[WIP] Supplice -- Totally not dead!

For in-development or completed ZDoom projects
Forum rules
Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in the project ideas thread instead!
Please read the full rules for more details.
Projects for 3DGE are perfectly acceptable here too.

[WIP] Supplice -- Totally not dead!

Postby Mechadon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 pm

What is Supplice?

• A singleplayer/coop campaign that will have 30 maps (+ secret maps) of 6 distinct settings/themes, which will be split into 3 episodes. The themes/settings will follow a skeleton story, much like the original Doom.
  • There will also be a Deathmatch map pack with a varying number of maps (we have no set map limit in mind, just whatever we feel like making that ends up being good).
  • The project will be mostly based off of Doom 2′s core gameplay. However this is not meant to be a vanilla-style project. The base is Doom 2, but we are adding and changing some things around. We are going for a mix of old and new.
  • We’re using ZDoom as our engine (with Zandronum compatibility for multiplayer stuff). GZDoom support/enhancements are also planned. Eternity compatibility might be possible, but its not a priority at this time.
  • As far as map gameplay goes, we’re shooting for a pretty middling difficulty curve – definitely harder than the vanilla Doom maps on the whole, but nothing approaching slaughterfest levels. Difficulty levels will be implemented so that almost anyone should be able to play it at the difficulty they prefer. Map size will stay around medium-size on average, with a few larger maps thrown in. (I know some of you know what kind of maps I generally make, and it is a concern that we’ve had. So we’re sticking with Boom format for the maps as a design restriction. But I’m also going to try very hard to make the maps normal sized, I promise!).
  • We’ll have an entirely new texture set and color palette/colormap. You won’t see a single Doom 2 vanilla texture resource being used.
  • In addition, there will be graphic/sprite replacements for just about everything except for monsters. This includes weapons, pickups, decorations, fonts, menus, and so on. Some existing monsters will have new looks though.
  • Visually, we’re going for a slightly more colorful, cleaner look over the usual Doom 2 style. Though we have been inspired by other mods and games such as Doom 64, Quake/Quake II, Back to Saturn X, other various 90s FPS games, and even the original Doom games.
  • Weapons will be a mix of old and new behaviors. Each ammo type has two weapons, and there will be a total of 10 weapons. In addition, each weapon will have their own primary and secondary firing modes (ala Unreal).
  • There will be a total of 15 powerups, 7 of which are brand new.
  • Some new hazard objects will be added, such as exploding brimstone, nuclear barrels, and so on.
  • There will be lots of new decoration objects including things like lights, industro-pillars™, and gore.
  • The demon bestiary will be changed up and expanded. At current there are 24 total monsters, with 3 more planned. 11 of those are brand-new and/or replacing vanilla monsters. This also includes a brand-new big boss demon.
  • A brand-new soundtrack, composed by our good friend Jimmy, will accompany each map and title/intermission screens.
  • Many sound effects will be replaced. Exceptions to this are the stock vanilla Doom monsters, they will mostly likely be retaining their original sounds.

If you have any questions or comments, we will be very happy to hear them :)

Releases:
- Music
Alien
Dark Matter
Monstrance
Splitting the Atom
Euthanizer
Dead Eyed
- GFX/Sprites
Supplice artwork timelapse #1
Supplice artwork timelapse #2

Screenshots:
- DM Maps
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dev Team:
  • Mechadon: Project lead, resource organizer, mapper, and lazytron. I’ve also done a good bit with sprites/graphics and some coding.
  • Jimmy: Musical wizard, mapper, and general advice giver/helpful person/good friend. He’s been helping me out with the project pretty much from the beginning doing all sorts of stuff.
  • Cage: Artist extraordinaire. Cage has saved this project from my very mediocre graphic creation skills and has uplifted it to something truly amazing.
  • Pillowblaster: DECORATE maestro. Pillowblaster is a recent addition to the team and is going to help us out with the coding-heavy portions of the project.
* We may be looking for additional help soon!

Links:
- Dev-Blog
- Mekworx project page
- Doomworld project thread
Last edited by Mechadon on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mechadon
Lazytron

Re: [WIP] Supplice

Postby Springy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Good to see this still being worked on, amazing shots as always Mech. If you need help with testing in the future I can if you want.
Springy
Yes indeed ladies and gentlemen.

Postby Nightfall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

I really dig how that blue looks. The textures look amazing and the architechture is the usual brilliance. :)
Nightfall

Postby Blox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:51 pm

stop hacking god damn it
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Mechadon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for the positive comments guys :D. I would have had this out much earlier than this, but I went sort of crazy on my concept map. It's not entirely my fault though, Cage's textures were too much fun to work with.

@Springy: I will definitely keep you in mind for testing! Hopefully we'll start some mapping soon.

@Nightfall: Glad you like the blues, that was the first range I edited when tweaking the palette. I was shooting for Quake-style blues and I guess it's pretty close. We've got new greens, more yellows to work with, and a bunch of other palette changes to make everything look just a bit more colorful but contrasted.
Mechadon
Lazytron

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Oooh, very nice looking. Very nice indeed. :yup:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby wildweasel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 pm

This is beautiful! Cage's work on the weapon sprite is especially amazing (is it animated yet? I drool at the possibility!).
wildweasel
the world needs more positive thoughts, more than ever.

Location: The USA, where it's wise to tread lightly given recent events

Postby Mechadon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Yup, it's animated and pretty much complete at this point. I'm not sure if he is going to edit it further but I'm really happy with it as it is. I can't wait to see how he does the rest of the weapons :)

By the way, that weapon is a faster firing rifle which replaces the Pistol. It behaves more like a slower firing Chaingun.
Mechadon
Lazytron

Postby esselfortium » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Seriously cool bears :)

The texture set looks really yummy, and for example maps these look pretty involved!

A couple things that stood out to me as odd:
- The grass should probably just be using the desaturated greens, as the bright teal highlights look rather unnatural and "lol paletted graphics"
- With all the custom textures you have in this, I was really surprised to see the IWAD-stock UAC shawn texture :P
- The colormapping seems off in some textures, like the orange pixels here. I'm assuming you guys did something similar to BTSX's palette/colormap to make stuff like lava and orange lights fade more seamlessly in the dark, but as a side effect of it, orange on regular walls and stuff ends up glowing in rather glitchy-looking ways. Might have to color-remap those textures to switch the oranges for similar tans.

Also, I have no idea if you have room in the palette for it, but some sort of orangey-magenta range could complement the teal greens really well, a la Retroblazer. I kept expecting to see something like it in there :P
esselfortium

Postby Nash » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 pm

I'd forgotten how beautiful maps in the software renderer can look. :') Ten thumbs up! Awesome stuff! Can't wait to play these maps.
Nash

Postby Estopolis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Great screenshots and amazing spritework.

Will all weapons end up with new sprites or just the tweaked ones?
Either way, looking forward to this.
Estopolis

Postby scalliano » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:55 pm

mmm...cyan...
scalliano
My legs are cold.

Postby SamVision » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

The blues are a good break from the browns and greens.
SamVision
"You look pretty good."

Postby Scuba Steve » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Holy shit, this is amazing. Where did this project come from?

Pre-posting in the 2013 Cacowards thread.
Scuba Steve

Postby Nightfall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Mechadon wrote:Although unbeknownst to you, it is already far, far too late.

I just thought... how is it unbeknownst to me that it's too late if you're telling it to me right here in this thread? o_O
Nightfall

Next

Return to Projects