Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
twinkieman93

Re: Somebody said Brutal HeXen? (still WIP)

Post by twinkieman93 »

Replacing the fists is cool, I guess, but don't completely change the balance of the weapons. Baratus is supposed to not have a ranged weapon until he gets his third weapon; that's his primary weakness, you know. If anything, replace the fists with a short sword, like the one that's on his sprite.
commander

Post by commander »

You're BACK! With a BLAST! :rock: I need more mods like this.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

so first, HOLY CRAP!

and then, HOLP CRAP!

one more, HOLY CRAP!

what's next, brutal strife?
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I still say replacing the fists is a bad idea. If anything it would be awesome is we could use the fists with combos and finishers.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

SamVision wrote:I still say replacing the fists is a bad idea. If anything it would be awesome is we could use the fists with combos and finishers.
Agreed.

EDIT: Wait, is he replacing the fists with the axe and shield? In that case, yes. Replace the fists. :P
Last edited by Zombieguy on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Blue Shadow wrote:If you take out the puzzles, then it's not Hexen anymore.
I'm totally okay with Brutal Mottled Monster Melee in that case, for what it's worth.

I am totally on board with Sarge re: rationale for replacing fists with axe and shield.

And "combos and finishers" I believe conflicts with "don't plan to spend more than one month working on this mod".
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Let me just say, this is awesome Sarge!
I'll just pitch in my little things:

- I couldn't care less about the fighter's fists, but it could be used as an equivalent for Brutal Doom's "kick"
- You said Brutal HeXen wasn't going to have fatalities because of lack of sprites and they didn't fit in HeXen. What about first person fatalities? They would work and wouldn't be as hard to sprite.

Also, will Brutal HeXen have some sort of head decapitation system? Like when the player swings an axe at an enemy's head?
I'd LOVE to decapitate some ettins.

-MBF
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

It's kinda sad that despite people's dislike for the original game, they'd still play it but only with this mod. It's like putting ketchup on everything you eat, because you like ketchup even though some of the food you eat you don't like.

Anyway, even though I'm not a fan of the Brutal franchise, I voted "yes", because if this turns out to be a "success", then the game might get more attention and people will start making more maps for it (not particularly to go with the mod, though).
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

On the contrary! Hexen had great ideas and interesting monster and weapon designs, and I actually liked some of the... um, interactive thinky challenge parts (can't say the "p" word b/c of keyboard), it was just all sorely wasted on tediously long, directionless maps that required lots of boring wandering to do anything.

Also it took way too long to kill anything even after the shooting and beating has begun, which I have complete and utter faith that Sarge's project will set out to ameliorate. :P

EDIT: The game could be hugely improved, for example, just by replacing every ettin with two of a smaller one-headed version with fewer hp that moved faster.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, it had all the parts, but the maps failed it. I agree with Shadow, maybe a big mod for Hexen will encourage people to make better maps for it.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

To everyone who's getting lost in Seven Portals: the rest of the game isn't nearly that bad about "puzzles". There are still switch n' key hunts sometimes, but you usually have a way of keeping track of your progress (the second and third hub have switch hunts spanning three maps each, but there is a place in the hub maps which tells you where the switches you haven't gotten yet are).

By the way Vaecrius, how exactly does killing everything in 1-3 hits (barring the mage's starting weapon and the cleric's first two weapons) mean that things take too long to kill? :P
Blox

Post by Blox »

I tried getting past the metal realm twice. It was very dull, confusing - and ultimately I gave up from sheer hopelessness of ever finding the one cryptic passage that I should find.

Twice.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Vaecrius wrote:EDIT: The game could be hugely improved, for example, just by replacing every ettin with two of a smaller one-headed version with fewer hp that moved faster.
The maps are too much cramped to make it work.
Matt

Post by Matt »

@Sarge: Damn, the maps get more cramped later one? :( (20 seconds from my earlier is only a slight exaggeration.)

@ChronoSeth: Feels like a lot more than that, though it could just be a reflection of how bad I am with melee weapons in any game.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I sure as hell hope the player is not going to be as slow as I percieve it to be in that video...

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”