evr)
Well what I'm making right now is basically Cüte Doom, if that counts. I am tempted to actually do this now though.

But on topic this wad has the best name ever. I approve.
zrrion the insect

Re: Burl Tumd: Updated! (2/9/13)

Post by zrrion the insect »

The mod was pretty fun and the DN2 art edit was genius. It's a bit rough in a few places, which have, for the most part, already been addressed.
It may just be me, but the non-vorpal sword looks really bad alongside the Vorpal Blade and BLOX's very nice edits; the sprites are rather ugly. The two swords are functionally the same anyway, so it makes the weaker one stick out even more.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I like how everyone was complaining about the name but when Sgt Mark said he found it pretty fun, everyone stopped and began saying good things about it. Man, the herd...... I was going to write a super long post that nobody would read but screw that.

In any case I should probably think of more feature suggestions for this...
Rubbershoos

Post by Rubbershoos »

This WAD is a masterpiece, the gore is good, the weapon looks/sounds are good, and of course now I can tap the mouse like a retard trying to give as many shots as possible with pistol before getting hit.
The intermission and the last difficulty level made me laugh, this is a very creative vengenance.
Keep up the good work man!
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Dynamo wrote:I like how everyone was complaining about the name but when Sgt Mark said he found it pretty fun, everyone stopped and began saying good things about it. Man, the herd...... I was going to write a super long post that nobody would read but screw that.

In any case I should probably think of more feature suggestions for this...
Not really. The name spoof and such (and the intermission screen in-game) is rather funny, it was the way the topic was advertised and the way the OP was phrased that seemed unprofessional/in bad taste. As it is now, everything that can be said about that ordeal has already been said, and people have since moved on to comment on the mod itself.

Personally, I agree with Vaecrius's criticisms; however, I should add that I think that if you balance things out a bit more, you could end up with some pretty cool action-arcade gameplay. I'd even suggest considering a points system or something in that respect. Maybe even treasure or something ala Wolf 3D.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

-shotgun guys are badly overpowered.
In the current version? I'll increase their spread some more, I suppose.
-you basically never need anything other than AR, vorpal and maybe RL, with the shotguns being occasionally useful but not necessary.
I always found a use for everything except the chaingun, which, as I've said, I intend to re-do to be less useless. Currently though, the chaingun does have the advantage of being the best stunlocking weapon you have, and occasionally doing more damage per shot than the assault rifle.
The sword is both slower and less damaging than the vorp, making that completely useless as well once you have the vorp.
Again, it's more powerful when you have higher health. The vorpal blade is practically useless if you've got 200 health, while the sword is actually completely useless at <10 health thanks to no rounding. They both excel in different situations, though the vorpal blade is more powerful at 1 health than the sword is at 200 health, due to the risk involved running around with 1 health.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Mike12 wrote:Personally, I agree with Vaecrius's criticisms; however, I should add that I think that if you balance things out a bit more, you could end up with some pretty cool action-arcade gameplay.
Hence why I'm giving those crits at all!
Eric_ wrote:Currently though, the chaingun does have the advantage of being the best stunlocking weapon you have, and occasionally doing more damage per shot than the assault rifle.
Seems like a freak result of the RNG if that happened. Meanwhile, most lower-level critters are fragile enough that if you shoot first with the AR they'll never get a chance to shoot you, while if you approach with a chaingun you've got a better chance that they'll get the first shot before you could painlock them.

Point taken re: blades, though a vorpal blade at 200 health is only slightly worse than the chaingun (which despite my above comments is a perfectly servicable weapon, just not nearly as good as the AR) at painlocking targets, and without using any ammo at that.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Neat little mod, I like it. While it doesn't make Doom harder per-say, it does overall compress the time making it a good "coffee-break" Doom mod.

I love the sprites for the shotguns, all polished and shiny. Is the SSG reload sound from Xbox Doom? Curious. I've only got one gripe though; too many bullet weapons. Honestly, to alleviate this issue in my opinion IMO, would just be to get the silenced pistol to replace the pistol entirely so I'm not shuffling through a little pistol collection. Also, perhaps, maybe lower the rate of fire (before you can initiate another burst) on the rifle to balance it out a bit?

Otherwise, nice stuff. Solid effects, and solid blood too. Pump shotty reminds me of Cold as Hell. The blades add a nice concept to the fast-paced gameplay.

And I suppose that the little dick-waving between you two going to stay in the mod? I mean I'll remove it from my personal copy but, I'm just curious.

EDIT: I mean, cmon, it's childish. Granted I know what he said was out of line, but you responded to it like "oh yeah mufucka?" A blemish on an otherwise very good little mod.

EDIT EDIT: Upon playing further, perhaps lower the damage the pump does in non-point-blank scenarios? Would encourage meatshots. Things a little OP. And draw out the SSG reload to make it a tad longer. Rocket Launcher is pretty cool. Are they just plain more powerful now or?
Last edited by Abba Zabba on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Fun fact, the Xbox Doom sounds are exactly the same as in the PC. The problem comes from the Xbox port which plays them back at a fixed rate instead of using the sample rate given in the header.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sound
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

I still have no idea what Burl Tumd means.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Is the SSG reload sound from Xbox Doom?
It's from PSX Doom.
would just be to get the silenced pistol to replace the pistol entirely so I'm not shuffling through a little pistol collection
I'm planning on making the silencer an altfire toggle rather than a separate weapon.
And I suppose that the little dick-waving between you two going to stay in the mod?
There's only the interpic and the Nightmare difficulty currently. I want to relocate the former elsewhere, and while I could come up with another name for the latter, I don't think I want to. "Are you sure you want to FUCK YOURSELF?" is just too great an opportunity to pass up.
I still have no idea what Burl Tumd means.
It came from a partially-intentional typo of "Brutal Doom".
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Had the chance to play this on my other computer now.

The first impressions weren't all that good for my part, I played a bit of doom2 to begin with. I didn't like the gore at all, I mean I've seen a lot of goremods and this was really towards the worse. The swords seemed out of place, the gameplay wasn't that satisfying, the weapon slots had me confused for a long time etc...
But I figured I'd try to play some of Agent Spork's maps with it, as it felt kind of arcadey and sporks maps are as arcadey as it can get(played geox and ultimate simplicity). And for some reason, it really worked well with the maps, I enjoyed the maps a lot with it, the balance seemed to be pretty good with those maps. I got a little more used to the weaponslots and the faster pace really helped the maps be even more facepaced than they felt before, which fit well with the fast music etc. And in this setting, the gore kind of worked, I wouldn't say it's pretty but it felt more like "happy" gore and "fast" gore for some reason which fit with the atmosphere of the maps, won't praise the gore more than that though as it still looks kinda half-assed.

The shotun was by far the best weapon here, it dealt pretty much the same damage at close range as the traditional doom ssg does, only shoots muuuch faster. Because of this, the difficulty was lower on the "UV" skill level than it is traditonally in doom. I liked this though. I still felt like I had to pull out the chaingun from time to time and the rifle. However it left the SSG pointless for my taste and I almost never used it unless I pulled it out by accident in the heat of the moment, it only dealt slightly more damage than the shotgun but took 2 shells and had a much slower rate of fire((([Edit]Hmm it seems the SSG is pretty good too, but it just didn't fit the playstyle I was doing and the maps I was playing, GJ on the SSG/SG balance there![/Edit]))). Can't say I used the Rocketlauncher or plasmarifle either, but I somehow feel like the reason for that was not being used to stretching out to the far out weapon slots 7,8,9 except when in need for very very very powerful weapons, and the maps I played didn't really have moments where they felt neccesary. Dealing with 2 barons in a tight space is easily done with the regular shotgun here so no need to pull out the plasmarifle even.

The shotgunguy... I was more afraid of this monster than any other monster in the game, like "meh 5 revenants whatever" but "HOLY FUCK 2 SHOTGUNGUYS". I mean that reaction should point out that the balance is a little flawed there. I kind of like the idea of ramping up the power of the lower tier monsters. but in the case of the shotgunguy, we're talking about getting smashed in the face with a damage of 40-60 in a millisecond. Considering it's a regularily seen hitscan monster it puts the player in a lot of those annoying moments where you run in with 60 hp in a room and get shot down in the instant of a second without giving you any time to react and you die...

It seemed like the players speed was ramped up a little bit, perhaps give some of the enemies like the imp, cacodemon, lostsoul and perhaps even the hell nobles a speedboost to compensate for it and the boosted weapon damages?

Something else to point out is the kickback the weapons do on the enemies, I don't see it as such an important feature, and it can be gamebreaking in some cases, I shot down some monsters from places to areas they shouldn't fall down to, and shooting some of the bigger monsters can easily get them stuck on small floor dents.

An issue with the weapons is that once you run out of ammo with any weapon, it instantly switches to the sword. You should fix it so that it autoswitches to the previous slot, I think you can fix this with weapon.selectionorder or something, give the sword +wimpyweapon and stuff like that.

So to conclude my opinion on this: This mod works if you play it with the right levelsets...
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:won't praise the gore more than that though as it still looks kinda half-assed.
Blox said he hadn't properly done the gore yet, so it kind of IS. I imagine it will still be a somewhat comical gore-system (?) anyway given the clear opposition to reality presented here. :P

But yeah, it's a bit spastic at the moment, needs to be refined a bit before the pace-increase will be balanced. Those shotgunners really are a nightmare.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I'd like to see the gore scripted out of the same 3 blood splat sprites in so many various ways.

I'd typo it "Burtal Domo"

Overall this weapon mod has a 'quakec patch' feel to it so far

Return to “Gameplay Mods”