TiberiumDoom : Final 2.0.3 Altfires! WOOOOO

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: TiberiumDoom : Final 2.0.3

Post by TiberiumSoul »

Holy fuck its been ages no releases yet, but i do have a small changelog of whats coming in 2.0.3 which i swear to you all will be the final release that I put up... (for the public anyway) because let's face it every mod maker has one or two sometimes even three mods that are their babies and no matter what... in most cases you cant not keep working on them its my curse...

All reloading weapons Quad Shotgun not included because it actually has an altfire that isn't reloading, have been converted to use the reload key so that means the guns will FINALLY be getting altfire functions :D!

The Weapon : The Altfire Function

Pistol : Fire Selector between Semi , Burst and Full Auto fire, Magazine increased from 15 to 30
Shotgun : Slug Shells, Shotgun has to be empty in order to switch shell types
Assault Rifle : ??? Feed me some ideas
Rocket Launcher : ??? Feed me some ideas
Heavy Rifle : Fire Selector between Semi and Full Auto Fire
Nailgun : ??? Feed me some Ideas
Plasma Rifle : Ionized Plasma Vent
Railgun : It has a scope lets make it usable shall we?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Re: TiberiumDoom : Final 2.0.3 Altfires! WOOOOO

Post by chronoteeth »

a grenade launcher alt fire for a rocket launcher is always very nice
bouncing nails, slower fire but very useful
as for the AR you could give it, idk a tracer shot or somethin? they're essentially ignited bullets anyways
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

richocheting nails for altfire, grenade launcher alt for rockets and for the rifle im thinking prescision shots like a sniping mode or something

but i tried the bouncing nails once before and i could no get it to work
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Just saw the gameplay video and I was thoroughly impressed. I may have to play this over Complex Doom. Just a few questions.. Any way to disable the tracers through a hotkey, ala disable effects? I must commend you on the work for the Loudmouth Quad, it looks pretty darn good, and has a touch of Tiberium in it I can see! I think an altfire for the Rocket Launcher would also suffice, given we don't have to fight Annihilators and Dark Cyberdemons to obtain them.. though hunting monsters for weapons was always a fun thing for me to do and gave me incentive to kill everything that moved. Lastly, the Assault Rifle (or Heavy?) sprites are BOMB. Very great work you did with extending them beyond the stock sprite work!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

TiberiumSoul wrote:richocheting nails for altfire, grenade launcher alt for rockets and for the rifle im thinking prescision shots like a sniping mode or something

the problem is that you dont want to delve into too much "me-too"ness feeling of the guns

for example, a shotgun shooting slugs (a big bullet) is, whilst not the same exactly, similar to an anti material rifle/sniper rifle (again, a big bullet)

if the ar has a sniper mode then combined with the alt fires of the pistol and the anti tank, that makes essentially 4 weapons that have the same functionality: an accurate longer range slower bullet shot. when that ends up being the case their uses for that mode get overshadowed by the better ones.

stuff like that works better in a base sort of "doom heiarchy", aka "chaingun is better than pistol, chainsaw is better than fists, you wont be going back to those weapons much at all after getting the better stuff" but you have a lot of weapons and strive for more balance

Basically, unique alt fires really do mean a lot when it comes to diversity in weapon useage
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

under barrel grenades for the rifle then? cause i honestly dont know what else to do man... it was easier in insanity's requiem but i've since abandoned that i planned on finishing a few last minute things and releasing it for resource pilfering
Water Hazard

Post by Water Hazard »

It's kind of becoming rare finding an mod with a cool Assault Rifle/Grenade Launcher combo...
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Master key, or some kind of under barrel sniper rifle?
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Underbarrel shotgun? maybe with a special effect such as freezing or burning, not as strong as the actual shotguns, but good enough to have as a secondary function.
Doomguy5th

Re: TiberiumDoom : Final 2.0.3

Post by Doomguy5th »

TiberiumSoul wrote:Holy fuck its been ages no releases yet, but i do have a small changelog of whats coming in 2.0.3 which i swear to you all will be the final release that I put up... (for the public anyway) because let's face it every mod maker has one or two sometimes even three mods that are their babies and no matter what... in most cases you cant not keep working on them its my curse...

All reloading weapons Quad Shotgun not included because it actually has an altfire that isn't reloading, have been converted to use the reload key so that means the guns will FINALLY be getting altfire functions :D!

The Weapon : The Altfire Function

Pistol : Fire Selector between Semi , Burst and Full Auto fire, Magazine increased from 15 to 30
Shotgun : Slug Shells, Shotgun has to be empty in order to switch shell types
Assault Rifle : ??? Feed me some ideas
Rocket Launcher : ??? Feed me some ideas
Heavy Rifle : Fire Selector between Semi and Full Auto Fire
Nailgun : ??? Feed me some Ideas
Plasma Rifle : Ionized Plasma Vent
Railgun : It has a scope lets make it usable shall we?
I got ya some ideas, and I think I might be waiting for this so I could do a WAD with this. Any good WADs out there to play with this mod? I actually can't wait for the next release, so I could mess around with weapon special abilities. Because zooming into a weapon and going semi-auto automatically just doesn't suit me that much. I'm not saying I hate other mods. It's just that one concept.

Assault Rifle : Idea 1: Iron sights, and if you could, could you make the ROF a little faster, and give it a chance for jamming?
Idea 2: Alternate Shotgun Attachment or Flashlight Attachment, but could be configured in the inventory menu?

Rocket Launcher : Make a weapon special feature using ACS, and with an actor that goes GoWeaponSpecialAbility, and put a puke on that... idk. But my point is, make it switch modes, like normal mode to grenade mode (fires a rocket grenade), and homing mode (fires a homing rocket, but for balancing reasons, waste 2 rockets?)

Nailgun : I've done this before, but how does a nail shotgun mode sound to you?
Railgun : Idea 1: Scope idea is already good, but I was thinking make a weapon special feature for it where instead of firing the thing in giant bursts, you could fire it in small weak plasma bursts. Like a Quake 4 Scoped Hyperblaster.
TiberiumSoul wrote:richocheting nails for altfire, grenade launcher alt for rockets and for the rifle im thinking prescision shots like a sniping mode or something

Ricocheting nails and a grenade launcher alt-fire kinda feel the same doh. They both bounce off the walls, and they just get everything out of your way. The only difference is, one explodes, and another just make a tinkling noise. Somehow, the heavy rifle looks really good for a sniper rifle.
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

sniper rifle? thaaaaaats the railgun's job :P

also i tried the bouncing nails but they dont look very good without the trail effect which only spawns for fast projectiles... so im going to make the altfire into something else... perhaps double shots or something
Henix_Aurorus

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

chronoteeth wrote:for example, a shotgun shooting slugs (a big bullet) is, whilst not the same exactly, similar to an anti material rifle/sniper rifle (again, a big bullet)
Not even close. 99.9% of the time slugs are really just big, cylindrical chunks of lead. They have terrible aerodynamics and very little penetration, but pack a lot of punch into a much more accurate shot.

Shotgun-related technicalities out of the way (I've been watching too much Demolition Ranch), the mod is an interesting concept, and I quite enjoy the unique and different functionality of the weapons. However, I'm going to reserve final judgement for the next version, as my #1 problem that made me stop playing was how incredibly clunky the quad-shotty currently is, what with the whole "primary fire fires one barrel, secondary either fires all four or one" thing. It should really be checking if it has 4 shells in, and if it doesn't, automatically jumping to reload instead of firing individual barrels. It's a lot harder to use the quad shotgun efficiently when you have to completely empty the shotgun manually before you can fire off a quad-burst. Seemingly the only way to make it work efficiently is to just fire barrels individually, at which point you might as well just use the regular shotgun.

In other words, I'd personally like to see the quad shotgun functioning more like, say, Hard Doom's, rather than... like it currently does.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ok... I have some suggestions for stuff...

For the Assault Rifle, make an alt-fire where you can use the iron sights. I see that the rifle you use here is based on the same rifle weapon that I see is also being implemented in Brutal Doom 20 and Brutal Doom J 20, so you can base the iron sights sprite frames from those, or make your own from scratch, based on what you feel would look right for the gun.

For the Rocket Launcher, I've seen many mods use a bouncing grenade alt-fire. However, I ain't going to stop there, since leaving it like that just wouldn't make sense. First, I suggest that you make separate grenade ammo. Individual grenades and boxes should spawn randomly in the place of rockets and rocket boxes, respectfully, and the player can carry as many grenades as he can rockets. Going back to the rocket launcher, if it doesn't reload already, it should have a specific magazine size (say, 5 or 6), and by using alt-fire, the player can swap out rockets for grenades, or grenades for rockets.

If that sounds too complicated, here's another option... seeker missile mode. Brutal Doom J uses them, and it works beautifully. Aside from Russian Overkill, it was the only other mod that I know of that uses homing missiles for the rocket launcher, not counting the use of Revenant Rocket Launchers.

I've no clue what the Nailgun here even does, so I'll throw out some ideas for what I've known various Nailguns have done throughout various mods.
- Nailguns do high damage, so to compensate, they fire somewhat slower than other automatic weapons.
- Some are slow-firing super-OP shotguns. I'm thinking of the Nailgun from Quake 3 and the Nail Shotgun from Project MSX, here.
- Nailgun projectiles can pierce through multiple enemies and can be great for sniping, due to high damage and super-slow fire rate, if it fires one at a time.

And finally, I know you wanted to implement slug shot for your shotgun, so I think the best approach there is to make two shell types. In "The Space Pirate" there is a shotgun that accepts four types of shells, but it can only use one type at a time, so you have to unload the shotgun before you can load it with new shells. It automatically does that when you select a different shell type to load into the shotgun, which is awesome, and then you can pick up the unused shells you just unloaded. I think that's what needs to happen here.

What do you think?
TiberiumSoul

Post by TiberiumSoul »

maybe in future releases but as it stands right now i just want to work on the functionality before i work on any animations for the altfires

in other news TiberiumDoom will be moving back to Zandronum for the 3.0 release i tested it in the alpha build and it actually fucking works :D!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Only Zandronum? Not GZDoom? :(

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”