Call of Dooty (If Doom was done today) [Released]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Call of Dooty (If Doom was done today) [Released]

Post by Project Shadowcat »

0bsidian wrote:Wait, what? That's what I used and it crashed anyway.
I dunno, Works For Me (tm).
There was also this dodgy-looking bit with a MIDBARS texture that went under the floor.
Yes, I remember that bit now, there's a couple ways to fix that, though.
Still, it plays fine in Vanilla ZDoom for me, small visual bugs and whatnot.
Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

0bsidian wrote:Wait, what? That's what I used and it crashed anyway. There was also this dodgy-looking bit with a MIDBARS texture that went under the floor.
Yeah, the issue with the MIDBARS texture is one that's specific to ZDoom. I really should've mentioned in my original post that GZDoom is highly recommended (although the README does state it) because ZDoom makes the level look quite terrible. Aside from the issues you've mentioned, the fog also looks like complete crap with ZDoom and due to the distortion when the camera is above a certain level of pitch, the "waking up after the nuke" scene is more or less ruined/just doesn't look right.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Vanilla ZDoom issues don't excuse bad mapping habits in the case of the MIDBARS issue, just to let you know. I'll accept my Z-shearing and 256 color visual palette to avoid using my video card any more than I already am.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Doesn't setting clipmidtextures in the MAPINFO fix the MIDBARS issue?
Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Vanilla ZDoom issues don't excuse bad mapping habits in the case of the MIDBARS issue, just to let you know. I'll accept my Z-shearing and 256 color visual palette to avoid using my video card any more than I already am.
I understand, but honestly it isn't so much a bad mapping habit as it is a single missing line from MAPINFO (ClipMidTextures). I hadn't thought to put it there because this was designed for GZDoom since day one, therefore I never really noticed the issue. I make no apologizes for designing exclusively for GZDoom and I specifically listed it as the required engine/port in the README file.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Chubzdoomer wrote:Yeah, the issue with the MIDBARS texture is one that's specific to ZDoom. I really should've mentioned in my original post that GZDoom is highly recommended (although the README does state it) because ZDoom makes the level look quite terrible.
As strange as it is, aside from maybe the bit with the smoke after the nuclear strike, I thought the level actually looked a bit better in Software, heh. Seems like the desaturation effect reducing all the colors was even more effective in software.

Also, the "out of combat zone" effect can be survived if you have the version that enables the armor pickup, as I recall. That's some pretty powerful armor there, being able to stop plot-related killings, heh.
Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

InsanityBringer wrote:
Chubzdoomer wrote:Yeah, the issue with the MIDBARS texture is one that's specific to ZDoom. I really should've mentioned in my original post that GZDoom is highly recommended (although the README does state it) because ZDoom makes the level look quite terrible.
As strange as it is, aside from maybe the bit with the smoke after the nuclear strike, I thought the level actually looked a bit better in Software, heh. Seems like the desaturation effect reducing all the colors was even more effective in software.

Also, the "out of combat zone" effect can be survived if you have the version that enables the armor pickup, as I recall. That's some pretty powerful armor there, being able to stop plot-related killings, heh.
You're right. And dangit, I'd just hired a brand new QA team! Now those guys are fired as well.

The issue has been fixed and the files re-uploaded.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Heh, I noticed that and thought it was intended given I got an achievement out of it.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Hmm I just noticed...is the "assume they speak another language" quote a reference to MoH Warfighter PAHAHAHAHA? :P
Chubzdoomer

Post by Chubzdoomer »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Hmm I just noticed...is the "assume they speak another language" quote a reference to MoH Warfighter PAHAHAHAHA? :P
Is there really a line of dialogue somewhat like that in Warfighter?

It was actually just in reference to the foreigners we're always blasting in these war games. Germans, Italians, Russians, Middle Eastern terrorists, etc. "Anyone who speaks another language must be evil!"

If similar dialogue really is in Warfighter, though, that just makes it even better. I hope the answer is yes!
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I was referring to the ZP review of it, and I thought you might've got the reference from there :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

This reminds me why I almost never play FPS games anymore.
Mr. Tee

Post by Mr. Tee »

I just watched the videos and I'm still laughing! "The shotgun is good for killing enemies", LMAO! Downloading right now.

Do they really have markers like these in the real Call of Dooty-- oops, Call of Duty games? As soon as I saw the first red marker in the video, an involuntary thought immediately came up in my mind: "Freedom denied".

I would hate to play a first person shooter that would not let me advance unless I stood in a particular spot.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The waypoint markers have pretty much been a thing since the first Halo (though at least that game was merciful enough to not give you waypoints unless you spent more than a few minutes wandering aimlessly). Call of Duty: Black Ops just pastes a big yellow "FOLLOW" marker on top of one of your squadmates in the very first mission. It's not about completing the mission "your way" any more, it's about following the intricately defined script that the devs worked a whole year on. =P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”