NEW PROJECT: VIGILANTE (welcome back to the 80s). UPDATE!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Caleb26

NEW PROJECT: VIGILANTE (welcome back to the 80s). UPDATE!

Post by Caleb26 »

I'm still finishing my other project Wolfendoom: Spear Revisited. But this one is on my mind for a long time.

Working title: Vigilante/Exterminator

I always loved this poster.

The goal:
- Tribute to the 80s vigilante movies like Death Wish series and Exterminator 1/2. I'd love to create such an atmosphere maybe using a specific palette?
- To create an 80s/ early 90s action movies feel like. I've already started to rip movie like gun sounds and remastering them, adding more bass ect. (for eg. Dirty Harry series Magnum sound, the awesome ak47 80s/90s sound - I always loved that sound it's so badass, and many others)

Construction/ideas:

The first idea is to continue Exterminator 2 story about John Eastland - a man they pushed too far. Then again I think It'll be easier to create totally unknown person (Charles Bronson/Robert Ginty mix) and let him have his own story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_g2hbl0Jk

The game will have chapters - 6 chapters in all - 3/4 levels per chapter. First half of the game will take place in New York and the second half in LA.
It'll feature classic 80s movie soundtrack (some tracks directly from Death wish series and some from other 80s movies like Exterminator2/Revenge of the Ninja/Navy Seals ect.
I'm also thinking about recording some dialogs - or just one-liners like Duke or Caleb(Blood) had .(but that will come later)
And yes this whole project is going to look like Build engine game with Zdoom special features (I love how Zblood looks and I'd love to bring some of it's look to my project)
- destructive environment (breakable windows/ and others like in DN3d/Blood/SW.)
Some levels will take place at night and some at day time.
I have lots of ideas for specific levels like
- warehouse where the mob meeting is taking place
- park (something similar to Death Wish 2 park shootout and more)
- subway (first underground on foot then travel by subway car)
- some dark alleys /rooftops (this mod will feature lot's of dark passageways)
- mall
- whorehouse
- cinema
- chinatown
and others.

This is just a test map. I wanted to know how to create a breakable glass. Now I know.

I need help with weapon and enemy sprites. I'm not a sprite artist If someone would like to join the project then I'd be very grateful.
As you can see It's a very ambitious project. Together we can make it happen.
Here's what I/we will need
- weapon sprites (Ingram Mac10, ak47, dirty harry's magnum44, pistol - the one that Bronson was carrying I'm not exactly sure what's the name, machine gun - (remember the final shootout in RAW DEAL?).
- enemy sprites (different types of street punks - just watch some Death Wish 2 or 3 scenes to find out how should they look some of them will carry a pistol and some of them ak47,
- black/brown suit mafia thugs with Wayfarer sunglasses usually with MAC10's.
- motorcycle thug (when you'll shoot this guy his motorcycle will go boom).

More to come.

About the textures - I think that most of Kingpin textures will work. Also some Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem textures. But I'll need to find some specific textures to match the 80s/ early 90s atmosphere.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR SPRITE AND TEXTURE ARTISTS. MAPPERS ARE ALSO WELCOME.
Last edited by Caleb26 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: NEW PROJECT: VIGILANTE (welcome back to the 80s).

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I've always wanted to see an Action Movie styled mod!
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

I know what you mean. Even know I love to shoot some thugs in my test maps with all these classic gun shoot / ricochet sounds (I'm using custom strife actors (from Realm667) for testing I gave them new sounds and more agressiveness). Right know I'm ripping more KINGPIN textures and thinking about the construction of CHAPTER 01 - MAP01 Warehouse Mayhem. Just look at the Exterminator 2 trailer and see what kind of dark atmosphere I want to create here:)
Also you'll be able to burn all these thugs with your Flamethrower (Burning animation from Blood).
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I hope the wad isn't bulked by music. MIDI transcriptions would be cool though. Jimmy Page's score for DW2 would translate well to Doom FM timbres for a similar distinctive synth sound, ditto for Alan Sylvestri's Delta Force theme :P.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Caleb26 wrote:[[gigantic quote snipped; it's just the first post again anyway. -mgmt]]
I would love to help out with this. Exterminator 1 is one of my favorite movies (I like the second one too, though it's a lot more cheesy).
I don't imagine I would have any trouble making a John Eastland sprite as he appears on the Exterminator 2 poster.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Yes please. I really need some sprites of thugs and our hero of course.
And no don't worry this project will not be bulked by the music. It will contain both ogg/mid files.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Caleb26 wrote:Yes please. I really need some sprites of thugs and our hero of course.
And no don't worry this project will not be bulked by the music. It will contain both ogg/mid files.
Yeah, I can probably do some thugs too. I like the idea of continuing the Exterminator story; I actually wanted to do a mod based on the movies a long time ago, but never really had the coding experience.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Thanks. I'll appreciate any help.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Excellent! I have my hopes up for this one. Can't wait to see what the end result will look like, good luck with this.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, I remember a video store near me displaying this poster for months:
Spoiler:
Good luck with the project. It sounds interesting.
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Here's the sprite concept I got for Eastland:

Credits: Globe, Enjay
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Looks great. I love it.
WORrior

Post by WORrior »

Caleb26 wrote:(...) pistol - the one that Bronson was carrying I'm not exactly sure what's the name (...)
Wildey! I'm utterly enjoying Death Wish movies. Moreso, that Expendable poster remind me of that little arcade gem called NARC:
Spoiler:
When it comes to weapons, do you stll consider using centered HUD sprites or all of them should be angled?
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

I think I'll stick to angled weapons. Maybe you'd like to help ? I have one sprite artist already. The more the better.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:I've always wanted to see an Action Movie styled mod!
... Action Doom? :p

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”