Burl Tumd (Last updated 8/11/13)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Big C

Re: Burl Tumd: Contains absolutely no racial slurs or real g

Post by Big C »

Keep in mind that humor means different things to different people.

That much said, yes. Weapon slots. Also I think that there could be a dual-wield mode for the pistols where primary and secondary fire each fire a different pistol, and then have altfire for a single-pistol pickup attach the silencer.
Vict

Post by Vict »

Big C wrote:Because the advertising might put off some people.
Specifically knocking other mods in your topic post is not "Advertising".

This:
Eric_ wrote:
Sergeant Mark IV wrote:just because you can't make a half decent wad
is:
Eric_ wrote:It's been less than two months since you made that remark, Sarge. It's been about a month since I started work on this. Are you ready to eat your words?
not:
Eric_ wrote:Also includes much faster gameplay, based on efficiency and speed rather than needless gore and power fantasy fulfillment

necessary:
Eric_ wrote:if you came here looking for headshots or fatalities, I'm afraid you're out of luck. There's no need to reload or use iron sights, either

If you want to make a mod then cool, all the power to you. Do not advertise your mod with "Fuck X mod, so I made my own."
That is why I am so disturbed about this.

I don't care how good or bad the mod is, this is unacceptable.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

How would it be beneficial to cramp up weapon slots when it's not needed? From my perspective, it's much easier to hit a key once and get the weapon I need, rather than hitting the key too many times and ending up wasting several seconds trying to get the weapon I need. If you can give me actual reasons beyond "That's what we're used to", I'll consider changing it.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Eric_ wrote:How would it be beneficial to cramp up weapon slots when it's not needed? From my perspective, it's much easier to hit a key once and get the weapon I need, rather than hitting the key too many times and ending up wasting several seconds trying to get the weapon I need. If you can give me actual reasons beyond "That's what we're used to", I'll consider changing it.
What we're used to causes many to instinctively hit a specific key to get what they desire, running around in the doom universe you expect the weapons to be on the slots you remembered them to be. It just ramps up the learning curve, it takes time to get used to and that puts some people off, it can cause frustrating moments. Thats the reason, do something about it or don't.
Last edited by .+:icytux:+. on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Vict wrote:I don't care how good or bad the mod is, this is unacceptable.
Get your worthless morals out of here. You want to comment on the gameplay, fine, but if you don't like the name then just rename it to DynamoandEricaredumb.pk3 or whatever you want. It doesn't matter nor is it relevant.

Also:

01:36 <Essay> don't a lot of mods start because of another mod
Last edited by Dynamo on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Vict wrote:If you want to make a mod then cool, all the power to you. Do not advertise your mod with "Fuck X mod, so I made my own."
That is why I am so disturbed about this.

I don't care how good or bad the mod is, this is unacceptable.
I really wonder why nobody complained when I jokingly titled ww-terror "Police Brutality."

[edit] Also, anybody else remember the saga of Doom: Rampage Edition and the mod made in response, "A Better Wad I Pulled Out Of My Ass"? Wonder why it's okay for that one and not for this?
Gez

Post by Gez »

I guess that was simply far too subtle for the people who think they have to defend Brutal Doom's honor.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

And not "brutal" enough for the people who can't refrain from expressing their hate towards Brutal Doom.
Big C

Post by Big C »

.+:icytux:+. wrote:And not "brutal" enough for the people who can't refrain from expressing their hate towards Brutal Doom.
Some of us don't mind the mod but are tired of the author's apparent inability to avoid generating drama. Drama surrounding him means checking into the thread is like putting my face against a belt sander.
Last edited by Big C on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

At first the changed weapon slots did have me confused and cost me my life but I got used to it very quickly and found that it didn't hinder gameplay all that much.
Just became a matter of knowing which weapon belonged to which key.

Played this with some of the finished FM maps, it was pretty fun.

Also I didn't want to get involved with the inevitable drama this thread would cause but I'm going to throw in my two cents anyway.
If you're here to make complaints about stuff in the mod that you don't like (e.g. weapon slot issue) then that's okay. If you don't like the way it plays, that's fine too.

But really, while the mod makes direct references to Brutal Doom, they're insignificant and can be ignored, nay, should be ignored. It's not worth making a fuss over if you're only complaint is "it mocks X mod."

If anyone should get all bothered and have emotions about this thread and mod, it should be Brutal Doom's author. I don't see why anyone else should be fighting his battles (not saying that there's a battle that should be fought here in the first place).

In conclusion, while I don't support the way the mod was conceived and the mode of its release, Brutal Doom and its author are not exactly on the high ground here either - so let's ignore that and play the mod. If anyone has any reason to be bothered, it should be someone who actually helped make Brutal Doom.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

This is pretty damn good. It's actually similar to a personal mod I made (not releasing it because I haven't got permission to use the resources). I have 3 suggestions:
1. Make the pistol/silenced pistol into one weapon, with altfire switching between silenced and regular.
2. Chaingun is a little weird spinning up and firing at the same time. Also, I think the altfire needs to spin up the gun, but not fire it until you push the primary fire (I've got example code if you need help with that).
3. Make the BFG rip through enemies.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Vict wrote: disturbed about this.
Vict wrote:I don't care how good or bad the mod is, this is unacceptable.
True comedy.
Doomguy 2000

Post by Doomguy 2000 »

The mod gave a few good laughs, but that's about it. The only thing that I liked was the interesting blood effects and that's about it. Why do we have only slots 1 and 2 sharing only 2 weapons and others spread out all the way to slot 9? There's also another Brutal Doom parody that Jack101 plans on doing in the near future. Hopefully it's much better than this pointless mod.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

So weapons mods are pointless. Wonderful. I'm glad you're on a modding forum, then.
Big C

Post by Big C »

He was saying that this particular mod is pointless in his opinion, Ventris. While that's not a very helpful opinion either, do you really need to put more coal on the flames when people are already irritated anyway?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”