Doom Expanded [VERSION 2.0: COMING SOON]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: Doom Expanded Final [RELEASE]

Post by -Ghost- »

I think I noticed a missing frame in the BFG firing animation. About a second or two into firing the gun dissapears, leaving only the glowing muzzle (barrel?) for a second before the BFG reappears, then disappears again, then reappears firing a moment later.
BlueFireZ88
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Do you have a screenshot of this happening?

This shouldn't be possible as the gun and the muzzle flashes are combined together for the firing sprites.

On a related note:

For those that wanted to try this with DTWID: The Lost Episodes, please try loading Expanded after LE otherwise there are blatant texture errors.

Unfortunately, I have no explanation to why that happens, but it seems to work perfectly fine if loaded second.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Hmm, it only seems to be happening when I play Back to Saturn with the alternate HUD on alongside Doom expanded.

EDIT: It may be related to what you just said above, if there can be issues with specific level wads.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Ok, there's an easy fix.

Expanded and any addons need to be loaded AFTER Back To Saturn and it's Dehacked patch.

That's because resources from Back To Saturn are overriding resources from Expanded.

This is very much the same case as I stated above with DTWID: The Lost Episodes.

Also: Did find a minor issue where the BFG didn't light up in the later firing sprites, fixed that with a patch available on the first post, also any new downloads will have this patch already.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Another Minor Patch on the First post, this time for rocket brightmaps. Although this one's optional.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Expanded has something far more powerful than the BFG:

Also: New patch which combines last two patches, but also has a fix for for the Unmaker spirits.
Niwatorry

Post by Niwatorry »

Here's some issues you may not know:
- Zombiemen, sergeants, and commandos' ammo drop are doubled that they originally do.
- In fast monsters, demons won't move as fast as intended.
Not really critical, but it'll be more comfortable if fixed. :wink:

By the way, good work! :)
Combined with Boom-compatible wads it still works very well.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to you sooner Niwatorry.

Anyway, those both were deliberate changes in Expanded. As the clip/shotgun/chaingun were given drop sounds, I took the liberty of adjusting the amount of ammo given so it's consistent with what you picked up off the ground.

Also, the fast demons were toned down as having the monsters respawn and the zombies shoot faster was already maddening enough. This at least gives the player a better chance of survival on Nightmare (although, realistically as I found out, not by much).

I'm glad you enjoy Expanded and I'm grateful for you input on it. There will be some new stuff coming today.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

BlueFireZ88 wrote:Sorry I wasn't able to reply to you sooner Niwatorry.

Anyway, those both were deliberate changes in Expanded. As the clip/shotgun/chaingun were given drop sounds, I took the liberty of adjusting the amount of ammo given so it's consistent with what you picked up off the ground.

Also, the fast demons were toned down as having the monsters respawn and the zombies shoot faster was already maddening enough. This at least gives the player a better chance of survival on Nightmare (although, realistically as I found out, not by much).

I'm glad you enjoy Expanded and I'm grateful for you input on it. There will be some new stuff coming today.
The clips, shotguns and chainguns have less ammo in them when filched from a zombie because they've been used by their previous owner and thus aren't full. I always thought that was pretty obvious. And no one really plays Nightmare expecting to survive anyways, so there's no real point to trying to make it more survivable. :P
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

Look, that's what I did with it, and I ain't changing it.

Anyway, here's some things I've been meaning to get around too:

First, a full Let's Play of MAP18 (The Courtyard) from Doom 2:

Second, the first post has been updated for three things:
1.A fix for some of the levels in Thy Flesh Consumed seperate from Expanded (includes E4M3, E4M4, and E4M7).
2.An updated version of Blue Shadow's Expanded HUD with some minor fix-ups, changes, and feature additions (checking for armor type, green or blue).
3.An updated version of Expanded adding in the two previous features into its zip file.

I hope everyone enjoys the new materials!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for adding that armor type thing, that was my only issue with the alt HUD.
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

No prob man. :)
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

In light of the recent release of GZDoom 1.7.0, Blue Shadow and I took into account a noted change for the default Alternate HUD, something that wouldn't be wise to overlook.

So, now the Expanded HUD now indicates that you picked up the Berserk powerup in the form of a black cross next the the health indicator.

You can download the updated HUD on the first post and the HUD's been included in new downloads of Expanded as well.

Have a Happy Holiday everyone!
BlueFireZ88

Post by BlueFireZ88 »

It's been a while ZDoomers, but Expanded is back and updated, with even more good stuff than before!

Per suggestion of members of Doomworld, a "Classic Sound" version of Expanded has been released as a pack-in Extra and as a seperate release. This removes the new sounds and music from Expanded to be more faithful to the vanilla games in terms of audio presentation and to address common complaints with the sound choices for normal Expanded.

New ACS coding has been added (with thanks to Blue Shadow) to deal with issues presented by GZDoom's Compatibility Options (mainly weapon/clip drops) to both versions of Expanded (normal and classic sound).

The official Expanded download (Expanded+CS.pk3) not only has the ACS update and Expanded_CS packed in, but all previous updates and addons (Patch 1-1, E4Fix, and DE_HUD_B+) are all present and accounted for with new downloads for the most complete Expanded experience yet.

Head to the first post of the thread to grab Expanded or the separate Classic Sound release.

Please, let me know what you think of Expanded_CS, or anything about Expanded you want to suggest or mention!
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

BlueFireZ88 wrote: New ACS coding has been added
Does it uses named scripts? That should clear up basically any problem with 'em.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”