[ZDCMP2] RC1 released (yay, it's not mordeth'd)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [ZDCMP2] RC1 released (yay, it's not mordeth'd)

Post by Ed the Bat »

I see. I figured some pretty major crap was going down to warrant that kind of lag. Of course, if I can't see or play anymore, it doesn't really matter how pretty the effects are/would be...

And on a personal note, regarding falling in fire and burning to death, I'm really not a fan of that effect, watching my health drain away helplessly until it hits zero. If I'm doomed, just kill me already. Why drag it out? Incidentally, I also noticed that the scream sound is apparently called explicitly, instead of something like *xdeath, since imported custom characters would still let out Marine's girlish shriek of anguish.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I still LOVE the way this came out; now we can finish up Hpack!!!! That thins is, as well, teetering on being done (I've also submitted new mappery in the latest month so yeah!)
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

ShadesMaster wrote:That thins is, as well, teetering on being done
We still need to work on the Sons of D'Sparil, and I really want to clean up the monster lineup so there isn't as much redundant monsters (I'm writing an article on that, by the way, so people know what I mean :P).
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I agree... though some things SHOULD stay! I like the Ophidian / Weredragon / Chaos Serpent alternates... as in the recolours... but other things are repetitive... I still feel Vulgars should be replaced by smile gargoyles for example. If the Horn Beast is still there, remove it!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I noticed my computer slowing slightly as the generator was lowering but I still had a very playable frame rate. Once the platform had stopped moving, there was no obvious slow-down for me at all. (Playing with GZDoom.)

I wonder if it is possible to stagger the effects? Would it be particularly noticeable if the rocks didn't start spawning until after the platforms had stopped moving? Are there places where pockets of monsters need not be awoken until the player(s) cross a nearby line? Could the spawning rock effects be similarly compartmentalised?

It is a really effective section of the game and I really enjoyed it. The various effects really added to it. However, if it is making things unplayable for some people, then it would be a good idea to address the issues if it is possible to do so.

[edit] grammar
Last edited by Enjay on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The end part could definitely use some optimization. It needs to be done by somebody with a lower-end computer, though, for proper testing -- the reason it is how it is is that I have a rather beefy computer myself and only get mild lag when viewing the entire generator+bridge in Software mode (i.e. no rock/enemy slowdowns).
Sgt Dopey
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Sgt Dopey »

It looks great so far its challenging and fun to play. The only thing I dislike so far is the Objectives and log thingys, I find them distracting.
Spoiler: Also
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Sgt Dopey wrote:
Spoiler: Also
Spoiler:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Heh, well during development I put that there as a placeholder to emphasise the emptiness of that area (I was hoping someone would build a cool building exterior.) Instead it remained, and was 'modified' by Xaser! :lol:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I've actually never touched it since its addition, for the record. :P
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Xaser wrote:I've actually never touched it since its addition, for the record. :P
So it's not a shoutout to "I;m Hitler"?
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

An unintended one, maybe? :P
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

Wait, wut? I thought it made bossbrain noises when it was shot. I didn't do that. :lol:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, as a German I will just keep my mouth shut now ;)
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

Tormentor667 wrote:Well, as a German I will just keep my mouth shut now ;)
But, Tormentor, it's a joke! Therefore it's fine to laugh with us =p

Return to “Levels”