Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Eric_

Re: Brutal HeXen (Video with first fatalities at Pg.6)

Post by Eric_ »

but adding additional bonus damage for things like if the player is falling/mid-air, aiming high, or attacking the enemy from behind.
I wouldn't mind this if you didn't alert enemies when you hold the axe in preparation to swing.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Vaecrius wrote:That all said, I do have one constructive suggestion: Why not base the shield bash on hitting altfire again, or leave it on primary make it possible to do it while holding down altfire? Right now having to let go of altfire completely feels like the opposite of "hit someone with the thing you're holding right now in front of you".
This. The "Heretic Melee Experiment" allows you to shield bash with the shield up, and it's very useful (although that mod has far too large of a pause between tending the shield bash and being able to swing your weapon).

EDIT: There needs to be a larger window to activate the next swing, because right now the only reliable way to do the two-hit swing is to mash the fire key. Also, if you're going to use a combo system you probably should add more combos to be used by hitting different buttons after the first swing. Otherwise, just have it be "hold down attack to do the two-hit combo, hit alt-fire immediately after the two-hit combo to add a shield bash."
Blox

Post by Blox »

And if you want to lessen the issue further after increasing the "window" in which you can do a second swing in a combo, I'd say you should make the first swing go faster.

Because currently if you miss the combo, you get punched in the face. And that's not really stylish considering you're playing as a "big tough killing machine", is it now.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Blox wrote:And if you want to lessen the issue further after increasing the "window" in which you can do a second swing in a combo, I'd say you should make the first swing go faster.

Because currently if you miss the combo, you get punched in the face. And that's not really stylish considering you're playing as a "big tough killing machine", is it now.
That or trigger a pain state with enough stun to let you back out if you botch the combo.

...that might make it too easy.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Just a quick idea for fatalities: maybe the Mage could cast a finishing spell on his opponents when they're close to dying. If you look at Mortal Kombat, not all the fatalities are ripping people limb from limb. Maybe he could cast a water spell on the Afrit for example.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

0bsidian wrote:Just a quick idea for fatalities: maybe the Mage could cast a finishing spell on his opponents when they're close to dying. If you look at Mortal Kombat, not all the fatalities are ripping people limb from limb. Maybe he could cast a water spell on the Afrit for example.
I pretty much hinted that on Page 8. :wink:
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

Valherran wrote:
0bsidian wrote:Just a quick idea for fatalities: maybe the Mage could cast a finishing spell on his opponents when they're close to dying. If you look at Mortal Kombat, not all the fatalities are ripping people limb from limb. Maybe he could cast a water spell on the Afrit for example.
I pretty much hinted that on Page 8. :wink:
Heh, so you did. :mrgreen:
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

I figured I would post this here. While messing around with sprites, I made this:

Yeah, its not the best because I couldn't add details to the white flow of wind but it gets the concept right.

The Tornado Gauntlets. Don't know if anyone has tried making that yet, but besides the Arc of Death, there is no other weapon in the game that throws enemy in the air. I really enjoyed playing around with the Iron Lich's Tornado and used it to hop on and exit the level quickly in the first level of the third episode.

I figured this would be an excellent weapon for Fighter, seeing that he doesn't have his gauntlets in this mod, and a tornado is a medium range, powerful force of assault, which matches his character well.

How it works?

The Fighter just has to press and hold the primary fire button to create a tornade. The secondary fire key would have it launched towards the enemy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that there is also the possibility of a Fire tornado. That would be nastylicious.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Except that casting spells doesn't fit Fighter's theme at all.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

What DoomRater said. Also, I already finished the Fighter's weapon set.

Beta 1 is released. Check first page!
About the combos, they are much easier to perform now. Instead releasing the fire button and only pressing it in the right moment, you can press it again right after you release it and hold it pressed, and the combo will be performed. Shield bash now is done by double pressing alt fire. Experience, level and perks systems are working.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Some ideas for fatalities!

MAGE - Frost Shards - you know how Frost Shards at close range gets 'absorbed' by the enemy? Well an Ettin fatality could be the mage freezing one of his heads and than using his Sapphire wand to swing FOOUR!!!!
MAGE - Arc of Death - Electrocute a Stalker... the mage uses lightning on the ground (water) **next** to the Stalker, fries him without having to touch him in the animation!
CLERIC - Serpent Staff - we see the Cleric drain a baddie and the baddie gets frail and glows in green veinage before a mace swing makes the dried, weakened husk fall apart!
CLERIC - Firestorm - Flames are slowly conjured along all four Centuar's feet and he does a 'hot potato-type' dance, sword and shield gibbed off! Cleric than hold's Centuars' hands and incinerates him.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Default fire: huge windup. You can cancel this almost entirely by using the shield, which doesn't have as much windup time to ready, then simply hold fire to attack with the double combo.
Crudux Cruo

Re: Brutal HeXen - Alpha Released

Post by Crudux Cruo »

doomer1 wrote:So I've played this a little more, and here is how i feel the kit is balanced, and any problems with weapons currently.

Shield and Axe: 2 hit combos kill, and they attack signifcantly faster than in original hexen, which makes it a pretty powerful weapon, in my opinion, much better than the hammer as it is. also the shield sometimes does not block attacks, im not sure why but perhaps it has to do with code? i notice if they are too close. if they are farther away i dont have this problem.

The axe is still easily the best. very fun, but a little too powerful i feel now that the other weapons have rolled out.
doomer1 wrote: Crossbow: its good but there really should be some sort of secondary to it, maybe a homing bolt, or a barrage of them like in heretic. the primary is pretty powerful in my opinion, but because of the application of it i feel its reasonable.
Good, but what would make me want to use the primary after i unlocked the secondary?
doomer1 wrote: Hammer: its pretty comparable to the original, except that the secondary does more damage, and takes up ALOT more mana. also there is no shield with this, despite that it is one handed. i feel that the magic in this weapon is lacking a little. perhaps the secondary should be the primary, and the secondary should be a large area damage attack, like a ground smash; or like the minotaur from heretics' flame trail; maybe even a flame wave, with a left to right sweep; something.

I really like the way the hammer plays now. it feels powerful, and has a great secondary, although i feel the GFX could be polished, it seems to be a well polished weapon.
doomer1 wrote: Sword: even though this is not done yet, the way it feels now its the next logical step, not overly powerful from the rest. maybe some update graphics, and of course melee. longer range than the axe, 1 shot kills to lizards and ettins, and fairly fast with more intricate combos.
The primary is a useless mana drainer as it stands. it does approximately the same damage as the axe, but a 2 shot combo, and takes mana. as for the secondary, i feel it is overpowered because it is a strait on attack that penetrates everything; its potentially a extremely long range projectile, whereas in the original hexen, it was designed for medium range engagements because it exploded on impact, making it a 1 hit kill weapon to anything but a boss at that range and nothing more. also if all of the shards made contact and is allowed to do its explosive damage, i feel the original would do more damage overall. also, it only uses green mana for primary.

Try playing around with the original in conjunction with the other new weapons and see how it feels; i really like personally the way the old one was balanced, but i'd like a melee attack. If you do stay with this concept, more combo options would be nice; preferably being able to mix the secondary for different effects

Keep up the good work though, its really starting to get good.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

The Quietus primary wastes mana? Damn! it was not supposed to. I think I forgot to doublecheck it's code.
Oh the crossbow still is good to use after you get the alt fire because of it's accuracy. And with the other perk, the primary gets much faster.

Thanks for testing it.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Why not replace the Crossbow thing with this? I think it would fit the Fighter better.
Spoiler:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”