Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Brutal HeXen (Video with first fatalities at Pg.6)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Eric_ wrote:Sometimes it takes one axe swing to kill an ettin. Sometimes it takes 5.
Stop trolling, seriously.
(unless you are talking about the combo swing, which actually deals a lot of damage)
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

I'm not trolling. I don't know if it's the combo. I'm just hitting ettins with the axe, and sometimes they die in one hit, but other times they need 3-5 hits before they go down.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Stop trolling, seriously.
Stop accusing people of trolling who are actually trying to give feedback.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Eric_ wrote:I'm not trolling. I don't know if it's the combo. I'm just hitting ettins with the axe, and sometimes they die in one hit, but other times they need 3-5 hits before they go down.
Then you must be hitting them with the combo. The second hit attack can actually kill an ettin with one hit.
wildweasel wrote:
Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Stop trolling, seriously.
Stop accusing people of trolling who are actually trying to give feedback.
Ok, sorry.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Then you must be hitting them with the combo.
Then there needs to be some clearer indication of what the combo is, because my axe had the same attack animation for every swing.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Eric_ wrote:
Then you must be hitting them with the combo.
Then there needs to be some clearer indication of what the combo is, because my axe had the same attack animation for every swing.
Well, there is. You swing differently if you've pulled it off.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Then we're back to square one, because I was oneshotting ettins with the normal axe swing.
Sergeant_Mark_IV

This is the first combo. When you swing the axe like this, you deal double damage and with luck can kill an healthy ettin with one hit.
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

Actually, now that I've looked at the axe code, it's entirely possible that I just got caught up in the fight and I had already hit the ettins I thought I was oneshotting. Still, 15*1d8 is awfully randomized, especially when the original Hexen wasn't nearly as random.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

"15d8"? holy crap what.

I still need to peek at the source too, I need to see how that shielding is done, maybe compare it to Terminus's project as well...
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:You are not supposed to smash your buttons. It's all about timing, not about how fast you press these buttons.
Yes, I'm fully awareof how it's supposed to work, it was precisely the basis of my complaint! I just happen to find it both extremely frustrating a thing to figure out while utterly unrewarding given how little the task of timing clicks has to do physically with making a cut with a weapon.

And, I should note, this can easily become completely unworkable online with lag.

Right now the single most reliable way to do a two-hit combo is to mash the attack key rapidly. Attempting anything else has a 75% "onesie" rate. I have not been given reason to believe a 3-hit combo actually exists.

Personally I don't mind the randomness much though it would be nice to have a way to avoid getting hit that doesn't--oh, right, shield.

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:I think the solution is simple: only Baratus should have the combos (since he is the melee badass, and he is supposed to be played by players that wants a more dynamic melee combat with more powerful melee attacks), and Parias's mace will work similar to the original (just hold the fire button and let it smash stuff, but with more animations of course).
This is probably for the best. (Granted, I pretty much always play Daedalon anyway those times I bother loading up Hexen...)

That all said, I do have one constructive suggestion: Why not base the shield bash on hitting altfire again, or leave it on primary make it possible to do it while holding down altfire? Right now having to let go of altfire completely feels like the opposite of "hit someone with the thing you're holding right now in front of you".

Or maybe the very raising the shield could be the bash, which would make it vastly more useful in melee (it being now generally better to just dodge most ranged attacks and always better to pre-emptively strike a melee'er dead or keep backing up).
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

DoomRater wrote:"15d8"? holy crap what.
I think you may have misread; I think he said 15*1d8, so a theoretical 15-120 damage per whack.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I was thinking rolling 15 dice, butyou're right, it's rolling 8 and weighing each roll by 15. Ooops. Still, yes, that MIGHT kill an ettin in one shot!

Edit: yeah, a shield bash by doubletapping altfire sounds amazing. Make that change, it'd be golden!
Eric_

Post by Eric_ »

It's not enough to actually oneshot, but it does mean that an ettin can take anywhere from 2 hits to 12 hits to actually die, which doesn't seem very Hexen-like to me.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Honestly, I'm all for setting it to a static amount of damage per hit (say, 40-60 for initial hits and more for each successive combo hit), but adding additional bonus damage for things like if the player is falling/mid-air, aiming high, or attacking the enemy from behind.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”