Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Post by Matt »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Nice changes Blox and DoomRater. I'm thinking about inserting your modifications to the official version :D

Blue Shadow wrote:I'm amazed at how that particular map/hub made some of you just give up that easily on the game!
Precisely because the second map gives the impression that the entire game is going to be an intellectually unengaging, long, confusing, long switch hunt.

That and I've noticed I get motion sick very easily after playing Hexen, though I suspect that's mostly from playing as Baratus and not being able to keep up with the ridiculously high speeds.

EDIT: Just played Hexen again as Daedalon, with Hexercise autoloaded. Yes, it's the speed, though I suppose the disorientation of being in the middle of things doesn't help.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

I only ever got motion sickness playing the N64 version, never on a computer.

Edit: I think I know why some Doom compatibility was added- so that Wolfen would work for the most part. I'm getting points from some of the bosses!
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Uh... this is worth a bump- I got to Mouse in Wolfen (had to clip through the door because the books weren't working) and two swings from the Quietus put her down. I think it's just a teeny tiny bit overpowered, no?
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

@DoomRater
Yeah, I agree that the quietus is a little OP
When playing BH in Doom, you can kill a spiderdemon in one quietus altfire and a cyberdemon in two.

-TZK
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Sun May 26, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vict

Post by Vict »

DoomRater wrote:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2129633/Brutal ... Mod_DR.pk3

This has Blox's wide attack in it, but...
-Ready code rewritten so that flechette is WAY more responsive, though I likely screwed up the frame display
-altfire shield bashes while holding fire protects with the shield while you're charging up
Interesting changes, but I've found a few potential problems with them.

First, the axe combo seems to be even harder to pull off because pressing attack after a swing will sometimes raise the shield again immediately, this also lets you "poke" enemies from behind the shield while minimizing damage to yourself.

Second, the shield bash seems to be way overpowered now. With the level 2 damage increase you can hold altfire and just stunlock most fodder enemies to death while avoiding damage entirely. I've noticed that it works on Ettins and Centaurs so far, maybe adding a cooldown to the shield bash so it can't be rapid-fired?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

The attack you're doing instead of the combo is actually the wide attack which doesn't combo for some reason. It should be made more clear that's the wide attack, and the poke part of it reduced like crazy.

Was thinking the same about the shield bash but I figured I'd leave that up to Sarge to do.
Biosyn

Post by Biosyn »

Greetings to all.

Good to see Brutal Hexen being worked. I've whipped up a fatality for Fighter to perform on the Chaos Serpent. Might Sarge be interested?

Main sequence:

Post sequence, main torso:

Post sequence, upper torso:

What happens simply is that Fighter slides under the serpent, nearly missing getting its jaws clamped on him, mounts it, force feeds it a flechette bottle (couldn't find a sprite for it anywhere...), and dismounts. Then the serpent gets a really upset stomach.

The first animation is the main one, the second is when the player resumes FPS view and the third is simply the upper torso flying off the main body.

Might work on the Chaos Serpent's revenge.
Woolie Wool
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

That is hilarious to watch.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

This just gets better and better :D
commander

Post by commander »

About the attack system. Its a little bit annoying. I can't attack rapidly without killing my mouse. :(
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

Biosyn wrote:I've whipped up a fatality for Fighter to perform on the Chaos Serpent. Might Sarge be interested?
*stuff*
Nice. I'm assuming the fatality wont work if you don't have a flechette bottle. Anyway, I found a bug for the Serpent: when you attack him, he seems to flicker between the pain and the first death frame.
Darkpl

Post by Darkpl »

Wow, you guys work fast. Just read the whole thread and love how this project just keep getting better and better.

Also love that animation Byosin, it's pretty good. But I think the flechette should be visible somewhere in it, since it can be hard to make out what is happening at the end, maybe a little pause (to take out a flechette) before throwing it in the serpent's mouth?
NachtIntellect

Post by NachtIntellect »

This wad is looking good so far, all it needs now is a little Hexen Metal like the Doom Metal to set the theme of the mod.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

good god groovy gorgeous gory FATALITY!!!
omg can't wait for next verson of the Brutal Hexen!
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

You probably already caught this, but one of the types of torches (I'm thinking its one of the switchable kind) is glitched; its missing the Beautiful Doom flames, and for part of its animation, it loses the flame and appears to jump up and to the left due to its offsets. You can see this in action in the Seven Portals, just inside one of the entrances to the Guardians of Steel or Fire.
Spoiler:
Also, I think that the ready states for the weapons should sheck for the "player pressed the flechette key" dummy item more often, so flechette usage can be a bit more responsive. SInce those were never meant to be interrupted by weapon usage, and the enemies are more mobile now, I feel it's a bit annoying to score a hit with 'em now.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”