Supplice - Out now on Steam!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Post by Captain J »

well if somebody doesn't like that machine gun, but not me.
i already keep waiting for all hours to play this wad!
lol by the way machine gun's color is remind me a wolfenstein lost level enemy color designs.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

Hold up, you assume i don't like the machine gun sprites i don't like them. I LOVE THEM.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Oh wow, more replies! I don't lurk around here often enough, sorry about that guys :P

I posted some miscellaneous shots a few days ago on Google+ and then Doomworld. So I suppose it would be a good idea to post them here too.

Image Image

I haven't updated the threads yet, but we escalated the project from pure Boom compatibility to MBF recently. I made this decision after working on some ideas to replace the Lost Soul with a new projectile in the dehacked patch. Turns out that MBF had some new bex features that I wasn't aware of, as well as a lot of extra frames to play with. Our compatibility was already unnecessarily confusing (Boom with MBF sky transfers...basically borrowing the latter even though they don't work in pure Boom). So to make things simpler and give us a bit more breathing room for the bex, I just bumped us up to full MBF compatibility. We gained more than we lost from that decision, I think.

Anyways, the two screenshots are just me screwing around in some test maps :P
Blox wrote:It's called multiple light sources. (Gotta prove you is fancy artist)

Though on that topic, I just spotted that what's seen of the glove on the right side doesn't have that blue backdrop, which looks kind of off.
Yup, that's pretty much the reason for the blue reflection on the right side of the sprite. While Cage and I talked about how we wanted the weapons to look, we tossed around the idea of going for a sort of blue metal look. So I think that's why he decided to try using the blue on the Rifle as a light reflection. I like it although it stands out a bit against areas that don't have any blue in them (eg. it makes more sense against the blue sky in E1). That's not a big deal though in my opinion...I prefer the stylized look regardless of the setting :)

Good point about the glove on the right side though, I'll have to bring that up with Cage and see what he thinks. I'd say it should probably match the blue reflection on the weapon.
Last edited by Mechadon on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

I really dig that marble.
Mechadon

Re: [WIP] Supplice -- On hiatus until further notice

Post by Mechadon »

I was playing around in our resource wad tonight and it dawned on me that I haven't updated this thread in a long while. I was also listening to one of the Tango TV Part B sessions (the one with some of the project/community discussion), and I picked up on the fact that not a whole lot is really known about Supplice. So hey, here's an update! But it's not all good news.

Cage, our main mad graphic/sprite guy, had to take an extended leave from the project due to some real life circumstances. This actually happened months ago and I just didn't bother to update. Anywho, last time I talked with him, he isn't planning on leaving the project entirely, but is just taking a sabbatical until further notice.

I'm really pushing to finish up Vela Pax this year. So I took Cage's break as an opportunity to focus myself towards Vela Pax as much as possible. So in effect this means that I am also not working on Supplice, at least not in a direct manner.

So the tl;dr version is this - Supplice is on hiatus until further notice. Basically I'm not going to work on Supplice until I finish Vela Pax (unless I get so sick of Vela Pax that I just need to work on something else). Jimmy and Bouncy are still on board with the project, as far as I know, and they may or may not be working on it in our absence.

Oh yea, there is some good news! Bouncy joined the team recently as a sound effects guy :). We're hoping for new sounds for the weapons, environment actions, some of the new monsters, and anything else we can replace once those areas are filled.

Also, while we are on hiatus, the good news is that 2012 was super productive for the project. We've got right around 1300 textures and flats in complete and semi-complete states. The dehacked work for the new monsters, updated monsters, and tweaked weapons is pretty much done. I would say at least half of the new sprites are finished (the majority being items and decorations). Jimmy has made some really awesome music so far. And Bouncy has donated some excellent sound effects that should help reinforce the industrial~ish mood of the project.

There's just a ton of stuff we've gotten done, and most of it hasn't really seen the light of day yet. I'm not sure what the best method to show off this new stuff is since we don't really have any maps to speak of (other than test maps and what was made for the project announcement). So I might try to leak some more content in the future :)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

oh wow, now that's fancy enough.
coming out faster you can, i can't wait for rip that machine gun!
oODemonologistOo

Post by oODemonologistOo »

You could do variants of the rifle with different lights depending on what color the skies are in the maps, and give the player the appropriate colored rifle at the beginning of the game, silently, through ACS. That'd be cool.

Then again, it'd be silly if other weapons didn't have such thing.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Since they're using dehacked, I doubt they'll be doing that sort of thing.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

oODemonologistOo wrote:You could do variants of the rifle with different lights depending on what color the skies are in the maps, and give the player the appropriate colored rifle at the beginning of the game, silently, through ACS. That'd be cool.

Then again, it'd be silly if other weapons didn't have such thing.
Yea unfortunately since this is a Boom project (specifically it's MBF-based), there's no really way for us to do that. Well, at least not for the base compatible port, which is MBF. However it might be possible to pull something like this off as a ZDoom-only feature. It would depend on how much extra would it would require, both in terms of setting up the decorate as well as the different weapon sprites. If we did try to do specific weapon shading per episode, I would want to do it for all of the weapons and not just the Rifle. Right now there are a ton of other things that take priority over a feature like that, so I don't know if we'll be able to pull it off...though I admit it would look pretty cool :)
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Hello fellers! I'm glad some of your are digging what Cage, Jimmy, and myself are attempting to plant. We're still technically on a hiatus from this project, but a few weeks ago I decided to play around with our resources on some existing DM maps of mine. This kind of jump started a spurt of activity which led me to semi-plan a screenshot showcase of Doom's 20th.

So first, have some screenshots!

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I can't post them all at once, so here's an album with all of them.

Jimmy and I both converted some maps and Cage worked on a few new textures and sprites. I haven't shown off much in regards to this project, so I hope this slew of screenshots will be somewhat interesting to look at. Most of our "themes" cover more terrestrial stuff, though I did attempt a gothic/hell themed map as you can see. As time goes on, we will have more and more textures to play with of varying designs and themes.

So I guess one obvious question is why are we doing DM maps when Supplice is supposed to be a SP/COOP affair? That's a good question! A while back I decided that if we have some down time working on other projects, that it might be cool to do a DM pack alongside the main project. Our resource pool keeps growing and it would be a shame to not utilize it as much as possible. After all, there will only be 6 maps per episode in the main project, which isn't much if you wanna play with the resources a lot. So as we continue working, we'll be doing some DM maps on the side. I don't really have a set goal on a number of maps, but I think we'll just do whatever we feel comfortable with. So far I've done 5 finished maps and Jimmy has done 2, so that's a pretty respectable start. There are a few more 32in24 maps I wanna convert and I also have some more obscure/unknown DM maps from the past that I will likely heavily revamp as well. So if we end up with a megawad of DM maps, then that's just more content for you guys :)

If you guys have any questions, shoot them at me and I will happily answer them.
Blox

Re: [WIP] Supplice -- Oh hey, DM maps!

Post by Blox »

I'm not so keen on the sphere in
Is it a placeholder or does it look better animated?

oh and i just noticed the bottom-middle bricks on the left side are misaligned (the top one and the entire right side is correct)
Hareton

Post by Hareton »

It's great that this mod has some unique style.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

man, glad to see you're back! i hope this wad finished soon.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Blox wrote:Is it a placeholder or does it look better animated?
Yea, it looks better animated, of course. But if you don't like the base design seen in the screenshots, then I'm not entirely sure you'll like it animated either :P. It uses a Doom64 Soulsphere~ish animated where the face fades in and out. I'm quite happy with it, but please feel free to make any suggestions you might have.

Thanks for the comments guys! We don't have a deadline set since we just work on this whenever we get the free time at the moment. The project is technically on hiatus but we had a nice sprint of activity before Doom's 20th birthday. So I took that opportunity to post some screenshots of the things we had worked on.
Nightfall

Post by Nightfall »

The vibrant colors still look wonderful. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”