Extermination Day Megawad Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
X-DOOM

Re: Extermination Day Megawad Project

Post by X-DOOM »

Looking good
LegendaryFalco

Post by LegendaryFalco »

well according to his FB page sarge might plan on finishing this up
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Mogul wrote:If the completion of the megawad doesn't interfere with the release of Brutal v19, then I suppose finish the megawad. Otherwise, we have plenty of great megawads to play with Brutal and it's not necessary to have another one. I would much rather have the "definitive" release of Brutal than have to wait.
For now I am just working on this one hour a week. My current focus in Brutal Doom v19. Only after that I will get fully concerned about this project.

And just for the sake of posting progress reports:
I have been updating some maps so they don't look like exactly like the separated versions already released on /idgames. I am adding more detail, and new areas to explore. On Downtown (After the Holocaust) for example, I found a way to noticeable reduce the lag on old computers when looking at the main square, and I am adding more detail to many areas. Gonna post some comparative screenshots tonight.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

My honest opinion, sarge:

Release BD 19 asap, then put maybe a third of your time towards Extermination Day, and the rest of it towards Brutal HeXen.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

I have been updating some maps so they don't look like exactly like the separated versions already released on /idgames. I am adding more detail, and new areas to explore. On Downtown (After the Holocaust) for example, I found a way to noticeable reduce the lag on old computers when looking at the main square, and I am adding more detail to many areas. Gonna post some comparative screenshots tonight.
Awesome. Your Downtown map is the one I always play for challenges and strategy, and it never gets old. I just wished there were more maps like it and bigger with more urban features. What I would recommend for this map is bullet proof glass on the warehouse building near the truck, and perhaps a Gun shop nearby instead of one too many restaurants. I would also try to do something about the automatic aim screwing debris around the building which has imps above it (the one through which you jump into the lamp post to get to the restaurant. I say this because unless I'm standing really far from this debris, those annoying imps above are safe from my weapons as the shooting never goes where the crosshair aims.

Lastly, please put some more room in the area where you get ambushed by the bruisers to get the yellow key. You are almost, always likely to lose here if you run out of room and have to resort to retreating to the elevators outside.
Mogul

Post by Mogul »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:
Mogul wrote:If the completion of the megawad doesn't interfere with the release of Brutal v19, then I suppose finish the megawad. Otherwise, we have plenty of great megawads to play with Brutal and it's not necessary to have another one. I would much rather have the "definitive" release of Brutal than have to wait.
For now I am just working on this one hour a week. My current focus in Brutal Doom v19. Only after that I will get fully concerned about this project.

Cool, so Brutal v19 will be out, then some time in the future, the map pack?
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Mogul wrote:
Cool, so Brutal v19 will be out, then some time in the future, the map pack?
I'm hoping these map packs intended for BD will be possible on black metal mode. Maybe I just suck major donkey dick but I can't picture beating brutalized doom 1/2 levels on that mode. I also cant picture beating a cyber demon after flipping it off using fists alone, but I'm sure someone out there thinks they can do it. Also, it would be nice to have another map pack made by you mark, I liked your maps.
Brujah4

Post by Brujah4 »

I am looking forward to playing your mappack first for a full brutal doom experience.
Then I can wait for a stable brutal hexen version.

greets
brujah4
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Hornetzero wrote:
Awesome. Your Downtown map is the one I always play for challenges and strategy, and it never gets old. I just wished there were more maps like it and bigger with more urban features. What I would recommend for this map is bullet proof glass on the warehouse building near the truck, and perhaps a Gun shop nearby instead of one too many restaurants. I would also try to do something about the automatic aim screwing debris around the building which has imps above it (the one through which you jump into the lamp post to get to the restaurant. I say this because unless I'm standing really far from this debris, those annoying imps above are safe from my weapons as the shooting never goes where the crosshair aims.

Lastly, please put some more room in the area where you get ambushed by the bruisers to get the yellow key. You are almost, always likely to lose here if you run out of room and have to resort to retreating to the elevators outside.
Yes, there will be more exploration-focused maps on this megawad. The modified "City Assault" version that will appear in this megawad will be a non-linear map, there will be some very big hellish maps full of exploration, and one map in the Mojave desert. I will chance the warehouse windows into something without glass, and I will remove the SHOOTABLE flag from the debris.
About the yellow key area, I will leave it how it is. That is supposed to be a "timed battle", which you must kill the bruisers before they get able to corner you.
mumblemumble wrote:I'm hoping these map packs intended for BD will be possible on black metal mode.
I wouldn't count on that. Black Metal mode is like a joke mode for people complaining for the recent difficult nerfs happening on the latest versions, and was only playtested on Ultimate Doom. I mean, what's wrong with the ol good Ultraviolence? Isn't it hard enough? These maps are going to be pretty hard with very scarce ammo on UV.
LegendaryFalco

Post by LegendaryFalco »

id say the hardest i know is possible is plutonia 1 on black metal but maybe plutonia 2 is possible as well
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote: I wouldn't count on that. Black Metal mode is like a joke mode for people complaining.
Yeah, I kinda guessed that. Although it is a nice way to make online mode with 4+ people a little less 1 sided =)
LegendaryFalco wrote:id say the hardest i know is possible is plutonia 1 on black metal but maybe plutonia 2 is possible as well
Nah, I doubt those would work on black metal very well MAINLY because many levels start you out completely fucking surrounded. Maybe its just me, but I think maps which start you off on a map flanked and exposed by 5 chain gunners and 5 shotgun guys is pretty [censored word], simply because its more like a health and armor check than an actual challenge. This is my opinion of course, but using high risks of inescapable damage (being swarmed and without any place for cover) seems cheap.

Course, I again could just be a "crappy" player...I've seen someone beat all of doom2 on black metal, and I've beaten knee deep in dead on it, so I know its not impossible.

Btw, slightly off topic but will there be another thread for brutal doom made at some point? Or will I need to report glitches to you personally, or use fb, or what?
southpark2010

Post by southpark2010 »

mumblemumble wrote: Btw, slightly off topic but will there be another thread for brutal doom made at some point? Or will I need to report glitches to you personally, or use fb, or what?
I think making another thread based on a locked one is against the forum rules. Maybe FB, or the Zandronum thread is probably the best option right now.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Just to be clear, I would really rather there not be another Brutal Doom thread so soon after the last one got closed. I'd rather that particular topic take a long rest at this point, because the thread invited way too much heat.
Daft_Guy

Post by Daft_Guy »

This is really a megawad!! :shock:
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Progress report:

I have been working on some areas of Downtown. Here are some comparative screenshots showing the version on idgames and the new version.

Here you can see that the area where the cyberdemon comes from is much more detailed, and the bridge doesn't vanishes in the air.

Detail differences are quite notable here. No further explanation is required.
wildweasel wrote:Just to be clear, I would really rather there not be another Brutal Doom thread so soon after the last one got closed. I'd rather that particular topic take a long rest at this point, because the thread invited way too much heat.
That's ok. I already got enough buglists to work on. There's no reason to get that thread unlocked before the release.

Return to “Levels”