Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Crudux Cruo

Re: Somebody said Brutal HeXen? (still WIP)

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I like the original hexen, i think its fantastic. i love the way the fighter works now.

Would you be willing to divulge a little more on gameplay elements planned, and what the mage and the cleric might look like?
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

Not sure if this has been asked, but why hexen and not heretic? Not that I'm complaining of course, Just figured heretic was more like doom than hexen was as far as nonsensical slaughter
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

Xtyfe wrote:Not sure if this has been asked, but why hexen and not heretic? Not that I'm complaining of course, Just figured heretic was more like doom than hexen was as far as nonsensical slaughter
Maybe for the change of pace? This looks really refreshing compared to lots of running and gunning.
Pachira

Post by Pachira »

The ability to play three different dudes factored in his decision too probably.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I just wanted to say, that I fully support the idea of replacing the fists with the axe and shield. So here's a little something:
Attachments
This was extracted from WGRealms 2. It might need some work, though....
This was extracted from WGRealms 2. It might need some work, though....
OHLOOKY.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Alpha is uploaded. Go get it!

Nightfall wrote:I sure as hell hope the player is not going to be as slow as I percieve it to be in that video...
I was playing with a joystick. The game usually gets slower. The player actor's speed haven't been changed.

doomer1 wrote:Would you be willing to divulge a little more on gameplay elements planned, and what the mage and the cleric might look like?
Sure. The priest will be a supportive character. His initial kit will be the mace and an area healing spell. The Priest will have some initial blue mana to cast this spell. The secondary weapon will be the fire gloves that will shoot fireballs and will act similar to the warrior's Thunder Crossbow, but it will able to shoot faster, with more accuracy, and less mana cost and almost the same damage per shot, and the priest will still be able to use the mace (and even perform combos) when using the fire gloves. I am still not sure about the other weapons.

The Mage will be an offensive ranged character. His initial kit will be his wand and a dagger. The wand will deal a bit more damage than in the original game, but it will be semi auto like the Brutal Doom's rifle and can shoot fast if the player clicks faster. The dagger will deal very little damage, but it can make some stunt attack if a combo is chained right. Still not sure how his other weapons will work, but they will be the most powerful weapons of all classes.
Blox

Re: Brutal HeXen - Alpha Released

Post by Blox »

Well it's definitely a good first impression, I legitimately died a lot though. I can blame the unresponsiveness of the swinging post swing, though. (It's a really awkward pause of "hit me".)

I'd hugely advice against using those silly motion blurred sprites, however.

None of this will cure the biggest issue of all, though. Which is the absolutely crippling boredom from the seven portals. (And I hear there's worse later.)
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

There's no modeldef for the ceiling blood spots.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Already found me a fout hit combo: attack with ake and block just as it hits, then hold attack and tap altfire at the right moment again. After the block you'll shield bash as normal, then do the second attack and then the final bash.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

It feels so nice to slash things up with the axe and use a combo to bash something in the face with your shield. The shield combo was a really nice touch. HeXen really did need something like this, and I'm glad someone took the time to get this done.
BouncyTEM
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Using the shield should not alert monsters. There is no logical reason for this.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

@Slax
Now, if only Brutal Blood could be a thing.
You obviously haven't seen this.

@Sarge
This is really cool, it makes HeXen's combat so much more bearable!
Great work!

-TZK
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Sun May 26, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMo

Post by LordMo »

No fists and no fatalities? Shit. Guess I got this old WIP out of my backups for no reason.

Gonna have to give this a go anyways, because I wanna love Hexen but, hey, I can't.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

This is going to sound incredibly dumb, but perhaps the secondary fire for Fighter's crossbow could be toggleable iron sights? You'd move slower while aiming, but the bolts would move slightly faster, do slightly more damage, and be slightly more accurate.

Just a thought anyway. :p
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

@LordMo
Whoa, that's awesome!
Someone needs to remove the enemy from that and we might have a small base for some more fatalities!
I still think first person fatalities suit HeXen more than third person does however...
attack with ake and block just as it hits, then hold attack and tap altfire at the right moment again
Or you could just hit alt-fire and then quickly press attack... :p

-MBF

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”