Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

For in-development or completed ZDoom projects
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in this thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.

Brutal HeXen - BETA RELEASED

Postby Sergeant_Mark_IV » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:35 am

Brutal HeXen will be a complete revamp of HeXen's gameplay. It's not just more gore and fancy fire effects and particles. It takes the fighting to a whole new level, making the combat way more dynamic, brutal, realistic, and interesting.

Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS

Features:
Very dynamic and violent melee combat. Create chain combos, and study the enemy's behavior and learn when is the best time to attack or defend.
- Earn experience points by killing enemies (bonus points if you gib or execute them) and level up and increase your max health and get perks at every level.
- Blood, gore, and guts everywhere!
- Flares, new dynamic lights, and particles for fire, smoke, projectiles, and others.
- Better liquid textures. Lava also creates glows on walls (OpenGL only feature).
- Widescreen support for all weapons.

Planed features:
- Dynamic scenario with almost everything destroyable.
- Heretic compatibility

Spoiler: Baratus info

BETA 1 Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2cs10ch2hpa96c2
In this Beta, you can only play with Baratus. All weapons are working (but still need some touchups and new sounds). All monsters are "brutalized" and give XP. This Beta is for public testing purposes and feedback, and does not reflects the quality of the final product.
Last edited by Sergeant_Mark_IV on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:35 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Worse than Hitler.
Banned User

Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Re: Somebody said Brutal HeXen? (still WIP)

Postby Crudux Cruo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:40 am

If you keep this up you are going to permanently crash the forums with your awesomeness. I WANT YOUR BABIES :wub:
Crudux Cruo
"It's howdy doody time kiddies, the bad man is here."

Postby Zombieguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 am

WHATISTHISIDONTEVEN
Zombieguy

Postby epic40k » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 am

Thou art a SMITEMEISTER!
epic40k

Postby Blox » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am

but doth this solvest the problem of the maps?
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Jinal » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 am

For those who are expecting fatalities in Brutal Hexen prepare to be disappointed since I've recently left a comment on the video:

So much potential how brutal you can make Hexen to be especially the fatalities...I guess this can be a poor person's God of War?

And Sergeant Mark responded:

There will be no fatalities in Brutal HeXen. Brutal Doom has fatalities because unlike HeXen, the Doom community during the years created many Doomguy sprites that could make the fatalities possible. So, unless somebody can draw the fatality animations and send them to me to script them, it's not going to happen.

Although this could change in time hopefully....
Last edited by Jinal on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jinal

Postby Zombieguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

Blox wrote:but doth this solvest the problem of the maps?

Probably not. But it looks to me like the hacking and slashing as well as the violence has been improved and looks very attractive. So that's a positive note.
Jinal wrote:For those who are expecting Fatalities in Brutal Hexen prepare to be disappointed since I've recently left a comment on the video:

HeXen would be fun with fatalities, but I think the only reason Sarge even considered the fatality feature in Brutal Doom was because of the berserk power-up, and the creation of the Doom comic.
Zombieguy

Postby -Ghost- » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am

Nice. Are there any good level sets for Hexen though? The original levels are almost painful to play as a giant switch hunt. I'd definitely play this though, it might be able to make that base "campaign" more bearable. :P
-Ghost-

Postby BlueFireZ88 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 am

Seems like an interesting premise so far, I'd like to see what this becomes.
BlueFireZ88
Fight fire with BlueFire.

Postby Vaecrius » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 am

Blox wrote:the problem of the maps?
This. :|

It's the difference for me between "Yes! HeXen needed something like this! I would definitely play it." and "I don't care. I never play HeXen." (which ultimately gets my vote for the time being). 20 seconds into that first map and I usually stop playing.

Looking forward to this nonetheless.
Vaecrius
Team Bad Allocation, blast off at the speed of light!

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby DoomRater » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 am

HOW ARE YOU BLOCKING WITH THE SHIELD OMG
DoomRater
Flash Junkie

Postby Blox » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:45 am

The first map is alright.. But then..

Ugh. I never got past the metal realm. And that's like, the third portal. I'm absolutely lost from there. (Not to mention how cripplingly boring the entire thing is.)
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby -Ghost- » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:53 am

Yeah, that's the only thing I'd worry about. It could be a lot of effort for a game that doesn't really have any fun maps to play. I really like the *idea* of Hexen, but not the execution.
-Ghost-

Postby Zombieguy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I try to play and enjoy HeXen, but I just stop playing at a curtain point. But I tend to love hacking and slashing things up, so I'm pretty pumped. I think it'll make the gameplay more tasteful.
Zombieguy

Postby wildweasel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Perhaps we can convince Mr. Chris to make a Brutalized Hexen map pack that removes the puzzles and adds more baddies.
wildweasel
oh fine you get the old one back

Next

Return to Projects