Released - Neighborhood from Hell V2

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: WIP - Neighborhood from Hell

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

It would be cool if you added some dead civilians because at the moment the stage looks a little empty.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The original Suburbs was very empty of friendly casualties... until you found the big gore bin.

I'll assume Sarge has something along those lines planned, not to be spoiled.

EDIT: That said:
is terrifying enough.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Sergeant_Mark_IV wrote:Image
Hey, it's Mike Tyson's mansion from the 80s!
Sergeant_Mark_IV
Location: United Communist Nazi Republic Dictactorship of Banana Land (Brazil)

Post by Sergeant_Mark_IV »

Updated. Check first post for Download Link
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Released - Neighborhood from Hell

Post by wildweasel »

Outside of a few doors that don't have their doortracks unpegged, I rather liked this map!
perfectpitchrob

Post by perfectpitchrob »

I never figured out how to get the BFG in the aquaduct, but otherwise, I enjoyed the sandbox feel of the map as well as seeing how the areas from the very abstract original were turned into realistic buildings. Honestly, I hope there are more levels like this on the way. Levels like Industrial Zone, The Factory, and even Tenements would be neat to see done in this style!
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Whoa, excellent work Mark!
You should try and remake all of the maps, I love your style!
Have a beer (_)3

-TZK
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Sun May 26, 2013 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The gameplay is a sore disappointment compared to every other map you've made, Sarge.

There is none of the pacing from the original. All the monsters seem to attack you at once and unless you know where all the weapons and ammo are it's just a game of run around in circles until some random stray shot finishes you off.
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

The very beginning is especially bad... getting burned by an archvile while trying to avoid being splattered by the hell knight and revenants made me die in less than ten seconds on my first run.

There also seems to be extremely little health on the map; all I could find was a few well-hidden stimpacks and medikits along with a random berserk pack in one of the buildings.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Speaking of the beginning, do the enemies telephoner into the house or something? Because I am pretty sure there is no way into the house unless they have noclip on.
Paul

Post by Paul »

This was pretty fun (well, it was crappy and annoying until you figure out where the weapons are), but it felt like the most memorable part of the original map (the blue key platform outside the walls with the nukage and the cave with the invulnerability and teleporting monster swarm) was left out of this reimagining,

Maaan, you should have left that area in.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I was wondering where that went... (but yeah, despite the screenshots in actual play virtually nothing is recognizable, though I do give credit where it's due for the gore bins.)
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Very nice indeed! However, I came across a few minor bugs:

-The background buildings on the north side cause large HOMs in Zdoom 2.6.1 and weird walls-floating-in-air in GZdoom. See screenshots below.
-Sector 256 shouldn't be secret, because it is so small that it can't be triggered. Also, there is a minor HOM inside that secret fridge.
-Both Zdoom and GZdoom report several warnings during startup sequence, you might want to check them out.
Attachments
Floating wall in GZdoom
Floating wall in GZdoom
HOMs in Zdoom
HOMs in Zdoom
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

nfh05.jpg
Without downtown feel still great Beavis and Butthead style map!
Maybe its possible to desaturate the skytex to match the Doom lighting style.
Also im haveing some bsp clippings though useing the latest zdoom this time.
Last edited by Kaal979 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Zdoomer1337 wrote:You should make full level packs
This!
Sgt. Shivers wrote:It would be cool if you added some dead civilians because at the moment the stage looks a little empty.
And this. (As I told for the last map :p )

___
I "ran out of ammo" at the begging too. Like in the After Holocaust, but I guess it was maybe intentional, because these maps will maybe be sequence in a pack (?) However, it is fun for me to have to run away until find some way to fight. It is more realistic then nice ammo box in nice places, like God put them there to someone to get them. I mean, we wont find ammo boxes in fancy corners of the rooms if the invasion was true... we'd have to look "narrowly" for them. But maybe some dead guys in the streets with guns and ammo near them could do the work.

I rly hope you make more reinterpretations of the original maps. Maybe Industrial Zone next? :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”