Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Gothic

Re: Brutal HeXen - Alpha Released

Post by Gothic »

I'm not sure about how the crossbow looks, maybe these sprites would help
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Well technically you could shield bash before, during and after the combo for a total of three shieldbashes. It sure is tricky and when it comes down to it, they don't come off very fast, but being able to block instantly after hitting with the axe is worth it.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Simply awesome. hammer is sorta simple though, i was hoping for some combos with that too, or at leas a shield.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

LordMo wrote:Image
Very awesome! I'm gonna implement this right now! Gonna make the fatality happen if you hit the Affrit with the shield bash. Just wondering, do you have plans for making more of this? :D

@doomer1, yeah, but it already is a very powerful weapon and I think that adding a combo for it would make the hammer totally overpower. Maybe I could make a combo that would make it waste more mana for a more powerful attack.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So I've played this a little more, and here is how i feel the kit is balanced, and any problems with weapons currently.

Shield and Axe: 2 hit combos kill, and they attack signifcantly faster than in original hexen, which makes it a pretty powerful weapon, in my opinion, much better than the hammer as it is. also the shield sometimes does not block attacks, im not sure why but perhaps it has to do with code? i notice if they are too close. if they are farther away i dont have this problem.

Crossbow: its good but there really should be some sort of secondary to it, maybe a homing bolt, or a barrage of them like in heretic. the primary is pretty powerful in my opinion, but because of the application of it i feel its reasonable.

Hammer: its pretty comparable to the original, except that the secondary does more damage, and takes up ALOT more mana. also there is no shield with this, despite that it is one handed. i feel that the magic in this weapon is lacking a little. perhaps the secondary should be the primary, and the secondary should be a large area damage attack, like a ground smash; or like the minotaur from heretics' flame trail; maybe even a flame wave, with a left to right sweep; something.

Sword: even though this is not done yet, the way it feels now its the next logical step, not overly powerful from the rest. maybe some update graphics, and of course melee. longer range than the axe, 1 shot kills to lizards and ettins, and fairly fast with more intricate combos.

Keep up the good work mate :)
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Thanks for your review, Doomer1. I'm gonna take it into consideration.

Okay guys, I decided to include fatalities on it as long I get enough help. I have plans to insert a score system, and when the player reach let's say, 3000 points, he gets 5 extra max health bonus and it often improves stuff like weapon accuracy, weapon damage, etc. Fatalities will not give health regen like in Brutal Doom and the player will still be able to take damage during the execution, but will make the monster kill give 3x more points.

I think that Fatalities should only belong to Baratus, since he is the "badass melee guy" here. I will make the monsters sometimes enter in a near death state (similiar to Brutal Doom's crawling zombies) and the player will able to perform a fatality on it if he bashes the shield. My current fatality ideas:

Ettin: Punches it in the face 3 times then throw it on the ground, and stomp it until the body explodes.
Demon: Removes it head (like the Doom Guy removes the Demon's head in Brutal Doom)
Centaur: Rips it in the chest (like the Doom Guy rips the Archvile in Brutal Doom), then it gets back to first person, and the player is able to throw the centaur's chest at enemies and do a big damage.
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

Or alternatively the fatality for the Ettin would involve ripping the heads off and such. Or another creative way is ripping the chains off the Ettin, use them to beat it with them (I think the chains that the Ettin is wearing can be used for something like grabbing hold of them or something I don't know) and finally ripping their heads off.

The Demon I can imagine ripping the horns off and shoving them on the eye or head or chest.

The Centaur I think Brutus can use it's own sword against it or something.
Last edited by Jinal on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

What happened here?

LordMo

Post by LordMo »

I never finished the animation.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

I finished it
Jinal

Post by Jinal »

You know another idea I had that the most brutal 3rd person fatalities can be reserved for Brutus (since...well it's his name remember?) while the first person fatalities can be reserved for the cleric.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

The problem with First Person Fatalities is that they are ten times harder to draw than 3rd person ones. That's why I haven't added them anywhere yet.
LordMo

Post by LordMo »

Yeah, I have no idea how I'd even try to approach first person death animations. Anyways, I finished up some of the frames a bit more and got clean shots of the frames I used if anyone wants to have a go at something.

ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Jinal wrote:You know another idea I had that the most brutal 3rd person fatalities can be reserved for Brutus (since...well it's his name remember?) while the first person fatalities can be reserved for the cleric.
Actually, his name is Baratus. :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

He he, I do like this animation. I can imagine the afrit making a funny, indignant "gwaaak" noise as it gets pulled from the air. :lol:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”