[WIP] Supplice -- Oh hey, DM maps!

For in-development or completed ZDoom projects
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in this thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] Supplice -- Oh hey, DM maps!

Postby Mechadon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 pm

You are a UAC terraformer worker stationed on a faraway planet named Methuselah. Methuselah is an ancient planet which orbits an odd binary star system. The UAC is interested in Methuselah because of some unknown temporal anomalies that surround it. It's extreme distance from any other settlements prompts the UAC to experiment with a very powerful teleportation network called the Flux Engine. In order for the Flux Engine to be able to reach inter-solar settlements, a number of flux gates have to be created on other worlds so that teleportation traffic can hop out to distant worlds. It is the job of the engineers that traveled to Methuselah to build a flux gate which will link up to a another distant UAC base on a transitional world called Bellerophon. Shortly after the gate is activated for the first time, an old, withered man tumbles through the gate, his sanity completely lost. Hidden in his ramblings are the tells of a horrific invasion by otherworldly beasts. Rescue parties are sent through the gate, only to find a decrepit base, nearly falling apart at the seams and completely devoid of any life. Battle scars from long ago plaster the rusting base. Fearful of the unknown, the military stationed on Methuselah send a massive army through the gate to the base on Bellerophon in order to retake and repair it. Orders are sent to the the engineers on Methuselah to close the gate behind them. Days later, the gate reopens on its own, and a few marines shamble through, some missing limbs, others with their skin torn from their body. Before the engineers have a chance to react, demonic abominations start to flood through the gate. They quickly overwhelm what is left of Methuselah’s military and millions are slaughtered; the planet is overrun. As the population is decimated, the demons begin to die out slowly. You resolve to try and make it to the flux gate while the demons are dying out before being caught and slaughtered. You hope to make it back to the hopeful safety of an inter-soloar world. So you set off to get off of the dead planet before it’s too late. Although unbeknownst to you, it is already far, far too late.

--------

Supplice is a Boom-compatible megawad for Doom II with the base port compatibility being MBF. The goal of the project is to create a set of singleplayer (possibly COOP) maps using all-new textures, graphics, sprites, sounds, and music. In addition there are a number of new monsters and some weapon alterations via dehacked. We are replacing so many things that Supplice is pretty much a partial TC at this point; some sounds and sprites will remain but most everything else will be replaced or tweaked from the original source content. There is a new color palette, all new objects and decorations, new sprites for all of the pickups and powerups, new weapon sprites, some new projectile sprites, brand new textures and flats, all new fonts and miscellaneous graphics, 5 new monsters (and maybe 2 more on the way), tweaks to three of the original weapons, some new music by Jimmy, and we're also hoping for new sounds for the weapons, environment, and anything else we can replace.

The project will be separated into 6 episodes that are 5 maps long each, Scythe II style. Each episode will have it's own theme and setting, following a skeleton story. The story is set in the Doom universe and is loosely connected to Doom and Doom II, though the only emphasis on story will come from the episodic flow, new graphics, and intermission texts (and probably a preface in a readme somewhere). The overall look and feel we're going for is a sort of industrial and dark look, perhaps similar to Doom 64 and Quake II in some ways. To help facilitate that, we're using all-new textures and new weapon sprites, among other things.

Gameplay will probably be varied, but overall paced with difficulty curves going up both within each episodes and between each episode. Ideally the map lengths will range from short to medium with a large map or two in each episode (but we'll see how that works :P). The maps will be moderately detailed but focus on interesting layouts and encounters first.

To give a little background on the project for those who saw my first announcement about two years ago, originally the project was to be my foray into attempting the "one-man megawad". It was going to use some new graphics and textures but still leave many of the Doom II resource intact. However as time went by, the project's scope grew into something way more ambitious and unique. I decided to try and make my own new textures for the project, and then even started replacing some of the simpler sprites and objects. I also wanted to try and learn how to use dehacked, so I added some new monsters and tweaked some other things. Eventually I decided to treat the project more like a partial TC and enlisted the help of Jimmy and Cage. Jimmy has done some really great music so far and is looking to contribute to the mapping. Cage is our graphics man who has done the majority of the texture and sprite work (and has cleaned up some of my stuff). We've worked very well together so far and I think we are all really excited to see how this project turns out!

If you have any questions or comments, we will be very happy to hear them :)

Updates: 11/28/2012
- Our first update! We've been working on getting enough content together for this announcement for a while now. Cage really wanted me to show off some of his hard work, but I stalled our efforts by making something stupidly huge just to showcase what E1 will probably look like. Jimmy did the E4 concept map and it is more in-line for what a show case map should be. Note that these maps are really only meant to show off some of the art assets and not really what the mapping will look like in the main project. Also some of the art assets will likely be tweaked or redone eventually, but we are always open to feedback regardless!
- What your seeing in the showcase maps, as I mentioned, are the new textures, some of the new objects and pickup sprites, possibly some new monsters, and one of the new weapon sprites for a new weapon.
- I don't know what I'm going to do with my monstrous test map right now. It goes over the SEGS limit, which keeps me from using it some of our compatible ports. If someone needs me to contribute a map for something, let me know! Although if we decide to forgo the SEGS limit and use the ZDoom node format, I may end up using it for this project anyways.

Updates: 11/28/2012
- So it looks like Supplice might have a DM map set in addition to the main project! In honor of Doom's 20th birthday, Jimmy, Cage, and myself put together a showcase of some DM maps that we have Supplice'd for your viewing enjoyment. You can catch the album of screenshots by clicking this bit o' text.
- Also, we are still technically on hiatus. But spurts of activity do occur from time to time. I will update everyone once we begin normal production once again.

Releases:
- Music
Alien
Dark Matter
Monstrance
Splitting the Atom

Dev Team:
- Mechadon (mechanical overlord, mapper, sprites and graphics)
- Jimmy (musician, mapper)
- Cage (sprites and graphics)
- Bouncy (sound fx)
* We may be looking for additional help soon!

Progress:
- MAPS: No official maps started yet. We'll list individual maps here when mapping starts.
- GFX: 60%~ish
- SFX: 15%~ish
- Music: 40%~ish

Screenshots
- See here for initial announcement screenshots.
- Doom's 20th birthday Supplice DM showcase: Click here

Links:
- Mekworx page
- ZDoom project thread
Last edited by Mechadon on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mechadon
Vivat Acedia

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Postby Springy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Good to see this still being worked on, amazing shots as always Mech. If you need help with testing in the future I can if you want.
Springy
Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen.

Postby Nightfall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 pm

I really dig how that blue looks. The textures look amazing and the architechture is the usual brilliance. :)
Nightfall

Postby Blox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:51 pm

stop hacking god damn it
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Mechadon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for the positive comments guys :D. I would have had this out much earlier than this, but I went sort of crazy on my concept map. It's not entirely my fault though, Cage's textures were too much fun to work with.

@Springy: I will definitely keep you in mind for testing! Hopefully we'll start some mapping soon.

@Nightfall: Glad you like the blues, that was the first range I edited when tweaking the palette. I was shooting for Quake-style blues and I guess it's pretty close. We've got new greens, more yellows to work with, and a bunch of other palette changes to make everything look just a bit more colorful but contrasted.
Mechadon
Vivat Acedia

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Oooh, very nice looking. Very nice indeed. :yup:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby wildweasel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

This is beautiful! Cage's work on the weapon sprite is especially amazing (is it animated yet? I drool at the possibility!).
wildweasel
yes, still a forum moderator

Location: america, home of the world's most expensive public education system

Postby Mechadon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Yup, it's animated and pretty much complete at this point. I'm not sure if he is going to edit it further but I'm really happy with it as it is. I can't wait to see how he does the rest of the weapons :)

By the way, that weapon is a faster firing rifle which replaces the Pistol. It behaves more like a slower firing Chaingun.
Mechadon
Vivat Acedia

Postby esselfortium » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Seriously cool bears :)

The texture set looks really yummy, and for example maps these look pretty involved!

A couple things that stood out to me as odd:
- The grass should probably just be using the desaturated greens, as the bright teal highlights look rather unnatural and "lol paletted graphics"
- With all the custom textures you have in this, I was really surprised to see the IWAD-stock UAC shawn texture :P
- The colormapping seems off in some textures, like the orange pixels here. I'm assuming you guys did something similar to BTSX's palette/colormap to make stuff like lava and orange lights fade more seamlessly in the dark, but as a side effect of it, orange on regular walls and stuff ends up glowing in rather glitchy-looking ways. Might have to color-remap those textures to switch the oranges for similar tans.

Also, I have no idea if you have room in the palette for it, but some sort of orangey-magenta range could complement the teal greens really well, a la Retroblazer. I kept expecting to see something like it in there :P
esselfortium
A Birdcage Until Further Notice

Postby Nash » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

I'd forgotten how beautiful maps in the software renderer can look. :') Ten thumbs up! Awesome stuff! Can't wait to play these maps.
Nash

Postby Estopolis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Great screenshots and amazing spritework.

Will all weapons end up with new sprites or just the tweaked ones?
Either way, looking forward to this.
Estopolis

Postby scalliano » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:55 pm

mmm...cyan...
scalliano
And I know how to use them.

Postby SamVision » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm

The blues are a good break from the browns and greens.
SamVision
"We'll show him!"

Postby Scuba Steve » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Holy shit, this is amazing. Where did this project come from?

Pre-posting in the 2013 Cacowards thread.
Scuba Steve

Postby Nightfall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:35 pm

Mechadon wrote:Although unbeknownst to you, it is already far, far too late.

I just thought... how is it unbeknownst to me that it's too late if you're telling it to me right here in this thread? o_O
Nightfall

Next

Return to Projects